I recently pulled wire, while my home was being renovated, for 7 cameras. None are more than 50' from the DVR but upon completion and preparing to install the cameras, I realized that I ran all the wires backwards.... I purchased power adapters as that appears to be the only connectivity issue. With those in place, all camera locations have power but of the 7, 3 are not providing video. I swapped cameras around and even tested the cameras with an extra wire to make sure they work. Is there some type of issue with the BNC connectors/video wiring that would restrict transmission to only run 1 direction? If not, is there a way to test the video cable to determine where there may be an issue within the cable itself? I know they have testers for coax but wasn't sure if there was a way to test the video line to see if there is a location I can open the ceiling to repair. Something similar to a electrical tester that you can identify where the "current" stops....

Thanks!

Thanks, the prefab wires are both female ended BNC cables so it has to be something within the wiring. Everything I did was in open space so it was placed more than pulled but who knows what happened. I had another that was working and within a little bit of getting the camera installed, the video stopped working.... Really SOL at this point since I have a flat rough and it is all now covered by drywall. I was looking at the wireless adapters but not sure what is the best since the power is still working but the video is shot or just going to a full wireless system but haven't looked into those cameras or what the battery life is. Suggestions?

Thanks

Hi. It sounds like you used the cheap lead kits which are never any good.

Just as a test chop the BNC of each end of your cable and use a balun on each end.

image.jpeg.14895daae75390ee6b6c26a03ebe9ca7.jpeg

Thanks, I'll give that a try. You think they old connectors are just bad or the entire wire? The wire is pretty thick so I find it hard to believe that it was the wire that went bad but who knows....

Thanks, I'll give that a try. You think they old connectors are just bad or the entire wire? The wire is pretty thick so I find it hard to believe that it was the wire that went bad but who knows....

Hi is it coax or wire

I'm not sure, I don't think it's coax, it's a thicker wire but not as thick as a typical coax but I could be wrong. I have a few different kinds, usually buy them on Amazon or Parts Express.

Cables may have been damaged by sheet rock crew .

If you didn't fasten the cables that you ran to any beams ,

Then you have another option .

Pick up a 500' spool of real rg59 siamese cable and tape it to your existing wires .now use your existing wires to pull the new cable in place .then

Install some new compression bnc's and power plugs and your done .

If you don't want to buy the spool and compression tool ,you can go to a local cctv-cameras supply house and have them make you real siamese cables any size . Then take advantage of amazons return dept.

So I was wrong, don't tell my wife. I bought the balms and cut the wires back on the 2 main lines I wanted to fix. It appears that they are coax, not as nice as a TV coax but still coax. I used the balums to check and sure enough, both wires worked after I cut them back and added the balums. Now I need to buy the coax bnc connectors to fix them properly. I'm assuming that the balums are just for wire connections though? Thanks for all your help. Any input in the coax to bnc connectors? Any specific ones I should get our avoid?

Thanks, I ordered some so hopefully they get here soon and I can finish things up with the cameras. The 2 that I used the balums on were probably the most beneficial as 1 was for the front door an the other was for the side yard, near our trash cans, as we have coyotes that have been knocking our cans over and I wanted to see when so I could stake out to potentially scare them away.

Yes, I actually have both styles. The one on the top is the one that I've cut and used the balum on just to make sure it worked and thus bought the BNC/Coax compression connectors. I still have the balums for the others unless there is a different, preferred replacement.

If your coax is rg59 like in Tom's first pic and you ordered rg59 bnc compression ends ,then everything should be OK but if your coax is the mini coax like in Tom's second pic then the rg59 ends will not work .stick with the baluns ,call it fixed for now.replace when/if you loose picture quality .

Somehow I assumed you were going to replace your existing cable with rg59 siamese cable .sorry,my bad .

Great, thanks. It isn't the cleanest or the easiest to make the the connections with the RG59 and the balums, kind of poor support so was going to do the compression for the 2 that match the rg59 coax and the balum for the smaller coax, at least for now. Thanks all.

Since I'm sure you're all eagerly awaiting the status....

I'm still waiting to receive the compression BNC/Coax fittings but I was able to at least test all of the locations with the balums and it appears that it was the fittings. I cut some back further than others as I didn't want to have to do it numerous times so if I got luck and cut out the bad portion of the wire, I'd be done. On the last few, I cut the fitting off right at the connection and replaced it with the balum and it worked immediately. On the balums, I used some pieces of 12-2 romex since the video wires were so thin and it was hard to fit those into the balums and be sure I had a good connection. I used the romex and put those in the balum and then used heat shrink to make the connection to the video wire and then put electrical tape around it to try to ensure it wasn't going to come apart. I'm not sure if this was the best method but it seemed like the best option to ensure a good connection and a long term connection. I haven't sealed everything up yet so if there are any cons to this or alternatives, I'm happy to hear them.

Thanks

I received my compression connectors, I bought the coax stripper as well but it didn't cut the outside sheath back far enough so wasted a few compression connectors until I figured that out. Then I pulled it back another 1/4-1/2" and had no issues. Now all cameras are up and operational. On the balums, I used 12 G wire to connect the balum since the 22 G wire in the video wire was so thin and then used heat connectors to make sure there was a solid connection and then taped the entire run from balum to the main sheath of the video wire. A lot of trial and error, probably made it to be a lot harder than it should of been but the information on YouTube isn't always that self explanatory or identifies potential problems. Thanks for all your help, glad I didn't have to rerun any of the wires as it all appeared to be in the connectors.