bigblueny

Wireless/solar camera system

I am looking to put up at least a dozen wireless cameras on light poles in a parking lot. I have line of sight to the building, max distance of 200' to Rx. From the Rx to my fibre is about 250-350', so I need something that is going to be strong enough to transfer video all the way and a good solar panel for the Rx/cam power. I am hoping to use IR cameras. So all that said does anyone know of a good place to get a reliable unit for a good price?

That all depends on what you call a "good price". If you want to use solar and wireless and want it to be dependable, there are few shortcuts you can take. Not only that, but if you are talking about powering IR from solar, you are going to run into an issue. To run even a fixed IR camera will make your solar system $2k+ (depending on your location in the world and the power draw of your camera/wireless equipment). Tack on the cost of the camera and a reliable 802.11x setup and you're looking at a good chunk of change.

My advice would be to call a reputable solar company and give them your location and all of your power draws, then have them do the calcs for you. Remember- they'll be spec'ing a system that can last through December and January- the worst solar months of the year.

Why not just tap the power on the light poles?

Why not just tap the power on the light poles?

Thats a fact jack!

Solar is going to seriously cost you for 12+ independent systems that can run any kind of IR for 10 hours a day while capturing and broadcasting. I think WirelessEye was a little low at $2k / cam solor (he probably gets better prices though too so..).

I have a wireless & solar I am building. 10X mini PTZ (SuperHAD low light), wireless video (5.8Ghz), wireless PTZ control (900Mhz), wireless relay of Motion & alarm switches to control Preset of PTZ (400Mhz), 130watt Koycera, MorningStar Charge Controller, Group 31 Marine Battery & Battery Box.

Concept is simple; Integrate Video Insight Server software with wirless video system. I took the basic stationary camera concept and pushed it beyond with the PTZ addition. The wireless relay control uses a wireless 900Mhz radio system, either motion detectors or alarm switching can pass the "alarm" to the Server via 900Mhz and the Video Insight software (Tasks in the new 3.0 release) monitors the "alarm" via the I/O card. ie. install the wireless PTZ camera on a outlying building (building has little or no wiring infrastructure) and then install the relay radio with a magnetic alarm switch on a gate, door, window, ect. Relay radio can handle multiple hard wired connections which can be relayed wireless back to the Server. Server in turn responds to preset positions to video the action. Multiple relay radio's can be installed anywhere.

In your application you could possible eliminate several wireless positions by installing PTZ wireless and using relays in monitoring movement for the Server to record.

Nice things; Video has approx. 7 miles line of sight. PTZ control is beyond 30 miles. Relay is currently limited to 3000ft. but can be increased via high gain antenna's.

Solar: Cost per solar set up was at approx. $1200.00 (panel, charge controller, battery, battery box, pannel pole mount) I plan on welding up my own Battery Box pole mount as the prices for one was crazy.......

Radio's; 5.8Ghz Video......I can't tell ya how much but I can pass my source. 900Mhz PTZ control approx. $400.00. 400Mhz Relay approx. $250.00.

I am currently working on installing the radio's into the weather proof enclosures. All radio's solar, and PTZ video functionality is completed and proven solid. I just have to put it together now.

My requirement for this system comes directly from what you are trying to do. I need to cover large area's that have no wiring available. Wireless saves a ton on cabling expenses and even worse, getting permits to dig takes forever in some area's.

I can help you want.................

My next "project" is to push a network bridge to this same sloar powered pole so that I can utilize IP camera's and Video Insight's IP Server software. I already know what radio I'll use for that application.

Whew....hope this all makes sense.

You need help fabricating that Battery Box Pole Mount, let me know. Just need dimensions and some sort of design idea(s) on how you want it to mount to pole. I work with Stainles Steel quite often, not too much Aluminum, though. Will trade for help in getting my Video Server up and running when it comes in!

$2k is a little low, but the pricing on Solar varies so much based on when you are putting up the systems. Our typical installation area is the Central Valley, California, and fog is horrible here during the winter, so we pay more, but a system for Los Angeles would be be pretty close to the $2k mark. It really depends on your power draw.

BTW- MorningStar is OK, but there are MUCH better controllers out there that make MUCH more power.