freeflyer

Please Help-best processor for Geo 1480 +poweredge server

Hi - Setting up a Geo 1480 server ina Dell Power edge server, need advice on the best Intel processor/s to choose from the list below that are currently available; We will be running 12 to 16 cameras at highest resolution & recording full time.

What will give me what we need from:

Single Xeon

Dual Xeon (at no extra cost!)

Pentium D (Dual Core) 820; 830; 840; 920; 930 or 950 (I don’t think these have hyperthreading)

Dell has an offer on next few days giving free upgrade on dual core Pentium D and Intel Xeons or a free additional Xeon on the Poweredge 1800; I’d rather have more power than I actually need for future expansion.

I have two days to decide, Thanx very much for any advice and such a great forum

Freeflyer

Due to the overwhelming response to this post, I have decided to build myself,

I wanted a prebuilt to allow me to have support for the box with same day response as a backup if the machine went down; for anyone interested here is the response I received from Geovision technical regarding my original post: (Note; I posted one technical question via their site and got 4 helpful responses within 2 days)

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your e-mail to GeoVision and please know your e-mail will be followed up by GeoVision Technical Support.

For your question concerning hardware specification; it is possible to use Intel Dual core process like Pentium D, but it is not possible to use Intel Xeon processor for they are server type motherboards.

For your request of information on best process and chipset to be used with our GV1480 card, please simply refer to the suggested PC specification list attached to this e-mail.

I have just built a new box with Asus P4C800 E Deluxe Mobo; P4 3.0G proc - 1 Gig Corsair Twin X pro; 2 X WD Raptor on Raid 0 (May change to Raid 1) + additional storage drives; SCSI card for Tape and exterior backup rack; 128 Mb Parhelia Graphics card;Globalwin Sapphire super silent PSU, under load testing now; always interested in comments...

I will be keeping an install / history log book of the entire set up & install from start to finish of the GV1480 & Extreme CCTV cams install - from a NEWB's pont of view, happy to post this for anyone interested when I have completed the job

Thanx to all at this forum for the help so far, like I read once from Rory, "geo's like crack once you get started" here goes...[/b]

Sounds Cool .. you might want to rethink the video card though, an ATI 256 would be a better choice for the Combo card .. i thinks ..

Freeflyer, let me know how you get on with that setup. If you need any advise, please PM or email me.

I agree with Rory, we use ATI X300 256MB with combo card systems.

James

thanks for the pointers Rory & James

Problem is though, The Asus board I am planning to use is AGP8 and not a PCI express, could you advise a suitable route to go here; is there an AGP type you'd recommend? or should I be using a more modern mobo / processor and Graphics card for the 1480 card?

Questions are; Is it the 2D or 3D performance that's important to the GV1480? is it the 128Mb of memory that you feel is lacking or something else? if it's only that I'd prefer a 256Mb Parhelia over anything else. The parhelia is wicked by the way and is currently working in surround mode (3 monitors) with Direct X 9.0; and offers DualHead up to 2048 x 1536 per display; Dual-DVI up to 1920 x 1200 per display; Advanced multi-display output modes: - Dual-display plus TV output - TripleHead Desktop Mode

In the Parhelia's defence; I love it; its multi award winning in the Pro world, has Dual 400 MHZ 10-bit RAMDACs; it's 512bit memory bus means it is capable of transferring data at a whopping 20Gbps, also haven't yet seen another GPU that can be as accurate in colour representation than the Parhelia as yet, i.e. 10bit gigacolour output, so it can display more than one billion colours with 10bit precision, seriously for those perfectionists out there with a need for high + accurate image & colour requirements you should check this out http://www.matrox.com/graphics/workstation/cre_pro/products/parhelia/128mb.cfm)

So to stop blathering...Sorry..will the parhelia spec work or not? Rather than me having to purchase and install a new Mobo & Gr Card too (that wont give me the accuracy of colour I currently have) for the Combo 1480 (I want max results and highest resolution possible) should I be be getting a new Mobo with PCI express? This would also mean new Processor too etc + additional cost, help!!!!!!

Freeflyer

I would avoid AGP on a new purchase and go with PCI Express.

If you have an existing AGP motherboard your going to use than an ATI 9800 PRO will work and others as well. Basically anything from them as powerful or more powerful than an ATI 9550 if I remember correctly.