smarty

Samsung SCC-931T Set-Up and Geo Configuration

The Samsung is an antivandal dome with No Pan or Tilt, but it does have 12x optical zoom. I will be using it will my GV-1240 system with camera zoom control through my GV Net-IO card (RS-485). Anyone have any experience/guidance to set this up?

The Samsung camera has a number of RS-485 protocals available including: Samsung, Pelco-D, Pelco-P Vicon, Panosonic, Philips, ERNA, Diamond and VCLTP.

In the Geo PTZ configuration area, there are NO exact matches to this camera model (bummer). After trying a few different protocals that can be selected on the camera (and changing the Geo config to match), I have not been able to communicate with the camera.

Anyone have some good guidance??

Thanks,

If you are a DIYer thats quite the siggy.

Pelco D for both, obviously the PT won't work but the Z should.

Your ID seem familiar, do you have a media server or HTPC too?

Collin,

Yeah, you have probabley have seen me around before (including here, Sage TV board, PowerHome, and CoonTech mostly)

I too would have thought the Pelco D protocal should have worked, but it didn't seem to. Maybe my 485 net is not working (it used too though - ).

BTW what is "siggy"? I hope it's good

Steve

in SA TX

Edited by Guest

From my GV-Net/IO card, I have to connect the 9 pin serial connector to a "Keyspan" Serial to USB adapter (my damn new computer has no serial ports). I have had pretty good luck with these (I know others have not).

From this adapterI can open a data window where I am able to see the data traffic when I press the PTZ buttons on the Geo screen (see attached screen shot).

Question: Does anyone know how this should look?

I think my 485 problem is either with this adapter or with the camera itself (not responding to the different protocals that I have tried). Anyone have a good source for a NEW and inexpensive GV-COM box? That should eliminate the need for the USB adapter.

Any other ideas?

datawindow.jpg.2aea3e87594c2eaa0790ea6414063bc4.jpg

Siggy = Your signature line

GeoVision, Elk M1, RCS, Insteon, DMC1

I don't know what RCS or DMC1 is but I know the rest and it's all good stuff.

I bet we have crossed paths because of Sage or other HA, I do it all.

----

The USB thing is more of a stability issue as sometimes it doesn't get recognized when correctly when booting. It looks to me as though yours is connected and functioning.

Some of these may be basic questions please don't be offended.

You have run twisted pair to the camera (Cat3 or Cat5)?

Did you use normal say 18/2 or 22/2 alarm wire?

Have you terminated the RS485 bus at the camera with a resistor at the camera?

Verify your polarity and ohm out the pairs you are using.

What are you using as a power supply and where is it?

What version of Geovision are you using?

I'm researching too as I have never used a zoom only camera myself, it has always been full PTZ or nothing.

EDIT: I just reread, all you need is a serial port.

I can get you a GV-COM on the cheap but I suggest adding a real RS232 serial port and the GV-NET RS485 internal adapter card (doesn't need a PCI slot on the board). Looks cleaner and never fails on boot.

Which COM port is the keyspan setup as?

I noticed in their documents you can map the thing to COM ports that are in use or reserved. If you have an on-board modem it is probably using COM1 or 2. You might try changing the keyspan to a higher numbered COM or better yet get a serial mouse or modem and test to make sure you are able to Tx/Rx with the serial device on the end of the keyspan.

It does seem as though the keyspan tries to do this automatically but it doesn't hurt to verify.

You also need to make sure Geo is configured to use that COM port in it's config. IT defaults to COM1 which I kinda doubt the keyspan is using.

Do you have anything else on the 485 bus? Keyboard?

The Keyspan is set up on Com Port 6 (high enough to be out of the way). With my multimeter, I have verified that there is 4.47 Vdc across the RS-485V wires (polarity is OK).

I have also verified that when I press some of the Geo PTZ on screen buttons, I see RS-485 voltage fluctuactions (so that tells me that the Keyspan is sending signals to the GV-Net/IO card (which the RS-485 wires are connected to). My logic is OK...right?

So, now I am pretty sure it is a camera protocal set-up issue. See screen shot #1. This is where I have gotten into the camera OSD, and selected the Pelco-D protocal.

The next screen shot is where I have powered down, and then powered up the camera, it shows that my protocal changes have "stuck", and the camera says that it is "OK".

Now what to do.....?????

When I

I have verifed

config1.thumb.jpg.6bdcf5ef45f8805ad7b2914139ad8707.jpg

config.thumb.jpg.9d563e51d25f8ac051f571645dad5758.jpg

by the way .. you can get rid of those ugly Geo Blue Logos for the Video Lost and Blank Video Spaces ... by replacing camlogo.bmp and the videolost.bmp in the Main "comres" folder under Geo's folder. ..

here is a sample replacement for the blank video spaces ..

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/geo/camlogo.bmp (1.18mb)

BTW, Its gotta be a certain size file and also a BMP or Geo will crash.

So are you too saying that his config seems good? I really don't see anything wrong with it.

Yeah I have already been building a playing with the GUI stuff, nice addition.

Is geo setup to use the right address for the camera, check under camera mapping, address.

The cam is set to address 0, I would try address zero on geo, and also address 1 on geo for luck (sometimes the addresses are one out on some equipment for some weird reason).

Do you have a manual for the camera? Does it list what commands need to be sent to control the zoom?

Collin,

When I open up the camera dome, I have 5 push buttons (up/dwn, left/right and enter). Through the camera menu, I can manually get the cam to zoom 1-12X optically and 1-10X digitally. This all seems to work OK.

Ken,

Please see my first picture again. If I understand you right, I think I have set both my Geo address to "0", and the actual camera address to "0" (as shown in this picture).

I have tried setting the camera to "1" and Geo to "0" (and vice versa). I had read that note from the onscreen Geo exclaimation point "thingy" (a technical term)

Steve

I think kensplace is on the money.

GeoVision PTZ addresses are often 1 less for Pelco cameras

Therefor address 0 (camera) would be GeoVision address -1

If you change the address to 1 (camera) then the GeoVision address should be 0

Hope this helps

IMO the next step is using hyperterminal with a direct to COM6 connection to send specific ASCII text strings to the dome.

Samsung has been totally worthless in helping here! Their site has no documentation, it doesn't even list its protocols in the spec sheet.

I also suggest stepping up the baud rate to 4800 or 9600 and using addresses greater then 0.

I'm just working on the text string to manually send to the dome, if you already know it smarty then just update me.

EDIT:

I think I can already see a problem.

50393_1.jpg

I have your text string (I think ) .

It is:

FF,01,00,20,00,00,30

Sync,address,command1,command2,data1,data2,checksum

You are sending

A0,00,00,01,20,00,00,00,DE

You should only have 7 bytes, you have 9!

You have A0 instead of FF as a syncronization byte.

You appear to be sending a focus near (01) and the zoom in command (20) but it's difficult to tell as your bytes could be out of order and you are using address 0. My example uses address 1.

20 is the zoom command.

Data isn't used unless you make presets so I'm not monkeying with it now.

checksum is data less the sync byte mod100, all data is hex.

It is now working!! Thanks to all who helped!!!

I am not sure what did it, but I set the cam RS-485 address to "1", and the Geo address to "0". I also re-seated the 4 pin RS-485/alarm connector on the camera (I think that was it).

Anyway, I did get the Pelco-D protocal working, but that protocal did not seem to support the camera preset zooms. I ended up using Pelco-P (which supported the presets).

Now the cool part. I tied the I/O input of my GeoNet/IO card to one of my Elk M1's (a fancy alarm panel) outputs. Now, when somebody presses my from gate buzzer (tied into the Elk), the driveway cam zooms to that location.

Damn, it nice when things work as designed!!!

Special thanks to Collin...your efforts are truly appreacited

Steve in SATX