DTCCTV

Legal requirements for CCTV

Hey guys,

I'm wondering does anyone here know much about the legal requirements when it comes to installing and maintaining CCTV systems.

I know this might vary in different areas in the UK but does anyone know the general rule of thumb.

Does CCTV need to be install in certain businesses?

I assume bookmakers, off-licence etc.... any others?

What are the licence conditions?

Recording 24hr?, Footage saved for 30 days? etc...

What is the minimum legal time for repair of a faulty camera / system in a store that has CCTV as a legal requirement?

Hours? Days?

Any information would be appreciated,

Thanks

Hey guys,

I'm wondering does anyone here know much about the legal requirements when it comes to installing and maintaining CCTV systems.

I know this might vary in different areas in the UK but does anyone know the general rule of thumb.

Does CCTV need to be install in certain businesses?

I assume bookmakers, off-licence etc.... any others?

What are the licence conditions?

Recording 24hr?, Footage saved for 30 days? etc...

What is the minimum legal time for repair of a faulty camera / system in a store that has CCTV as a legal requirement?

Hours? Days?

Any information would be appreciated,

Thanks

The legal rules relating to the use of CCTV by private businesses in the UK are defined by the Data Protection Act 1998, (there are additional legislation that the Public sector has to follow)

The regulator for the DPA is the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) and they have published a Code of Practice for the use of CCTV. A Google search should get you a copy.

There are also British and European Standards that the industry may/should follow.

See the BSI web site for BS 8418:2010 and the BS EN 50132 series.

There is no requirement for installation of CCTV in any particular business although Local authorities and Police may ask for the use of CCTV for some Licensed premises (pubs/clubs etc) although this should not be a blanket requirement

Hope this helps

Ilkie