rory

This is funny!

http://www.rugged-cctv.com/digital.htm

they claim they invented the embedded on chip DVR technology!

If you read the entire long page, it is interesting though, I mean it is a great sales pitch Reminds me of those late night ads on TV.

Oh yeah, I installed the remote software, its' OUCH', it has to connect to each camera individually, and manually, and every time you switch window views you have to reconnect cameras etc, in other words, dont bother!

They are very proud of their system. I must admit they write good copy. I wish one of the DVR guys I represent would do writeups like that. I might get more DVR sales. I do wonder about the fact they have no contact information other than a telephone number. Little suspect that you can't find an email address or a physical address anywhere or at least I can't find it.

Yep, thats what I mean, great sales pitch there!

Sounds alot like the sales people on TV that are selling how to get rich off the government, selling PCs, or body enhancements.

Its like someone gave the sales guy some info and he went above and beyond with it! But then that is marketing I guess.

If I didnt know any better, id pull out my credit card in a flash!

Edited by Guest

Hunt is like Provideo, they buy from other manufacturers and label them with their name.

These are the guys that really make the DVR. That place is a poser, pretending they make them.

http://www.webgateinc.com/wg_htdocs/english/products/products_webeye_DS1600Q.html

I find the above post(s) very interesting: I went to the Rugged CCTV site (saw a post about the company in another group) last week. I was impressed with the info that I saw, and gave them a call. I talked with the gentlemen that wrote the ad/story (Allen), and after I sent him my credentials (showing that I am in the security business) he had his secretary (wife I believe) e-mail me prices. The prices looked Ok, so I e-mailed the secretary, to tell her just how sincere I was in making a purchase of 3, 16 ch units, and that I would like to fly out to their facility (near Dallas, Tx) and see their unit, and consumate our first purchase. This would have been a trip from North Carolina to Texas, with all the expenses that one would incur (maybe $1,000), but I was willing to do this. She told me that because they did business with the US Goverment, that no one was allowed in their facility! Now I know why . . . they operate out of their kitchen. Saved; in the nick of time . . . Thanks for the info.

You may wish to take a look at the 7th or 8th reply down under this thread. As a follow up to the mentioned post, I went to the "Hunt Electronics" site, which was mentioned in about the 6th reply. What I found was very interesting to me. It does look like the "Hunt Electronics" company is the manufacturer of the DVR shown on the "Rugged CCTV" site. I called "Hunt", and found out that one of their distributors is "Systems Depot", whom I do business with on a regular basis, and they are only 150 miles from me. "Systems Depot" had the "Hunt" rep. call me (in less than 15 minutes) and arrangements for a demo are under way. "Systems Depot" prices are $500 to $600 less than "Rugged CCTV" and they are fantastic people to do business with. Does anyone know Wade Moose, who started "Moose Products", and know owns "Systems Depot" ? Great guy; I have known him for many years.

every distributor i know of carries hunt cctv.

Systems depot os very professional though, I dealt with them before, great service, too far north for me though so I had to go back to Miami distributors.

I havent, but that Hunt DVR is made by: www.webgateinc.com out of Korea. Same thing Provideo (Speco) Does, they buy different DVRs from Asia, and relable them. It is easier than having to buy it yourself direct from Asia though.

I had a 30 min conversation with HUNT here in L.A. and tried 3 of there software demos online. Interesting DVR. You can connect a cd burner w/ a firewire cable, does POS text search with a cash register with a com port out och streams video really well. It doesn't have a webserver built in so you have to download their software to make it work. Not good for pre schools. I am going to go down there and have them demo it for me. I am usally a little sceptical about dvr's that stream video well.

The local recording quality then usally looks pretty bad, all jagged when you blow up the picture full frame. Prefer to use a separate web server instead for the streaming part, and leave the recording quality to "best".

Question:

Has anyone used the avtech DVR's (4 and 9 channel) with there web server? Supposedly you can change channels on the DVR remotely through the webserver.

Has anyone made that work?

Fredrik

no, but how do you mean change channels?

And when you say it doesnt have a web server, do you mean you cannot connect to it remotely?

It is a stand alone, so locally should be very good quality on the CCTV monitor in full mode or not.

It has developers software so that is a good thing. Whats the price on the DVRs, Hunts price?

Rory

EDIT: my bad, that developers software is for their web eye product!

Got Avtech's web server to work with there dvr's. Pretty interesting. You can actually control there dvr through the webserver through a RS-232 cable between the DVR and the webserver.

Why bother? My experience of having the DVR itself stream the video is not good. If you have a DVR that records Mpeg-2 for example, the recording quality will be very good since that is a pretty lossless format. Good recording quality = bad web streaming. On the other side, if you have a dvr using H.263 the streaming will be excellent, because of the small file size, like 2-3 k per frame. Doesn't look very good when you blow it up, full frame. I thing to do, i think is to have 2 separate devices.

For example now with AVTECH 9 channel. Connect monitor out from DVR to web server in and a RS-232 cable between the units. Now you can control the DVR remotely with a 1 channel webserver! Does also support dynamic IP through a DDNS host like no-ip.com

Build in webserver= You can connect to it through a web browser. No dedicated software needed.

HUNT's 16 channel dvr's starting at $1750.

Build in webserver= You can connect to it through a web browser. No dedicated software needed..

Most DVRs have this now. The ones I use have it, though I prefer the dedicated software as it will always be more powerful.

But thanks for the heads up on the other stuff. Can you post an image of the blown up image using the web server, I have used some web servers also but they werent much better than the DVRs remote video except for speed.

it doesnt work, loaded once but the video was all messed up.

2nd time wont load.

Um...MPEG-2 is a very lossy format.

True, but still looks alot better then H.263 or jpeg. The file size becomes to big to stream well was my main point.

Which DDNS host do you guys prefer for dynamic IP's?

This is the dvr I have in 2 of my stores. It is made by webgate inc. I purchased mine for 2100.00 retail. i purchased the everfocus edsr900 and it does not compare to the webgate unit.

This is the dvr I have in 2 of my stores. It is made by webgate inc. I purchased mine for 2100.00 retail. i purchased the everfocus edsr900 and it does not compare to the webgate unit.

So you have the 16 channel Hunt/Webgate DVR?

Thinking about using a couple of them for a job. How is the recording quality compared to the live view??? Any problems with it. Also used a couple of the Everfocus ones. How do you think they compare / ifference, specially with the recording quality. Really like to know!!

Thanks,

Fredrik

Mine are the 8ch units. Both the recording quality and the live view are exceptional. I've used them to ward off 2 pottential claims with no problem. Keep in mind that I'm no expert though, So far I'm not very impressed with the Everfocus but the price was nice and I still think it will work for what I want it for. -Kevin

I was thinking about using them for the hogh end stuff. Though they ere good, but never tried one myself. The 8 channel and the 16 channel has the same algorith and everything so no difference there. Have they ever crashed on you? Di you still get a good remote viewing experiance if the recording quality is set to max?