Sign in to follow this  
jrmull

PoE cameras power issues with Swann. Is there better?

USA country here.  I have a 5 year old Swann PoE 8 camera system SRNVR-87400H system that regularly has power transformer issues.  It is a 48vt 2A and I have gone thru two transformers and one Swann box.  They overheat, burn up smell, etc.  It is possible or likely that my Lan wires outside are not protected from weather enough, but not aways the case.  Mice and squirrel like to eat the wires too.   Must not be very good protection on the main box to prevent damage.  Other observation is that 48vt transformers with 2amp is not strong enough to operate 8 cameras.  Are you guys finding the same results?

I like the concept of power over the Ethernet wire to the cameras that avoids me using transformers on each camera and the 110vt outlet required.  Easier to move the cameras around.  

So my main question, Is the Swann product the issue?  Should I try Samsung or another PoE company?   Which ones?   Thanks for the reply

Obviously, if nature and the wildlife are destroying your cables, nothing you do with your NVR, PSU or cameras is going to do much good.  So the first order of business would be to protect those cables that need protecting.  UV-resistant PVC tubing should do, I would expect.

As for the 48V PSU: I can't imagine somebody doesn't make one that's capable of supplying more than 2A.  The question then would become is the NVR capable of handling it?  I've no way to know.

Personally, I am not a fan of single-vendor solutions--for anything.  That includes surveillance systems.  Sure: I'm probably giving up some bells and whistles by mixing-and-matching, but I've got the basic functionality I need and that allows me to select the best hardware that suits my needs, as determined by me, rather than what a particular vendor or manufacturer decides is best.

An example directly applicable to your issue: If the NetGear PoE switch I've chosen proves inadequate, I can replace it either with a bigger NetGear PoE switch, or one from another manufacturer, w/o any impact on anything else in the system.

Agreed, I need to protect the Cat6 wires more.  Even indoor the Swann cameras after 5 years of use, seem to burn up the transformer and Swann DVR box.  Hard drive has not ever failed nor have the cameras being outdoors.  

I would prefer to upgrade to another 8 camera PoE type systems more current technology or company providing best class for homeowner.    Any suggestions on a camera system between $500 and $1500 range for home use?  My alternative is to buy one and try it out for several months/years, then move to another.  At the moment I do not recommend the Swann version SRNVR-87400H I have.  Replacement refurbished box was $250 now running.

Seen with a quick search:

8 camera model Model: CSP-8POEED3  $1500

https://www.cctvsecuritypros.com/complete-systems/spy-dome-8-camera-indoor-outdoor-ip-3-megapixel-dome-camera-system/

Lorex  8 camera $550

https://www.lorextechnology.com/hd-ip-security-camera-system/8-channel-hd-security-camera-system-with-ip-cameras/HDIP88DW-1-p?gclid=Cj0KCQjwuLPnBRDjARIsACDzGL0oc4X4LiXmAS5aFUlPfgq_SjppjP6Jv7xRm1KNQ99PZAj43gwOanoaAvRCEALw_wcB

ReOlink   https://reolink.com/product/rlk16-410b8/

Samsung  https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Channel-CCTV-Cameras-Warranty/dp/B01N7X5CXV

Thanks for your ideas.  Regards John

Hi. John 

good to see you are doing homework. 

Out of your 4 links only one is value for money. .... 2 of them would be just wasting money 

your first link ..... cameras don’t match the nvr ....... no point them selling 3mp cameras with a 4K nvr ..... pointless. 

The reo ..... you can only use there cameras on there system ..... which is useless if you want to upgrade there system

the Samsung is old stock and are dome cameras and only 2mp ..... no one uses dome cameras because of bad images with sun and IR reflection on dome ...... also bad remote apps

your best link is the Lorex.  ....... your first link and the lorex link are infact the same operating system ....... both are dahua  .... both are the same specs both use the same apps yet the lorex is $1000 cheaper. 

Mans it has better cameras and offers full cloud which you don’t get in your first link. 

The reason why it’s better and cheaper is lorex is 100% owned by dahua and it will also take 8mp cameras so no need to upgrade for a few years. 

• Like 1

Thank you for the discussion on Reo.  I have a similar problem with Swann, that being only Swann runs on their system.  I would like to upgrade since that this unit is getting unreliable (two dvd boxes in 4 years, two transformers 48vt, transformer runs hot).

My idea system is about 8 cameras.  A combination of wired PoE and some PTZ  and some wireless cameras.  I want the recordings to be local on a dedicated hard drive like the Swann NDVR is doing.  Remote connections through my cell phone is important.  Swann doesn't give me a PTZ or wireless camera setups that I know of.

Anything out there I can look at?

My uses are fixed cameras (front door, back door, Left & right side gates, basement utility room).   The wireless are for outdoor locations that move around with the nature scenes.  Rabbit nest, Coyote trail, duck hatchings and such I drape a temporary LAN wire out to the location.  Some were tried at 400 ft and lose video but most are within 200 ft.  I have no need for 4K video quality.  720 or 1080p is good enough for my home use.

How does it work to mix a wireless camera into a PoE system?  Is there some type of switch that uses one of the 8 camera LAN ports?  The only wireless cameras I have seen, just display live action and no way to record it on the Swann DVDR.  

Lorex for $699

1080p 16 Channel HD Security Camera System with 16 1080p Outdoor Cameras, 130ft Night Vision, 3TB Hard Drive

LX1080-166BW  

Thanks for the tips.  Regards John