blowrabbit

megapixel cameras and IP cameras

I assume that both of the aforementioned cameras function and setup for remote viewing in a simular manner? I ask this as I have had success configureing a IP camera for remote viewing but have yet to do it with a megapixel camera. The IP camera just went thru a router/modem just like any other dvr with port forwarding , ect. and this ran with the other dvrs via a hub and i hope to be able to do this with a megapixel camera? Is it a plug and play kinda thing?

Yes, megapixel cameras are the same type of configuration. But, the cool thing is that most of the megapixel cameras give you the ability to control everything remotely, including iris, day/night switching, resolution, etc... Its pretty neat!

Ip cameras should let you do the same things as megapixels. (except choose between megapixel and vga sizes. obviously)

but ya a megapixel camera is the same type of configuration. But you better have blazing speed on your upload because they can get rather large filesizes.

... But you better have blazing speed on your upload because they can get rather large filesizes.

Thats right!

1. For example 3 mpixel camera can give a single frame from 150 to 600 Kb and with 25 FPS can use whole 100 MBit Ethernet just for one camera.

Personally I think you have to play with a bandwidth calculator for a twenty minutes before to get a impression what the megapixel cameras are consuming.

2. The second problem with a megapixel camera is a proper lens for it.

A typical CCTV lens has optical resolution about 0.6 MPix.

Initially I didn't found any proper lens, and was in panic but later I found couple of them from Tamron and Pentax.

Actually there are some mpixel lens, but I found only fixed ones.

So it will be nice to check the lens before!

Edited by Guest

Curious, does it make much difference having a megapixel lens?

Are the standard lenses that crap they cant work with a higher res ccd?

They must be bad if thats the case, I would have thought a decent lens would be fine? Or is it something else, like focal lenght?

Curious, does it make much difference having a megapixel lens?

Are the standard lenses that crap they cant work with a higher res ccd?

Exactly. Like if you take AXIS 206M - 1 megapixel camera - the picture looks exactly the same as AXIS 206 640x480 if you just zoom in photoshop.

It is not the only one example. Once I took the Mobotix M10 1MPix camera, that camera costs about 1000 EUR, and the picture was really the same as 640x480.

Optical resolution of the lens is a problem for megapixel cameras. I havn't found any zoom or variofocal lens yet.

Lens aren't rated in megapixels because they don't have pixels. Some really sharp marketing guys/gals came up with the concept.

The key is to have a GOOD lens designed for the format of the camera. Since most of the megapixel cameras have a 1/2" diagonal format, it's important to use a lens with a format diameter of 1/2" or bigger. A 1/3" format lens just won't do.

A good lens is required because minor flaws in cheaper lens can't be detected with a NTSC signal camera. A megapixel camera might detect the flaw. (But I haven't seen one yet)

Hope this helps

Howard Kohnstamm

www.videoguardit.com

ps. NICET certification in CCTV systems is now available. Now you can prove to the world just how great you really are!

www.nicet.org