ashraf

GeoVision Linux Drivers

Did someone tell you Geo works on Linux?

Hi Rory,

Nope, but being the largest DVR brand in the world, and having their own inhouse software R&D, it is unthinkable for them not to be compatible with Linux.

It is not unthinkable. Porting applications like this to Linux isn't trival. There are alot of design issues beyond just code rewrites. If I don't open source the code, how do I deliver it? RPMs are great for some distros but won't work for others the same with Deb files. The only universal install is a source code compile but if I'm not putting my source code under a GPL/BSD/MPL/etc licence then I'm just giving other companies a free look.

And don't even start on the tech support issues that differant distros run into.

you're confusing the heck out of me there, bud!

I have a client who insists he don't want windows, upon the advice of his IT Consultant, thus he wants his DVR on Linux....He also insists on Geovision because his buddy at the golf course told him his Geovision DVR system is simply the best.

So how do I handle a client like this?? Anyone can help? I simply need Geovision on Linux...

My advice is point out that the two bits of advice are not compatable. Then I would recomend having the IT consultant select and build the DVR. (Okay, that last part is spiteful on my part but I hate people who belive that one tool is all you need in a tool kit. ) This removes your responcability for the DVR, and I think you may want that. I would just worry about the cameras.

Geo is not the best.

nah, they claim its the "better"

so who is the "bestest"

Was looking at Netvision and wouldnt mind giving them a try ...

what do you mean 'net vision'? Never heard of them, do you have a website?

I guarantee you that my DVR card is the best. The ILLUDER.com range. I've had Geo and Kodicom next to it and mine really kicked @55. Also it was reviews in 2 magazines which we came out trumps. hehe..

Just that many still like the GV..because they've built their name over the years. BUT I hear they're in trouble..anyone care to elaborate?

LoL. well Geo is a software company, the cards they use are actually some of the best on the market, made in South Korea. .. and the manufacturer is very strict on who they sell their cards to for OEM.

As for the software, its extremelely stable. In fact the only issues I have had were when i am messing with the Skin files, and I changed something I wasnt meant to, was a simple fix by changing the .ini text back to default. Ofcourse most users wont be making any changes to the skins anyway. Now that said, I cant speak for version 8.0, ive been using 7.04 from last summer.

Never heard of Illuder.com, what cards do they use? As they are not a manufacturer or software developer .. now if I go by their website, then im not impressed, as it is currently down for "construction". If you post a screenshot of the software we can identify the brand for you.

Also, Netvision has a post in the Product Annoucnement forum, they are another DVR Card manufacturer.

do you have netvision's website?

ILLUDER.com are releasing a new range of cards on the next Security Exhibition in South Africa. 21st June....visit the site then..