Sign in to follow this  
silentlooker

How to bring cable in to the house

Hello Everyone,

I have around 2800sqft 2 story house and plan on installing 8 cameras total around it. My main issue is I do not have access to the attic from outside. Attic access is in the master closet and do not extend to any external walls. The system i am looking at will be using POE.  What would be the best way to bring everything in to the house. I am kind of at lost on how to bring the cable in to the house?

Watching this topic with interest because I want to fit a camera to my (redundant) chimney top. (Great view up there).

Can you use PVC pipe to run the cables.?

Can you use PVC pipe to run the cables.?

I used pvc pipe underground, but it doesn't have sunlight/ uv resistance, you will need to paint it. Outdoor rated conduit would be better.

On 12/22/2018 at 1:18 AM, silentlooker said:

Hello Everyone,

I have around 2800sqft 2 story house and plan on installing 8 cameras total around it. My main issue is I do not have access to the attic from outside. Attic access is in the master closet and do not extend to any external walls. The system i am looking at will be using POE.  What would be the best way to bring everything in to the house. I am kind of at lost on how to bring the cable in to the house?

You're probably not getting an answer because, without knowing the exact construction of your home, there is no way to answer it.  Even then, there'd have to be someone around who actually knows the answer.

I'm afraid this task, running cables from outside-to-inside, is probably a job better-left to professionals.  If you do: Make certain they're established, insured, bonded and have a good reputation.  You don't want anybody who's going to screw up and force you to rip walls out to repair it on your dime.

There are few tasks I won't tackle.  I've even done my own natural gas work.  But routing cables through existing exterior walls might well be one of them.  I have done it on a limited basis, three times, but in each case is was a short, simple run and I was 99-44/100% certain I knew exactly what I was drilling into.

I might give it a go a 4th time.  I may want to put a 5GHz point-to-point wireless radio on the back of the house.  But I'll have direct access to the sill plate from the basement, it'll also be a very short run, and I won't have to do any blind drilling.  (I'm currently debating just how badly I want to do this little project.)