Alex Menges

Can NVR be connected to switch?

Hello all. My name is Alex. I had a few quick questions about networking two buildings as it relates to security cameras. I've been tasked with the networking and all IT/computer/security related details of our additional fire station with our current station. The new station sits close to 100 feet away from our current one. We've ran PVC pipe between the buildings to run cables, shielded CAT6. The current station will host the modem, a wireless router and a switch (Linksys LGS124P POE). From that switch, the CAT6 will run through the PVC to the second switch in the new building. This new building will have (2) UniFi AC PRO WAP's. 

Here's where I get a little lost. The new station will also have a NVR Surveillance System with IP Cameras. After reading through the user manual of the NVR, it says in order for remote viewing, the NVR must be directly connected to a router. I guess my question is, Do I have to run another CAT6 cable from the router in the current station to the NVR in the new station, or can you just add a router to the switch in the new station? I'm very unfamiliar with networking multiple routers and switches. I've attached a very basic diagram of what I'm trying to talk about! lol

post-1121535-0-01198700-1555718691.jpg

If possible you should run another cable, this will give you the best connection to the "outside" (remote access). However I have used a DVR connected to a switch then the switch connects to the modem and it was fine, you do have to make sure the proper ports are forwarded on each device, if managed switches. 

11 hours ago, allisonr1495 said:

If possible you should run another cable, this will give you the best connection to the "outside" (remote access). However I have used a DVR connected to a switch then the switch connects to the modem and it was fine, you do have to make sure the proper ports are forwarded on each device, if managed switches. 

Nonsense. The original diagram is just fine. There will be no difference. This is basic networking. 

• Like 1