Rebco

What do you Suggest ? Raid DVR

I am finally getting into using Raid in my DVRs, Slowly I'm learning the hard way. I use to use 2 hard drives 1 (10gb) for the operating system and a 500 or 750 for the video, But now everyone is telling me to use a Raid system (computer builders I know) i am thinking of 2- 500 gb hard drives using raid 0 with a 10 gig partion for the operating system, but would like to know your (the forum) thoughts on the subject and yes i know the difference in the type of arrays. Also i put this topic here because i just use geovision cards. Thank You

We used RAID 0 for a police station as they requested and it worked fine. It does everything you would need to protect data in this type of appilcation.

RAID 0 provides no protection, thats why it's not really RAID (the Redundent part) there isn't alot of difference between RAID 0 and JBOD.

If one drive fails all the data in the array is lost, I wouldn't suggest it.

RAID 0 does however probably provide the best read/write performance.

RAID 0 provides no protection, thats why it's not really RAID (the Redundent part) there isn't alot of difference between RAID 0 and JBOD.

If one drive fails all the data in the array is lost, I wouldn't suggest it.

RAID 0 does however probably provide the best read/write performance.

I thought raid 0 was the mirror raid & raid 1 was the "performance" raid?

If a raid 0 array goes down (one drive dies), its pretty easy to get the array running.

Raid 1 (if a drive dies) kills the whole array.

Again, I might have that backwards.

Ooops! I was wrong. I checked with one of our techs and as stated above RAID 0 simply combines the drives to look like one drive thus if one goes down they all do since data is spead among them. RAID 1 will mirror the drive providing data loss protection.

do you have a hardware raid controller or a software one? The best performance/protection blend would be raid 5 which is striping with parity. You need at least 3 disks but can have more. the capacity is the sum of all disks minus 1.

so if you have (5) 500gb drives, you get 2TB of usable data. with 3 drives it would be 1tb. a single drive's capacity worth of data is used for the redundancy parity. it is striped across all drives. this means that you can lose only 1 drive at a time, or else your data is lost. the array still functions with 1 drive offline and should autoatically repopulate a swapped drive

the performace is better than raid 1, worse than raid 0 but not by much

here's some instructions to get it to work on windowsxp (its only included on the server products)

most of the new sata raid cards will do this too.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/11/19/using_windowsxp_to_make_raid_5_happen/index.html