Sign in to follow this  
Reamil

Thoughts on installing intrusion alarm systems

We live in an area that has too many garage burglaries. Home invasions are common here, particularly between 3 am and 4 am. Our police department is strong and responds to calls. But, they don't have enough staffs to patrol our area. We have good communication with neighbours. We always report incidents after they happen and encourage neighbours to keep things locked up.

Can anyone suggest some effective and cost-effective ways to trap these burglars? Some of them suggested installing intrusion alarm systems. The burglars should feel that they might get caught in the act or afterwards. Are these systems effective in ensuring the security, even without having vigilantes patrol?

the last time a car alarm went off around you, did anyone scream "Oh my God, somebody call da COPS!"

I didn't think so. burglar alarms do not alarm burglars, but they excel at annoying neighbors.

To the typical "smash and grab" burglar an alarm system isn't much a deterrent.  They'll be in and out in five minutes.  Long before the local constabulary can arrive, unless they're right around the corner and get the call quickly.  What one may accomplish is to discourage more thorough burglars.  E.g.: Say you have valuables in a bolted-down safe or well-hidden.  An alarm system may deny more determined burglars the time needed to breech the safe or execute a more thorough search for valuables.

We have a wired system here.  To me it's primary benefits are it lets us know when a door or window is open, and it includes both smoke/fire and flood detection.  It will also let us know if our home has possibly been burgled when we were away.  (It's a monitored system, emails/messages events, and has an app.)

(Our alarm system will never annoy the neighbours, because the siren is inside.)