Has anybody ran CCTV wires outside through the air? I have application where the client is wanting to put a camera on a light pole in the parking lot. Running some type of exterior cable from the building to pole would be much easier than cutting up and trenching through the asphalt parking lot. The buidling is about 20 feet high and the pole is probably 30 feet. The pole is about 75 feet from the building. I am worried about the weather affecting the signal with exposed cable hanging in the wind.

Anybody have experience (good or bad) with this type of install?

I have never done it but in this small town where I live I can tell you it works fine for the cable TV (coax) and telephone (Cat5) companies. They use wire rope and spin their cable around it.

It's just one of those cheesy install things, it'll probably work okay but you won't gain any respect for doing it that way.

I've strung up one aerial cable with 1/4" galvanized wire rope, a turnbuckle, shackles, and wire clips. I strung along some quad cable with it to control the zoom/focus. It's been up there a few years no problems.

just buy aerial coax - it as a "manwire"/guidewire attached to the cable that you can use to attach to a clip on the pole and a clip on the building so your not putting tention on the actually coax.. ive used it at scrapyards and its been fine

just buy aerial coax - it as a "manwire"/guidewire attached to the cable that you can use to attach to a clip on the pole and a clip on the building so your not putting tention on the actually coax.. ive used it at scrapyards and its been fine

I will have to call my distributors in the morning to see if they carry this type of coax. I really don't want to install the cameras this way. I am still trying to convince the client to keep the cameras on the building where they are safer and easier to maintain.

Thanks for the input.

if you can achieve the shot from the building then i would go back and find out their thoughts on why theyd want it out on the pole.. explain to them the issues with mounting a camera that close to lights and on something less stable that will sway in the wind

ive had clients that just dont think you can get a lens that will zoom in from 200ft out and the picture will be perfect.. maybe you can convince them to review your shot from the buidling first and if they dont like it then move to the pole as a secondary shot

Dont know the electrical codes in your area, but often if the cable is outside and exposed to potential lightning strikes then you may need to ensure the cable is connected to a proper earth ground point for safety (and to comply with the law, if applicable). Just a thought, it may not apply where you are, but no harm in checking.

my cable is on the pole across the road ... it got hit by lightning once .. i was without cable for 4 days ... though it is mostly metalic parts .. so it was looking to get hit ...