Sign in to follow this  
573LTH

Trouble converting multiple cameras in a .ps format

Hi all,

I desperately require some technical assistance to convert several .ps (mpeg-ps) files into a more common format (to be read by VLC media player) where all 3x cameras are playing at the same time. I have no problems converting the files to another format, my problem is it only converts footage from one camera (camera 2)(I think this has been setup as a default? The other cameras are 1 and 6). There is no audio in the file.

The video files did come with a player called BackupPlayer (terrible software). It has no menu options and can only blow up the videos one at a time. My employer has asked if he can watch all 3 cameras at the same time in a 4x4 square through VLC. I can't offer BackupPlayer as a solution because it doesn't do this, I can only show camera 1-4, 5-8 etc... it won't show 1,2,6.

Something additional - when I load each file in BackupPlayer I notice that Camera 2 is the only camera that displays before playing the video. After pressing Play, cameras 1 and 6 start playing. I'm guessing this has something to do with my problem.

If this makes sense, can anybody give me some suggestions? Or advise if there are restrictions in place on CCTV files that restrict what I'm trying to do? I greatly appreciate any help I can get

I don't know if ffmpeg will support mpeg-ps format, but it may be able to transcode these in realtime. Take a look at this question, which seems to indicate there is at least some support for mpeg-ps built into ffmpeg: https://superuser.com/questions/1081498/

You might also be able to use Handbrake to convert the previously recorded files into MP4 or other format.

What version of buck up player are you using, reason I ask this is some will allow you to then export from the player as a avi.

The only other way you will be able to get this to work is to carve the data for each camera creating a .ps file for each then convert that.

It’s not a simple task and not something that should be attempted though with out the correct knowledge or experience.

I really don’t understand why people have the fascination with converting raw cctv to other formats. I have used hundreds if not thousands of proprietary cctv players and can honestly say that I have only had issues with one or two players not working how I would like it to.