Arockerdude

Sony SSCDC374 Camera. Any good ?

The sony line is very nice in general. If you have the extra cash I would buy the SSCE473. Great day/night cam.

Cant go wrong with Sony, and yes a huge improvement over Q-see DIY cameras .. BUT .. thats a color camera with lux levels only recommended for alot of lighting ...

Since you're in that price range you might want to check out the GE KTC-840 Exview Low Light Color Camera, or their KTC-2000DN Day Night Exview Camera ... or even the Sanyo Day Night which would be a little less expensive and still a decent Day Night camera .. and then there is the Panasonic Day Night camera with Wide Dynamic for intense background lighting situations ...

All the Day Nights I mentioned are True Day Nights which switch to a higher resolution lower lux BW mode using a mechanical Filter with IR Response ..

Rory

Certainly not a low light camera but does perform pretty good in normal lighting conditions.

I've found that they do not perform well when used in conjunction with a motorized zoom lens. Auto Iris controls do not work in that case.

I've had some in outdoor housings and in place for over a year with no problems to report. The image quality is good and no moisture problems.

I think you would need a dc to video lens converter in between the sony and the motorised lens, as the sony is a dc drive for the lens, and most motorised zooms are video drive.

You can get little converters that convert the signal so it will operate the lens, search for dc to video lens converter on google or your favourite search engine.

Ah, I left a few details out.

The I used this sony cam to replace out a very old Panasonic B/W that had been in a Pelco Intercept dome. The Dome provides a Hirschman connector for the lens for much of the connection. I believe the 12Vdc on the cam is only used to power the iris...

It is the Iris control that was lost. The picture was however greatly improved.