Have just registered here as i need some good advice on legality before i install my camera system. I have no garage as i live in a terraced house. I can not park directly outside as there is a yellow line. But accross the road is fine. I want to put a camera from my house looking down my street so i can see & record any damage done to my vehicle. But i need to determine if this is actually legal. Some neighbours say that i can not do this as the camera has to be pointing down onto my own property.

Am so confused. Can anyone help?

Paul

Hi it depends were you are 

but yes you can use your own camera into public space……. Looking into private space is we’re the problem starts

how far is your car from your house and will you be using a recorder ……… you will need a lot of storage as moving cars going past will eat into it

what is your budget

Thanks, Tom, for your reply. There are parking restrictions at my side of the street. But opposite, in front of the row of terraces parking is allowed. Not a busy street, just a typical side street in any town.

So, yesterday morning i thought i'd go knock on a few doors opposite, 7 in all. Everyone was against me installing a camara. Mostly on invasion of their privacy concerns. One quoting Data Protection. They were arguing that my camera would look directly into their lounges.  2 said they didn't want a camera seeing when they left their home, so the property was unnocupied.

Right now, i wish to Hell i'd never thought of all this. I got the impression from a good few of the neighbours that they looked upon me as a 'peeping Tom'. So, my good intentions have backfired on me.

Tom, you may well be correct & i am within my rights to point a camera down the street at my car. But neighbours may take a differant view.

Regards

Paul

Hi.  People have no clue on data protection and how it works

but I can guarantee you have cameras in your street already

but what is your budget

Thanks for your replies Tom, but after talking it through with my wife i have decided not to proceed. In a way i can understand peoples concerns with regard to their privacy, i wouldn't like it either. I just didn't think it through. Massive lesson for me. Thank God i didn't put the camera up without saying. This is a nice street & we have lovely neighbours.

Walking our dog early on this morning i can not see a single camera pointing over the street into other peoples homes. Only if i turn into the High street & then there are the Town council cameras everywhere.

Hope others who might read this thread can take something from my experience

Good luck all & thanks again Tom

Paul

Hi. Yes it’s not nice to upset neighbours….. but there are other ways around protecting your car. 
I’m uk based and involved with dpa on a weekly  basis 

but anyway instead of a public camera on your house I have been fitting car cameras by BlackVue for 10 years …. These monitor your car with back and front cameras …. When driving there dash cams but parked up it becomes a monitoring system only recording what it needs too

you setup the perimeter around your car…. This then stores anyone around your car you also setup shock sensor this will record anyone who touches your car or bumps it …… and all these warnings are sent to your mobile devices with video. 

two years ago a customer had one fitted and shortly after that his car went into fords for a service …… invoice cost £630 …… but not known to fords customer was watching his BlackVue and his car was only on the ramp for 27 minutes then they washed the car and parked it up for customer collection later that day questioning invoice with the embarrassment of the manager for charging 2 hrs 40 minutes service time was only 27 minutes…… gave the customer 2 years free servicing as a apology 

so not fitting camera directly to your house is a good choice with not having your neighbours being happy 

a BlackVue is always connected to your own home network outside your house so no extra costs …… you can also watch you camera live from home 

next best thing for your car security

https://blackvueuk.co.uk/

Tom, that's absolutly brilliant. Not the dodgy garage story, that's dreadfull, but the BlackVue info. Thankyou so much.

I can now go back to my disgruntled neighbours with this too. May be the key i need to dig myself out of my hole.

Don't want to not get invited to the upcoming summer barbeque, wife & kids wouldn't forgive me.

You may well have saved my bacon!

All the best

Paul

35 minutes ago, Kipper99 said:

Tom, that's absolutly brilliant. Not the dodgy garage story, that's dreadfull, but the BlackVue info. Thankyou so much.

I can now go back to my disgruntled neighbours with this too. May be the key i need to dig myself out of my hole.

Don't want to not get invited to the upcoming summer barbeque, wife & kids wouldn't forgive me.

You may well have saved my bacon!

All the best

Paul

Hi Paul. 

also remember to let your neighbours know it also benefits them 

my own BlackVue caught a Morrisons food delivery van turn into the street hit a parked car ripped it’s bumper off and damaged wing and door……then drove off still with his mobile phone to his face…… with no one seeing it happen the police could not help ….. I was told about it next day and gave him the footage …. Now not at his expense to repair….. it was the BlackVue footage that gave the driver the extra charge of driving with mobile phone. 

yes the camera is at your cost but the feeling is good when helping others

https://blackvue.co.uk/what-is-parking-mode/

anything with park mode on will fit your needs

also you don’t need it fitting ….. it can be fitted by anyone in 20 mins as it comes with fitting tools

On 6/19/2022 at 6:30 PM, tomcctv said:

Hi Paul. 

also remember to let your neighbours know it also benefits them 

my own BlackVue caught a Morrisons food delivery van turn into the street hit a parked car ripped it’s bumper off and damaged wing and door……then drove off still with his mobile phone to his face…… with no one seeing it happen the police could not help ….. I was told about it next day and gave him the footage …. Now not at his expense to repair….. it was the BlackVue footage that gave the driver the extra charge of driving with mobile phone. 

yes the camera is at your cost but the feeling is good when helping others

https://blackvue.co.uk/what-is-parking-mode/

anything with park mode on will fit your needs

also you don’t need it fitting ….. it can be fitted by anyone in 20 mins as it comes with fitting tools