Arockerdude

Microphone Needed. What is a good one to get?

I would like to add a microphone to my system. I would like it to pick up sound from forty or fifty feet away if possible. One with an adjustable amplifier would be great. Any suggestions? And where to purchase? Thanks for the help. Dave

For that type of distance, you would be looking for a parabolic microphone. Typically they are large (20 inches) to get that type of distance.

The next best would be a cardiod shotgun microphone which is smaller. Along with the parabolic, you'll need an amplifier.

Louroe has various microphone kits (ASK-KIT-101) which include the audio base station amplifier and mic which is omni-directional and good for 15-30 feet which will integrate with your DVR.

You could look into electric condenser microphones, they are tiny but have great range. There will be ones out there that do that range easy, but they tend not to be directional.

I have a camera in my porch that records sound also. It's VERY sensitive and I can hear the tire drone from cars coming down the street from 1/8 mile away. It can also hear the two yappy little dogs inside the house even though the camera is outside.

I did a test last night where I played back video of me getting into my car in the garage, backing out, turning in the drive and then driving down to the road.

Even though the road is 150' away you can still clearly hear the car accelerate down the road. Of course this is in the middle of the country where there are almost no other sounds.

For you application I'd ask if there is a specific area that is 40' away that you want to record audio from (like your car parked in the road), or just anything within 40' of the house? The cheapo camera with audio that I have would work fine, but could be easily drowned out by closer sounds.

If you are trying to record around your car then can you put a microphone closer to the car?

And I'm going to add my usual warning. Please make sure that your area allows for audio recording. Please note that "Well it's for my home" has zero bearing on the situation. State and Federal laws do not care where the audio is recorded, simply that it is recorded. Also keep in mind that at the very least one party needs to be aware they are being recorded.

So if you set up a hiden camera with audio, and record two people who do not know they are being recorded the congrats! You just managed to violate Federal guidelines and commit a felony. Which means that submitting that tape is going to get you five to ten years.

Edited by Guest