woter

Hanwha: Expensive mistake

Hi,

It looks like I have made a very expensive mistake. I bought an XNV-8081Z camera that can Pan, Tilt and Zoom, but apparently isn't a PTZ camera. I bought it hoping to utilise features such as auto-tracking, autorun, swing, tour, and trace functions.

According to this article, I have bought a PTRZ camera and what Hanwha support call, a "static" camera.

To the less-informed, could anyone tell me why a manufacturer would go to the expense of making a camera P, T, Z'able but not enable such features? Is there a difference in the components used and what is the market for such a camera?

Are there any "hacks" that will enable the features I require or is it destined for file 13?

For background, after contacting Hanwha, I understand I shouldn't have been sold this camera as I am not a "CCTV Installer" and as it was sold supply-only, I have no support.

Many thanks

Yes you have support so that’s rubbish 

this makes no sense at all …….

Camera - PTRZ is not PTZ

writen at the top of there page yet at the bottom you read this

The PTRZ function is controlled with the virtual joystick and can be maneuvered 360 degrees.  The forward and backward arrows will rotate the lens clockwise and counter-clockwise. The Auto Roll will allow the camera to adjust the rotation of the camera to a balanced view.

so it’s mis sold as it has ptrz in the description

so you have been missold a camera

now many companies give a made up name for adjustment it used to be call axis setup but just means you manually setup its field of view 

so basically you have a static camera that will never be a ptz so you can’t use it as one

samsung equipment is overpriced Hanwha has changed its name twice because of there mistakes 

now price of that camera you have …… is well overpriced…. You could have bought a real ptz camera with all you’re looking for ….. a lot less

but fight them for miss selling …… it is listed as a ptrz …….. there discription says not ptz yet same page says ptrz is a ptz

Thank you for pointing out the bit about the 360 and Joystick. I missed that.

I don't have any recourse with the supplier as I asked them to supply the specific camera. It's almost impossible to find companies that will supply these cameras to public Joe, so my attentions need to focus on Hanwha.

These manufacturers strike deals with suppliers but the suppliers only deal B2B and finding an "installer" that will be buying from one of these official suppliers is almost impossible. 

Coupled with the additional requirement that I'd like the camera to be on QNAP's QVR Elite support list - which is one of the main reasons I ended up with this particular camera.

I note the Axis and Hanwha "real" PTZ cameras are around 3-4 times the price I paid for this one. You mentioned I could have bought a real PTZ for a lot less. Could you name-drop some brands, please?

Requirements:

• Clear picture that can be used to actually identify people and number plates - even at night.
  • PoE (IEEE 802.3af/at)
  • Preferably on QNAP's QVR Elite support list, worst case ONVIF
  • 270 degree (or more) PTZ with area monitoring/scanning and tracking with zoom
  • IP66 - Outdoor use

What I would like to be able to do is set it up to sweep between ~4 positions 270 degrees apart and if it detects something moving, start recording, zoom in on and track the object. Due to the odd shape of my house, I'd need about 6 statics or 3 PTZ for complete coverage.

Thanks again.

Hi so am I 

so you have paid over £300 for the Samsung and it’s just a standard 5mp camera 

qnap does support most cameras but the problem is a lot of ptz are software based for tracking ….. a lot have there software on the nvr for the ptz tracking so you should be looking for ptz with software onboard it’s more reliable and much better qnap supports over 90% of either

but for the money your talking of I would look at smart tracking I’ll pm you a video of one 

Not to make things worse, but as soon as I saw the unit in their spec sheet, I knew it wasn't a PTZ camera due to the lack of it's size. I was surprised that it had a motorized varifocal zoom according to the specs. It does list it as "simple focus" whatever that means.

The other questionable 'function' is;  "Pan / Tilt / Rotate Range Remote adjustment (Max. 200cycles) ±175˚ / 0~85˚ / ±175˚"

This is a strange animal. :classic_sad: