Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Craig

Swann 4k night vision EXTREMELY poor quality

Recommended Posts

I recently installed a SWDVK-855804 Swann 4k camera system. The cameras looks great during the day however after sunset everything goes to hell.

Has anyone experienced this before or have any recommendations?

I plan to return this product if I can't get this figured out.

Thanks! 

swann camera.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi. I saw this problem in November on a system   

Are your cameras that came with your system thermal comparable  ?

this is a feature that is not needed on a home system and Swann have just made it complicated....... cameras that stay colour at night is a much better feature and useful we’re thermal is useless even a black and white footage is better than thermal.

and the other stupid feature if your using it is the smart device intergration 

 

we’re are you located ?

with your recorder I would start with switching off thermal detection 

mans if your still not happy with the night quality then don’t waste time on a function that is not needed anyway and swap it out 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, tomcctv said:

Hi. I saw this problem in November on a system   

Are your cameras that came with your system thermal comparable  ?

this is a feature that is not needed on a home system and Swann have just made it complicated....... cameras that stay colour at night is a much better feature and useful we’re thermal is useless even a black and white footage is better than thermal.

and the other stupid feature if your using it is the smart device intergration 

 

we’re are you located ?

with your recorder I would start with switching off thermal detection 

mans if your still not happy with the night quality then don’t waste time on a function that is not needed anyway and swap it out 

The cameras are the ones that came with the system PRO-4KMSB

 

Im not using any smart device integration. Located in southern Virginia.

 

Not quite sure shuting off thermal detection is an option in the settings of the DVR.

 

I have 3 weeks to return for full refund but id like to at least try to figure this out.

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Southern I’m west

thermal detection if not on dvr is on cam

cam you change resolution on your recorder to 4mp and see what night time image is like

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr. Craig said:

I recently installed a SWDVK-855804 Swann 4k camera system. The cameras looks great during the day however after sunset everything goes to hell.

Has anyone experienced this before or have any recommendations?

I plan to return this product if I can't get this figured out.

Thanks! 

swann camera.jpg

Could be a powers issue does the power supply the DVR and all the cameras or is it powered seperately from the cameras and DVR 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, cctvman1379 said:

Could be a powers issue does the power supply the DVR and all the cameras or is it powered seperately from the cameras and DVR 

The camera are powered separately.

Here are the specs on this package:

 https://www.swann.com/us/swdvk-855804

 

and a picture.

 

SWDVK-855804.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, tomcctv said:

Southern I’m west

thermal detection if not on dvr is on cam

cam you change resolution on your recorder to 4mp and see what night time image is like

I'll try this after sunset today and see if anything changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the power supply is the same as the supply for the cameras from the splitter I'd guess not enough power current from the psu can you try a separate psu on just the one camera see if that's makes a difference at night 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cctvman1379 said:

Looks like the power supply is the same as the supply for the cameras from the splitter I'd guess not enough power current from the psu can you try a separate psu on just the one camera see if that's makes a difference at night 

Tried it, no change.

I called Swann tech support.. after getting to level 2 they seem to think there's something wrong with the cameras or the wires...

I switched back to my 1080 DVR and although the 4k cameras are wildly out of aspect ratio they they are very clear during night vision...

I'll be ripping the rest out this weekend and returning...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2019 at 7:06 AM, tomcctv said:

Hi did you also use lead kits .... they would of come with the system 

they never work there not 75ohm the power conductor is too small .... on this forum lead kits have always been a problem cheap wire not coax

This unit beets the Swann in everything and is cheaper 

https://www.lorextechnology.com/hd-dvr-security-system/4k-8mp-hd-camera-home-security-system/4KMPX44-1-p

Your suggestion is a DVR though... not an NVR.  Are the Swann NVRs that bad?  Is it possible the OP just got a bad unit? @Mr. Craig what did you end up doing?  I was considering this same system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, scratch said:

Your suggestion is a DVR though... not an NVR.  Are the Swann NVRs that bad?  Is it possible the OP just got a bad unit? @Mr. Craig what did you end up doing?  I was considering this same system.

The system I had SWDVK-855804 is a DVR System.

 

That being said I uninstalled the whole system.. and set it up on my desk and tried to recreate the problem unsuccessfully..

 

I'm not quite sure what was causing it.. perhaps the wires were routed across something inducing some sort of cross talk or noise transfer.

 

I returned the unit for a full refund and reinstalled my 1080 system.

Also, on a side note.. I was very annoyed with the "SwannView Plus" app and discovered that the hikvision app is compatible with my existing swann system and is MUCH smoother user experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr. Craig said:

The system I had SWDVK-855804 is a DVR System.

 

That being said I uninstalled the whole system.. and set it up on my desk and tried to recreate the problem unsuccessfully..

 

I'm not quite sure what was causing it.. perhaps the wires were routed across something inducing some sort of cross talk or noise transfer.

 

I returned the unit for a full refund and reinstalled my 1080 system.

Also, on a side note.. I was very annoyed with the "SwannView Plus" app and discovered that the hikvision app is compatible with my existing swann system and is MUCH smoother user experience.

My mistake, for some reason I thought you got the NVR system.  Looks like it wasn't a problem with Swann then...? How was their tech support to deal with?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two points:

Point one: You are destined to receive very much blurred video when transmitting UHD (8MP, 4K) Video Data on a coaxial cable by Analog Modulation Scheme.

Point two: UHD camera is made of CMOS type and electronic rolling sensor. The pixel sensor does not have time to gather enough lights in 33m Sec frame time, in a low lighted condition. Lots of electronic noises creeping into the Pixel Value.

You are always cheated by fiddlers if you get to believe that  Large sized videos is to be delivered  with always better quality. I do not recommend 3MP and above camera systems on a coaxial  cable.  2MP Full HD -30 FPS is OK with current technology, on a coaxial cable.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SunnyKim said:

You are always cheated by fiddlers if you get to believe that  Large sized videos is to be delivered  with always better quality. I do not recommend 3MP and above camera systems on a coaxial  cable.  2MP Full HD -30 FPS is OK with current technology, on a coaxial cable.

Is it best we all go back to black and white VCR systems. Technology changes 

does this also apply to IP systems sunnykim

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, scratch said:

My mistake, for some reason I thought you got the NVR system.  Looks like it wasn't a problem with Swann then...? How was their tech support to deal with?

Swann tech support was alright, I guess..

I have years of formal training with electrical and electronics repair with 12 years experience doing such.

That being said I found the tech support to be very friendly, wait times were less than 30min. Level 2 tech support returned my call 24hours later.

They asked alot of very basic questions that I felt may had been a fishing expedition that they were going to blame all my problems on if they got a bite on something. And use said answers to deny any warranty claims.

All and all in the end they basically told me I would need to troubleshoot what was causing the problem for the sole purpose that they would know what was causing the problem so they could document it. I chose to return the whole system.

Really, the only reason I even called tech support was because years ago when I was installing my 1080 system I was having a problem with streaming to the app and after about an hour with tech support having me revert to default settings then verify they actually went to default they randomly had me change a numerical value of a setting which made everything start working, the setting change made no sense and was a bit agitated we didn't start off with changing the settings but they got it working so I was happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×