Sign in to follow this  
panic916

Hacking Zosi DVR - goal: to access a standard vid stream

I have a Zosi ZR08ZM10 DVR that I got from Amazon cheap for black friday. I was hoping to replace my previous cheap Floureon DVR but I have an issue I'm trying to resolve. Both the Zosi and Floureon seem to be running that same software that it seems all cheap Chinese DVRs run, but the Zosi is much faster and less buggy (and clearly a newer version). The Zosi, however, will not provide any standard video streaming mechanisms (RTSP, MJPG/HTTP, etc) despite there being port settings in the configuration. Zosi support has confirmed that this model doesn't support that.

A port scan of the entire TCP range, returns ZERO open ports!

Yet they have a Windows app that does offer streaming video. But this won't work for me since I would like to use various clients directly, including GStreamer and VLC.

So my thoughts (hopes) are this:

• Possibly the unit has a firewall in place but the firmware actually does support RTSP / HTTP (like my Floureon one did)?
    • Perhaps I can gain root on the unit via a serial cable?

[*]The stream to my PC via their proprietary software is using UDP and may have some non-standard handshake, but I would be surprised if the final stream wasn't a standard one (not sure how I could tap into that)

I've downloaded their Windows app (called AVSS) Aand began dissecting it to see how the stream is established (via Windows Message Analyzer, Wireshark, disassembling / debugging it with x64dbg, and strings.exe). It seems to be using some "p2p" libraries to communicate via UDP. It's hitting several external servers, to do so. I have a feeling that once the connection has been established, it may be a standard stream and perhaps I could tap into it.

The libraries include these files:

• AVAPIs.dll
  • IOTCAPIs.dll
  • P2PTunnelAPIs.dll

IPs it's hitting include:

The mainboard seems to have this printed on it (which i haven't found any datasheet for): TP2833C_DHI3520DV300_081E

(tl;dr;) So my questions are:

• Does anyone have experience hacking and getting into one of these Zosi ZR08ZM10 units?
  • Has anyone played with this p2p API (the DLLs and whatnot)?
  • Does anyone know if this mainboard has a terminal which is accessible via serial connection?

Thanks! - photos below

@wymangr No I haven't.  I sorta gave up.  I'm in the process of moving into a new house, and I'm going to be setting this up again in the next week or two there.  As a result, I foresee a renewed interest in hacking this coming up on the horizon lol.