kensplace

Geo card arrived today!

The GEO card arrived today, all nicely packaged up - looks like its going to keep me busy for ages figuring it all out

I am looking into a better system to put it in, but will cross that bridge later. For now I thought I would give it a whirl in my normal pc, which is way off-spec for a geo system, considering its

1. AMD XP 2000 processor

2. SIS Chipset

3. Old ECS motherboard

4. NVidea ge-force graphics card

On the plus side, it does have 1gig ram..

Well I can pleasantly say I was *very* impressed with the performance, right out of the box it worked, the picture was brilliant - *MUCH* better than the hauppage tv card, and the pico2000 card.

Not played around with much yet, there is so much to look at, I have increased the recording resolution to 768x512 and its working great on motion detection only recording.

Currently got 7 cams plugged into it, will try to get 16 hooked up, and see how far I can push it fps wise on this machine. Think its currently doing about 6 or 7 fps, but not tested properly.

Cant get over how good it is compared to the other cards I have had in the past. Still need to try the dsp tv out on it, will wire up a cable to the tv later, thats if I have any rg59 left after wiring up those cams!

Thanks to geovision for sponsoring and the to the forum for holding the contest - its a great card!

Still looking into upgrading the pc after christmas, but for now its still working fine.

I emailed geovision days ago about the sdk, and also how to add a custom ptz (for a non-supported controller) but not heard anything back so far (just emailed them again in case it didnt get to them).

Whilst waiting for a reply, I managed to figure out how to add a new ptz to the list and managed to get my BBV tx1000 working fine with geo for pan/tilt/zoom and focus. Had to set it all up for the bbv protocol, but seems fine, only thing I didnt bother with is the presets, as I have no pan tilt head with feedback pots on, so cant set up any presets to test them..

System slows down a little some times, but its still useable even with geo running, and browsing, and reading emails etc.

With a bit of luck the price of dual cores will plummet soon now the quad cores are out... Tempted to wait even longer, intel reckon 80 cores in about 5 year...