Arockerdude

How do you know when cameras have mechanical cut filters?

How do you know when cameras have mechanical cut filters? They dont allways specify in there specs and brochures. Can someone provide a list of cameras that have the mechanical cut filters? Thanks for the help. Dave

I was told the Panasonic WV-474 has it. But I am not sure.

The list is way too long to research and post here.

But you're right, it can be confusing, especially when some manufacturers list their basic Color/Mono cameras as Day/Night, when in fact a TRUE Day/Night camera should have a removable IR cut filter.

Best way is to look at the Spec or Data sheet of a given product. If it doesn't clearly say it's got a Removable IR cut filter, chances are it does not. Once you receive the camera you can double check by forcing it into night mode (with a NDF filter or simply by placing your hand over the lens). Usually you can hear the gear swinging the cut filter out of place (may take up to 10 seconds before the DSP signals the cut filter motor to operate, so be patient). Bosch cameras have an extremely quiet cut filter motor, so you really have to listen closely.

If you hear nothing, particularly on less expensive brands, you can be pretty certain there isn't an IR cut filter present.

Another way to check is to use an IR illuminator in the dark with the camera. Color/Mono cameras have SOME IR response, but it is generally very small. Cameras with a removable IR cut filter should have full IR response.

Hope this helps.

GECAMGUY

ya different cameras do have different sounds. The panasonic 480 series has a rolling sound to it. Thats because it has auto back focus on it.

The extreme ex40mnx has the most rapid mechanical ir cut filter i have ever seen. That thing moves fast. But it also has a ir pass.

but to answer your question yes the panasonic 474 does have a ir cut filter. that buy the way is one of the best vandal proof day/night domes on the market.

BTW this is a photo of one of the Extreme CCTV Day Night cameras (from an Extreme CCTV Spec Sheet),

shows the Mechanical IR Cut Filter (Right).

Most others will look similar.

irCutFilter.jpg

ya different cameras do have different sounds. The panasonic 480 series has a rolling sound to it. Thats because it has auto back focus on it.

The extreme ex40mnx has the most rapid mechanical ir cut filter i have ever seen. That thing moves fast. But it also has a ir pass.

but to answer your question yes the panasonic 474 does have a ir cut filter. that buy the way is one of the best vandal proof day/night domes on the market.

Yeah the Sanyo, you can hear it also .. I had too much glare from the UF500 in the beginning and caused the Mechanical IR Cut Filter to go crazy one night .. that it came off track .. I had to open up the box camera and refit it back in place .. simple enough .. then ofcourse fix the IR issue so it wouldnt do it again .. The Sanyo's are rock solid Day Nights for the price though

one time I had a extreme ex40mnx vandal proof dome with that was switching to black and white but not removing the ir cut filter so it could not even see its own ir's. So after speaking with ian at extreme he told me to manually flip it the ir cut filter and see if that worked. And it did. I had never seen one get stuck before that.