rory

Need IR Remotewith Keyboard Shortcuts

Basically im looking for a Remote Control that can work like a Keypad, where you can set up Key combinations like Shift-F8 etc /.. to control certain programs on the PC .. all I have seen so far only work with certain applications, but since this is my own app i coded id want to create my own shortcuts. Doesnt have to be anything elaborate, can look like a standard IR Remote, just need the shortcuts programmable function.

Thanks

Rory

Take a look at Proximis Girder - its possible to create custom solutions for IR/Wireless remote controls, it does this by intercepting the signal "what button was pressed?" at the PC, and doing pretty much whatever you like with the event.

Take a look at Proximis Girder - its possible to create custom solutions for IR/Wireless remote controls, it does this by intercepting the signal "what button was pressed?" at the PC, and doing pretty much whatever you like with the event.

Before you try that, try EventGhost it's free and IMO easier to use. If you have a USBIRT as an IR reciever you can quickly use any remote you like.

You'll really like it though as it also adds in about every other means of communications. TCP packet, Serial Data, X10 RF (what I use) all possible with good logic too.

I gotta ask, why not use the GV Remote?

I do have a GV250 here that appears to not support full screen or the remote. Maybe you are in that boat?

EDIT:

Nevermind I see what you are doing. You may well be able to use the GV remote and EventGhost to get this done. It all depends on getting the GV IR reciever recognized, I may play with this some later as I have both here.

EDIT x2!: I NEED GEOVISION IR REMOTE DRIVERS!!! I want to test this on a system without a capture card.

Okay if you use the drivers for the keyboard you get the IR too.

I haven't gotten the IR reciever recognized by EventGhost BUT I have captured what it is doing via it's keyboard commands. Very interesting, if you guys need to know any of the functions the remote contains that aren't listed on the hotkey menu let me know.

ie

Launch Viewlog

Keyboard.LCtrl+LAlt+2

launch OSD

Keyboard.LCtrl+Return

The function keys across the top are.

Keyboard.LCtrl+LAlt+1

Through

Keyboard.LCtrl+LAlt+8

only the first two are used by Geovision.

The pad only supports Up Dn L and R, no diagonals so mouse use wouldn't be too fun.

Okay if you use the drivers for the keyboard you get the IR too.

I haven't gotten the IR reciever recognized by EventGhost BUT I have captured what it is doing via it's keyboard commands. Very interesting, if you guys need to know any of the functions the remote contains that aren't listed on the hotkey menu let me know.

ie

Launch Viewlog

Keyboard.LCtrl+LAlt+2

launch OSD

Keyboard.LCtrl+Return

The function keys across the top are.

Keyboard.LCtrl+LAlt+1

Through

Keyboard.LCtrl+LAlt+8

only the first two are used by Geovision.

The pad only supports Up Dn L and R, no diagonals so mouse use wouldn't be too fun.

Sounds interesting .. i dont have one of the IR Remotes here to test but looks like it may do it .. all I need is a few keys..

1-Camera Setup

2-Ethernet Setup

3-Logout (to shell)

4-Logoff Windows

5-Restart Windows

6-Shutdown Windows

Currently I have the programmed to the F7-F12 keys ..

But i can change that easily.

If this works then actually I would also be able to do some multi view keys also .. though this wasnt going to be designed for much of any user interaction, it may be worth it.

So essentially it is acting like the keyboard right?

If so then it will work perfectly as thats what I need.

thanks

Rory

EDIT x2!: I NEED GEOVISION IR REMOTE DRIVERS!!! I want to test this on a system without a capture card.

Did you get this yet?

It should be in the GV 8.1 Local Install folder .. not sure which one but thats where it installs it from ..

they're using these guys for the Keyboard, so maybe for the IR Remote also?

http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31

Sounds interesting .. I dont have one of the IR Remotes here to test but looks like it may do it .. all I need is a few keys..

1-Camera Setup

? F9 gets you into config. You might look at the Geo remote and see how they did their OSD, if you like it you might just hack from there.

2-Ethernet Setup

I don't know about this...

3-Logout (to shell)

You can't use authentication, X

4-Logoff Windows

Native EventGhost support, system messages

5-Restart Windows

6-Shutdown Windows

Granted I am trying to run the whole system with a remote or keyboard emulation, remote config by VPN>RDP by service. I could put some hardware buttons on it, it's not a big deal to go USB IO inside the case.

I really love that program, once you get the hang of it you can get pretty in depth. For instance, in my bedroom I have a BeyondTV client that I control with an X10 RF remote, free with MX440 card anyway it at first appeared to only work with the NVIDIA software which was extremely limited. I tried EventGhost and was hooked, it has software switches you can use to make certain commands availble or unavailable or differing outputs. So Ulead DVD player and Winamp work flawlessly as well, focus can be dealt with. It really makes it easy to control multiple applications which doesn't help you much in this but is very cool.

what im saying is I already capture those keys in my program, and right now using those keys they perform those tasks listed, so basically it already works if using a keyboard, now i just need an IR Remote that sends those keys like you are using a keyboard ... sounds like the Geo remote will do it .. I need to get one and test it ... if it is just sending keys then I can make a simple program to capture each one and tell me which key matches which button ..

Get EventGhost and any of it's supported devices, USBIRT reciever is probably best, not cheapest. Like I said I like my X10 RF remote and most of those are supported by EventGhost.

I think you are doing an inversion of what I am doing, either way if you want IR>Serial, IR>TCP, IR>System anything, IR>Keyboard or any matrix of those you can dream up. EventGhost is a good option.

Colin, im testing a Geo remote now, i can get the keys you mentioned above .. in my code i just check for them .. once i know what to check for ..

Can you get me a list of all the Geo button events plleeeeaase ?

I installed event ghost but i only have this remote for a day (borrowed it) ..

cant seem to get anything out of Event Ghost ..well i dont know how to use it LOL . .

Thanks

Rory

ahhh .. never mind ..

I got it ..

check it out .. these are all the top keys 1-8

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/geo/GeoIRKeys.exe

just shows it knows what keys are pressed ..

next ill do the rest .. pretty easy using keydown in VB6 to get the codes for each button .

then once thats done a timer just to check for them ..

basically like this .. very rough code right now ..

Private Sub Timer1_Timer()
   If (GetAsyncKeyState(17) <> 0 And GetAsyncKeyState(18) <> 0 And GetAsyncKeyState(49) <> 0 And KEY_DOWN) Then Text1 = "KEY1"
   If (GetAsyncKeyState(17) <> 0 And GetAsyncKeyState(18) <> 0 And GetAsyncKeyState(50) <> 0 And KEY_DOWN) Then Text1 = "KEY2"
   If (GetAsyncKeyState(17) <> 0 And GetAsyncKeyState(18) <> 0 And GetAsyncKeyState(51) <> 0 And KEY_DOWN) Then Text1 = "KEY3"
   If (GetAsyncKeyState(17) <> 0 And GetAsyncKeyState(18) <> 0 And GetAsyncKeyState(52) <> 0 And KEY_DOWN) Then Text1 = "KEY4"
   If (GetAsyncKeyState(17) <> 0 And GetAsyncKeyState(18) <> 0 And GetAsyncKeyState(53) <> 0 And KEY_DOWN) Then Text1 = "KEY5"
   If (GetAsyncKeyState(17) <> 0 And GetAsyncKeyState(18) <> 0 And GetAsyncKeyState(54) <> 0 And KEY_DOWN) Then Text1 = "KEY6"
   If (GetAsyncKeyState(17) <> 0 And GetAsyncKeyState(18) <> 0 And GetAsyncKeyState(55) <> 0 And KEY_DOWN) Then Text1 = "KEY7"
   If (GetAsyncKeyState(17) <> 0 And GetAsyncKeyState(18) <> 0 And GetAsyncKeyState(56) <> 0 And KEY_DOWN) Then Text1 = "KEY8"
End Sub

BTW Colin, XP loaded the default MS drivers for it .. though its possible it was left over from a previous Geo Install also .. ill have to test on a fresh install of XP.