a94cobra

Phone line based video setup?

I am using a couple Geovision systems, so I know all about those.

But I had this guy call and come by trying to sell me on his video setup. The system goes over the phone line, you can dial up anywhere and watch live video over the phone and a tv.

I couldn't ever get the guy to give me a brand for his equipment, and he was saying that this is way better than any DVR system on the planet. He was really pissing me off trying to sell this to me. They want $12k for 4-6 cams, vhs tape recording.

I want to find out what he is trying to sell me. Does this ring a bell to anyone here?

Yeah it reminds me of salesman BS!

Your system is by far a superior solution. This Salesman probably never even heard of Geovision or he wouldn't have even dared to make such a claim.

I wouldn't think another minute about it. You have a nice system that can grow with your needs.

I am not doubting my Geovision system, I gotten tons of comments on how great it is. Quality and such. And I put it together for a lot less than he wanted.

I was hoping someone here has seen the product that does what he is advertising, so I could see why on earth he would want $12k for it. He will be calling me back, I afraid, and I want to burst his bubble a little.

On another note, are the digital recordings off of all these fine DVR's court worthy? He claimed that they don't stand up in court yet. Tape based is the only way to go. I know Geovision has a digital watermark. Why bother with that if they don't allow them? This has not ever become and issue for me yet. I have given several DVD's of shoplifters to Police and they never said one way or the other.

Our company has had video from our products stand up in court but what determines it is the following three factors:

1. The local laws and bar association guidelines.

2. The judge.

3. How expensive is the defense lawyer.

If you feel like being evil, ask him to cite the case law forbiding the use of digital video.

There's a couple systems, but they are far from new, theyve been around for donkey years ... for 1 GE (Kalatel) has a system, the RSM units .. they have their place still .. but quality and speed wise .. cant touch ethernet ..

Theres another big player thats been around from lawd knows when .. cant remember the name off hand, but thats gotta be what he was talking about, that or the GE unit ...

Anyway, DVRs can do telco now also ..

yeah i forgot about that one .. thats a big player in that area .. probably the one right now .. a while back though there was another company .. some green software .. Remote Eyes or something like that .. dont even know if they are in biz .. the OzVision is probably the one they are pushing ..

Well... there was TeleSite way back when... http://www.google.com/search?q=telesite

but not much left there anymore (maybe some folks selling old stock)...

Yeah thats the one ..

where i got remote eyes from dunno ..

see its green ..

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/cctvproducts_1904_601023

ive used the Kalatel RSM unit in the past .. a few years back ..

Mind you the Kalatel DVR also did POTS back then also .. both were big sellers ..

Yup... used to sell that product when it was 8x8 before that was bought by Kalatel before Kalatel was bought by GE (and that was only a few years ago - of course that was four jobs ago for me... and the company I worked for has long since gone belly-up). Appears that only change is constant these days, huh?

Edited by Guest

Actually I think the 8x8 purchase was even a little before GBC purchase (and it appears that was in 2000 so maybe I'm not as old as I think - - or maybe older since I'm thinkin' 6 years ago was 3 years ago. Oh well).

yep apparently SLC Technologies owned Kalatel and some other products/companies that GE now owns .. so I guess GE bought SLC ..

Good info guys. They were trying to sell a 4 cam system, but had an option for 6 cams. So the telesite stuff looks like it.

OzVision probably .. they have those same options .. telesite seems to be discontinued ..

Ok, could be. Said he has been selling this stuff for 9 years now. And if DVR's were better why was he still in business. I almost laughed at him.

Like many things it has it's place. Especially alarm verification which has come to be of special interest in various markets where it's now required before the police come and visit. Oz, for example, has been growing it's business (around POTS) for years just fine (can't count how many "DVR companies" have come and gone in that period). As usual... it all comes down to the application! If your solution is a better fit and/or the cost is significantly more attractive I expect you'll get the order!

Unless, of course, they are already paying for service for whatever other reasons and won't incur any additional costs related to necessary bandwidth upgrades or dynamic to static changes or whatever. That's the beauty... if everything was always cut and dry who'd need us.

The guy bragged about no computer needed and no costly internet required. We already have internet at that location, using it to remote into the computers there and VOIP. So we didn't have a regular POTS line. He was pretty arrogant about his knowledge, my dad showed him the internet modem we have and they argued about it for five minutes. He said that was only a router and not the internet. Internet modems were different. Blah, Blah. I wish I could have been there for that argument.

Anyway I am rambling on. We chose a local internet gig and VOIP as a way to reduce the business phone expense. And going back to a POTS line would really defeat what we were doing at that location. And then when I finally got some info about the system from the guy, details like what exactly what I was getting for $12k. It is tape based, 31 tapes, one for each day. I am used to the ease of a DVR, no way will I ever go back to tape. I just couldn't believe the cost for some old, in my opinion, antiquated hardware. Maybe I'm wrong there. But just can't grasp why anyone would ever buy his crap at that cost, unless they just don't know.

Thanks for all the product references guy. He will be calling me back to try to sell me again. I now know what he is selling, I can ask more intelligent questions. He probably won't like me anymore, oh well.