snakes

Thoughts about this camera

Hello new to the forum and home security....that's why I'm here to get knowledge and help from people with the most experience.

What do you think of this camera?

[edit by mod - wholesale link removed]

1. Four Cameras

2. Cameras will be mounted outside of my house

3. Two will be for the rear of the house

4. One be for the front and one will be for the side

Thanks...always like to know what the application is before making comments.

Note to self....

- power to cameras is 12 vdc 1 amp per camera....need large power supply.

- lens supplied is a 6.0 mm focal length....they do have a 4.3 mm which although not wide would be a better choice for the front of your house.

- camera rated down to -10 degrees C....is this ok for your area?

Do you have any existing lighting around your property?

The power supply I was going to use is a 12v/ 8a

I live right outside of Chicago so I think if I converted right that -10C = +14 F. Not sure if I would have problems with the weather, your thoughts.

My number one concern is the rear of my house where I will have to cameras. I have one motion light attached to my house already but where I would like to see the most with the cameras will be about 50-60 feet away from my house and the light. Will the light cause problems if the camera is mounted near it, say 10-15 feet away?

It seems I cannot post a link to the camera I was looking to get feedback on. I guess you cannot post links unless it is a sponser of this site but how can I get feedback on it if no one can see what I'm thinking of purchasing?

If you can post a link to the manufactures website that is usually best. Or find a site that carrys that same camera, but at a more expensive (retail) price as wholesale pricing being posted hurts those trying to earn a living at selling camera's and/or service.

Many people seeing these wholesale prices think that they are being ripped off when someone in the business quotes them a higher price. Everybody has to make a living and if you didn't have some type of markup on the product your selling, what is the sense of being in business.

Many of these companies that sell things cheaply offer little or no support as they are dealing in selling volume. Anyway, this has been stated before and probably better than I just did, but that is main reason.

Here are specs on the cameras I was looking into:

This is the biggest Day/Night Vision Color Camera can incredibility see up to 150 feet in total darkness. It has a array of 84 pieces high power long life special wavelength Infrared LED. It also meet the tough IP-66 water and dust proof standard for outdoor and indoor environment.

Top of the line 1/3" SONY SuperHAD CCD sensor and Digital Signal Processor (DSP) IC for image control.

Internal Cooling Fan Automatically turns on and keep High Power Infrared Array in cool operating temperature.

It provides excellent day time color image and razor sharp black/white night vision in total darkness. Built-in environment illumination detection and control circuit that can turn-on/off the infrared illuminant automatically.

Note: To get the most Infrared night vision power out of this camera, please install this camera with one of our DC power supply: P1000MA12 Power Supply, 9CH Power Distribution Box and 18CH Power Distribution Box

Indoor/Outdoor

Water and Dust proof IP-66 standard

Night Vision with Infrared Illumination

Plug n' Play

Image Quality: 5-Stars

Ease of Installation: 5-Stars

Warranty: 1 Year

FEATURES:

Base on the 1/3" SONY Super HAD CCD sensor.

Employs Digital Signal Processor (DSP) IC for image control.

Total pixels of sensor: NTSC=270K / PAL=320K pixels.

High sensitivity, low smear, excellent anti-blooming, and high S/N ratio.

Supports functions: Auto Electronic Shutter (AES), Auto Gain Control (AGC), Auto White Balance (AWB).

Economical solution, Includes Board Lens and furnished with mounting bracket.

DC type power request, low power consumption.

Built-in an infrared illuminant to assist for cameras in low illumination environment.

Plug & Play. Installs easily and is suitable DIY (Do It by Yourself).

Long life luminary with using special wavelength Infrared LED.

Single power and signal connecting cable.

Built-in environment illumination detection and control circuit that can turn-on/off the infrared illuminant automatically.

Waterproofing criterion: IP-66.

Product dimension: 4.12(W)x5.94(H) Inches

SPECIFICATIONS:

Camera Module

UC9880

Image Pick-up Device SONY 1/3"Super HAD CCD sensor

Effective Picture Elements NTSC: 510x492, PAL: 500x582 (HxV)

Minimum Illumination 0.2 LUX @ F2.0 and 0 LUX with IR

S/N Ratio More than 48 dB

Auto Electronic Shutter NTSC: 1/60s~1/100,000s, PAL: 1/50s~1/110,000s.

Auto Gain Control YES.

Auto White Balance Color Temperature: 2500K~9500K.

Scanning System Interlace 2:1

Gamma Characteristic 0.45

Lens Furnished Board Lens f6.0 mm / F2.0 (Optional: 4.3 / 6.0 / 8.0 / 12 mm)

Synchronous System Internal, Negative sync.

Video Output 1 Vp-p / 75 Ohms.

Power consumption 12V DC +/- 1.5 Watt.

IR Illuminator Module

Infrared Luminary 84 pieces IR LED

Wavelength 850 nm.

Illuminate Distance 150 feet

Power consumption 12V DC +/- ( IR-LED full ON )

System Device

Power Supply 12V DC +/- 1000MA minimum. ( total Power consumption for CCD Camera & IR-LED full ON )

Operating Temp. -10°C to 50°C (14°F to 122°F)

Waterproofing criterion IP-66

1/3" Sony SuperHAD Color CCD DSP 150 feet Long Range Infrared Night Vision Weatherproof Camera

Quantity in Basket: None

Code: UC9880

Price: $199.00

[/url]

9808.jpg.541eff4cb8ede5f55b21354c80417957.jpg

Ok so break down on the camera ...

First its not a top of the line Sony Super HAD chip, its one of the cheapest versions of the Sony Super HAD chip ... they make various versions whcih cost different prices, the more you pay, the better the chip. Also note that it is not a SONY camera .. its OEM.

Next, its low resolution ... so the image cant be that great, at least not for high quality recording.

Anyway, the rest Ill leave, as the price denotes the quality, its a cheap Color IR camera, not a Day Night camera .. and the 150' Infrared is a real stretch, but remember its all a sales pitch anyway.

You may get some IR light out to 60-90' depending on the location and the position of the camera, plus if using the narrow lens it comes with, but other than that .. there are no images to back that up .. alot of retail stores rarely test the cameras they sell. If they did then they'd have some images to prove it.

Lastly .. no IR Cut Filter means washed out colors in the day, and id bet that whatever Infrared you get at night will not be that powerful and the quality of the fixed lens along with the camera quality .. will no doubt render a pretty useless image at any kind of distance - especially the distance they claim.

Anyway, there are definately better OEM cameras at that price range .. maybe 40' of IR but a much better image in the night and the day, and an Auto Iris VF Lens, with an IR Cut Filter for true colors. . They cost a little bit more than this type but a much better camera. It will be the same Day Night IR Bullet with a 4-8mm Varifocal Auto Iris lens with 480TVL and an IR Cut Filter (mechanical) that you will find on most OEM online Retailers. ..

PS. I recently (yet again) tested a Camera that looked like this one you specked (different housing but same IRs and Fixed Lens, and specs) and they claimed all kinds of things .. the dealer was singing praises that he saw it at the show and it looked great ... well after testing it here, it very promptly located the nearest garbage can ..

The power supply I was going to use is a 12v/ 8a

I live right outside of Chicago so I think if I converted right that -10C = +14 F. Not sure if I would have problems with the weather, your thoughts.

You might be ok, here in Toronto you'd need -20C.

My number one concern is the rear of my house where I will have to cameras. I have one motion light attached to my house already but where I would like to see the most with the cameras will be about 50-60 feet away from my house and the light. Will the light cause problems if the camera is mounted near it, say 10-15 feet away?

You may see some blooming/reflection of the light on the front of your camera...you may have to reorient your camera to get the best picture.

As the boys have already stated, the web link does not indicate who the camera manufacturer is, so you may be hard pressed for service in the future, I do think the price is very low for this type of product.....I'd keep looking for other dealers with similiar products, preferably ones in the Chicago area.

This is the biggest Day/Night Vision Color Camera can incredibility see up to 150 feet in total darkness. It has a array of 84 pieces high power long life special wavelength Infrared LED. It also meet the tough IP-66 water and dust proof standard for outdoor and indoor environment.

I suggest you use 220V AC power.