Hi guys,

I recently bought a 4ch dvr card novex from ebay I think it is a novex card and that came with 4 ccd cameras which are 12v dc in and use bnc cables for video. These cameras hook up into the 4 channel dvr card and the software I got with this kit was pico2000 which i have read a lot of forum posts on.

I just wondered if anyone here has had the problems below or has got this kit/cameras. Firstly when it is normal daylight outside or it is quite bright the cameras go red, secondly aprrently this card is not a true 4 channel as in it cannot take 4 inputs at the same time so for using software like icatcher console you bascially can't. I had to use the custom drivers for using anything else apart from the ones that came on the disk.

I have also tried this in debian linux using motion and the actual output is grey and the picture is not visible at all. If the card was able to take 4 inputs at the same time 4 cams would of have been displayed on the page.

I just wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with what I mentioned above. I know this dvr card and software aren't excatly the best.

Dan

I got myself this card too

I installed this driver from http://btwincap.sourceforge.net/

select BT8XXX card with 4 composite input.

and use this software http://www.pysoft.com/ActiveWebCamMainpage.htm

it may not be fantastic but it works !! for 4 cams.

I have not tried on Linux but you may want to read this

http://www.zorg.org/homeauto/pico2000.shtml

good luck!!

Ben

Hi Guys,

I have actually tried that ben, but these cameras keep going red when its normal sunlight. I'm trying to work out whether this is because of the dvr card or the cameras. if anyone knows it would be appreciated.

Dan

First thing to do is take one of the cameras off the DVR and plug it into a CCTV Monitor or TV. Watch it on that in sunlight and see if it still goes red. If it doesnt, then its a DVR issue, if it does, then you know its a problem with the cameras.

What type of cameras are they?

IF you bought it 'new' I would get your money back, and ask the seller why they are selling pirated crap.

ALL Pico software sold on ebay (as new) is pirated and thats direct from the manufacturers site.

Pico software should not make anything go red, your cameras are either setup wrong or faulty, or the card is faulty.

4 Channel cards like this are usually just one channel multiplexed into 4, so if you want to record 4 channels divide the frame rate by 4 to get the real recording frame rate.

I would not recommend a pico card for any serious use, just for messing around with.

Didnt know they were pirating Pico too .. ill check their site out .. thanks ..

Having read all the horror stories about pirated Pico software, I went direct to the manufacturers site and followed thier link to their authorised distributor: center-link International (I'm not sure if you are allowed URL links on this board, so I have not written it as one). You can download a 30 day trial and get the genuine upgraded Pico2000 which runs on XP. You then pay $30 if you want the code to make it fully functional.

Well, I paid my $30 and 8 days and 10 emails later they have neither sent me the code OR even answered any of my emails asking where my code is!

This is really bad considering I went out of my way to find the genuine company to ensure I bought the genuine non-pirated and updated version.

It's no wonder folks end up using pirated stuff if you can't even get it when you pay for it! I'm $30 down and no software, and not even the decency to reply to me!

Cant speak for the Nova cards, but never had a single issue with the legit Geo cards .. Plus they dont cost as much as people think, their pricing is actually very good, especially when matching pricing with stand alone systems, and waying the quality, simple setup, and features included. They have budget versions which use the same Full Geo software, and can be price compared to the cheap cards like Nova, Digiflower, etc. But with much better software.

All resolved - I thought it only fair to post that I got a refund and the whole problem seems to have been an email server somewhere.

Have now re-purchased the saoftware and am quite happy with it.