jeffpa

Poor motion detection

First we tried the neverfocus (POS!),

and even the highest end Samsung (Techwin) DVR

and both suffer from poor motion detection.It plain

doesnt work until the object is darned near in front of the camera.

It appears most of it has to do with object size

versus field of view.

On cameras with a narrow field of view, motion detection

of larger objects isnt bad.

On cameras covering a wide area, motion detection was almost useless.

We would using external IR motion sensors to cover motion

detection farther away from the cameras (appx 100ft).

These two camera's with remote IR motion, are covering very

wide areas of my residence.

Is it just a limitation of the software?

Its just odd that both units suffered almost the same

lack of detection. The samsung just barely better

and at 4x the price.

Am I just expecting too much?

so are you using the software driven motion activated recording or actual hardwired motion detectors to kick the recording on?

I've used bottom of the barrel dvrs with motion activated recording that worked great, never had a problem with them.

I'm using not only the motion detection from the DVR, but external

IR motion detection.

The motion detection on the DVR was so poor on the wide angle

coverage cameras, I needed to add external sensors

(IR motion) in order to have any real motion detected coverage.

Without the IR, someone had to be practically on top of the camera.

(within 20ft) before motion detection occurred.

What is the camera viewing? What type of motion are you trying to pick up? Anytime I use a wide angle camera, I have to mask off 75% of the area just to be sure I'm not picking up video that I don't need.

Can you post any pictures? What kind of camera are you using? Do you have model numbers of the Samsung?

Camera, Samsung SDC415 w/tamaron lense, dont know the

lense size.

DVR is the samsung SVR-1650.

Trying to catch cars going by.

FOV of the camera at 100ft is about 300ft maybe, or just under.

I have a camera perpendicular to my long driveway (600ft),

with this one camera covering maybe 250ft of of it.

Need motion sense to catch cars going by (so horizontal movement).

Its not a problem of too much movement, its not catching the cars going by at all without the external IR motion sense.

Can you set up the activated zones in those DVRs (cant remember with the everfocus or not). I wouldnt call Samsung the highest end, thats a mid range DVR. High end Stand alones are like GE, Panasonic, etc.

Even on the cheap budget ones though i was able to get good motion detection, well too much actually.

But i wouldnt expect it to pick up a small object like a human at 100' with a wide angle FOV. How motion detection works is they have to cross more than one motion block for it to pick them up normally, in the case of IR motion sensors I think it is 2 IR beams must be crossed, which is why we dont normally point a motion detector straight at an entrance, as then they can sometimes walk right up to the motion without it picking them up on some motions .. so i imagine with the DVR motion it depends on the size of the blocks, what height the camera is at and probably something else im forgetting ..

Does the DVR you have, also have sensetivity settings for the motion?

How close are the cars to the FOV?

Even on the cheap budget ones though i was able to get good motion detection, well too much actually.
Same Here!

Here is the manual for that model, page 68 talks about Motion Detection.

http://www.samsungcctv.com/product/file_data/manual/20060816_0_SVR-1650_1640Manual_Eng_0807_01.pdf

It does have sensitivity adjustments, and looks as if you can adjust each square's sensitivity using the mouse.

Can you set up the activated zones in those DVRs (cant remember with the everfocus or not). I wouldnt call Samsung the highest end, thats a mid range DVR. High end Stand alones are like GE, Panasonic, etc.

But i wouldnt expect it to pick up a small object like a human at 100' with a wide angle FOV. How motion detection works is they have to cross more than one motion block for it to pick them up normally, in the case of IR motion sensors I think it is 2 IR beams must be crossed, which is why we dont normally point a motion detector straight at an entrance, as then they can sometimes walk right up to the motion without it picking them up on some motions .. so i imagine with the DVR motion it depends on the size of the blocks, what height the camera is at and probably something else im forgetting ..

Does the DVR you have, also have sensetivity settings for the motion?

How close are the cars to the FOV?

I'm running sensitivity at the max.

Cars are about 80-100 ft from the camera,traveling horizontal

to the camera view.

But yes, the motion detection is highly dependant on

object size, which is why nothing is picked up unless

they are right on top of the camera (within 20 ft).

Both the everfocus and samsung exhibited the same lack

of detection.

Its just frustrating to have to use external motion

detection on a 4k$ dvr.

Even the other camera, with at 100ft of about the 100ft,

cant pick up a car coming directly at it, until the car is within

about 30ft.

One thing is what frame rate are you using and how fast are the cars moving. That is going to be a hard thing to do cars moving at 35 miles per hour are moving several feet per second and to see a good shot of the car you are going to have to run max frames per second. This I have learned from playing with our dvr's in the office to learn new tricks. I have setup a camera with 100 foot field of view cars moving at 35 mph dvr at 30 fps i get 3 to 4 frames at best.

cars are traveling at 15-20mph.

I'm running at (from what I can tell) 30ips.

Damned Samsung only gives numbers from 1-15 for frame rate, and I still cant get them to tell me what they equate to yet.

Use freeze frame/pause and single step frame by frame until the clock changes to a new second, then continue single stepping till the next second and count how many times you do this for one seconds worth of video, that will tell you how many fps its recording.

What are you trying to obtain by capturing cars going by, just a count or something? If the cars are 100 foot away on a wide angle lens, even if motion detection worked you probably would not get any real detail to identifty the cars. Moving to a higher zoom with a narrower field of view would give you more detail and solve motion detection problems.

hi

i have good detection motion of cars from ~110ft distance on geovision gv800 sensitivity set to 9 , lens 3.5-10mm set ~5mm and have to mask 65% of image and other camera at ~80ft from street on ~150 deg wide lens 1.6mm on 1/3" cmos camera

so i think that your setup is not sensitive for small pixel

detection as pci computer boards like geovision

at the moment i am looking for object tracking detection system , as general motion is to sensitive for lightning , shadows , rain , etc all i need is person and cars detection and not waste of hard drive space

so test some low cost computer pci board like model geovision 250 and see that motion detection is exelent

if you set it to 10 max detection range

dusan