FoxSTI

Two IP cameras on one CAT cable?

Hi there guys,

I have been doing some preliminary research on the question above and came across a tutorial that while not specific to POE IP cameras, it walked you through splitting a single CAT cable to support two devices on each end. Basically you would take 4 wires out of the 8 in a typical cable and crimp them with a connector.

considering ip cameras only run at 10/100 mbps according to the article it should be ok. (by the way how come they haven't gotten faster?

Has anyone done this with success? My understanding is that the data (video audio) transfer speed to eliminate lag or delays has very little to do with the cable or switches as it does with the cameras ability. In other words, cheap camera have tons of delay due to the cheap internals whereas better stuff does not. (do you guys agree with that?)

Thanks

Hi there guys,

I have been doing some preliminary research on the question above and came across a tutorial that while not specific to POE IP cameras, it walked you through splitting a single CAT cable to support two devices on each end. Basically you would take 4 wires out of the 8 in a typical cable and crimp them with a connector.

considering ip cameras only run at 10/100 mbps according to the article it should be ok. (by the way how come they haven't gotten faster?

Has anyone done this with success? My understanding is that the data (video audio) transfer speed to eliminate lag or delays has very little to do with the cable or switches as it does with the cameras ability. In other words, cheap camera have tons of delay due to the cheap internals whereas better stuff does not. (do you guys agree with that?)

Thanks

Hi. Would be best just using a switch

If you can run a cable for each camera it would be best. If you run cat 5E or six you would be able to support devices that use the 1000 mps. Cable is pretty cheap and if you can stay within the 100 m length POE should be no problem. A swithch works as well but I come from a cabling background and always try to eliminate as many electronics as possible.

Hi there guys,

I have been doing some preliminary research on the question above and came across a tutorial that while not specific to POE IP cameras, it walked you through splitting a single CAT cable to support two devices on each end.

Hi. Would be best just using a switch

Agreed.

To the OP: What's the point in trying to do this? Cat5e or Cat6 cable isn't all that expensive. But, if it's an existing cable and you either can't or don't want to run another, a small switch would be preferable.

Thanks guys. additional cable is sort of challenging to run to the location where there is already and existing cable. There also isn't AC power near by for a small switch. Thanks for the recommendations. I also thought a dedicated cable would be best.