Arockerdude

Hand held video cameras compared to CCT Cameras

My Sony Hi 8 hand held video camera seems to work better than my cct cameras. The quality of video was much better Than my Hi Res. Day Night cameras that I paid a fortune for. I was able to zoom in on the neighbors licence plate from 5 houses away. And the auto focus was great. And it worked in color mode with a sharp picture at night. I only paid $150 for that video camera. I think it would fit in an outdoor enclosure. The only problem I had was. When I was not recording. The camera would shut off after three minutes. I had an idea that maybe if I cut the recording tape and hit record it may not turn off. But I hate to think of all those parts in the camera turning 24 hrs. a day. the other problem is it said Rec. on the screen at all times. I went into the the menu and there was no way to stop the auto shut off. Or the Rec. display on the screen. I wonder if the new digital cameras would even display a better picture than the Hi-8. You can get open box small digital video camera for a $150 all day long. The thing that was amazing. The picture was way better than my Pelco 1390 Day Night camera and my Panasonic Day night camera. I am not happy with the way my pelco and panasonic look at night. To much snow from the gain. If I turn down the gain. I can't see enough at night. The hand held video cam works better in dark conditions. I called a CCT camera store and the guy told me it would cost about a thousand dollars to purchase a camera with the features and quality of picture that my hand held video camera could produce. So here is my questions. What is the deal? does it make sense that the cheap video cameras produce better images? Are they cheaper but actually better than CCTV cameras because they can sale mass quantities of the hand held video cams. Maybe CCTV cameras are more expensive because they don't sale as many. So they cant offer as good of components for the money?

I am going to do some more testing with the video camera into the Geovision. What are some of your thoughts on the hand held video cameras hi 8 and digital verse the CCT cameras. Thanks. Dave

The camera would shut off after three minutes. I had an idea that maybe if I cut the recording tape and hit record it may not turn off. But I hate to think of all those parts in the camera turning 24 hrs. a day. the other problem is it said Rec. on the screen at all times. I went into the the menu and there was no way to stop the auto shut off.

Take the tape out. That should stop the auto shutoff and no REC will display.

Remember that nice resolution/framerate is going to limited by the resolution of the recording device.

If I don't have it on record . It shuts off after 3 minutes. The tape must be in to record. I use the Geovision 800 for recording. Does that mean that a video tape records better than the GV800? Dave

If I don't have it on record . It shuts off after 3 minutes. The tape must be in to record. I use the Geovision 800 for recording. Does that mean that a video tape records better than the GV800? Dave

You are not recording the video onto the tape in the camcorder, correct? The video is instead going to be recorded on your GV800?

I once used a Sony Handcam to keep an eye on an area of my garden where I suspected a groundhog was living. I aimed the handycam at that corner and hooked it up to a small tv that I put on my desk while I was working. The camera kept turning itself off after 3 minutes, just like yours.

I read the manual and it said that it will not time out of it is running on the power supply and if there is NO tape in it. ie, if there is a tape in there it WILL timeout if you don't hit record. If you DON'T have a tape in there then it will NOT timeout.

Take the tape out, plug it into the power supply, turn it to camera mode and plug the output cable into your recording device. It should not power off.

That's what worked for me. Hopefully it will work for you also.

Opitical PTZ Camera for $150?? I Paid $200 for a Mustek Digital video Camera and I cant see anything in low light?

Id like to see some images though ..

Also remember they are not designed for 24/7 operation.

I would need to see the specs of the camera, google just brings up spam websites for that model you mentioned.

Cheap video cameras dont produce better images generally. For one thing, there are the components which make up the camera, which cost alot. There are many versions of chips, and they cost depending on the quality of the chip, and then the amount you buy. So since Sony makes the Chips for those cameras you mentioned, and probably sell alot more of them, they can afford to sell them for less. BUT, if you look at the cost of their CCTV cameras, they arent exactly cheap.

There are many things that make the difference between a CCTV camera and a consumer product. From a cheap CCTV camera to a high quality (expensive) one, alot of it is just in the PSU board/s .. but the Chips also make a huge difference. The ability to see in low light brings the cost of the chip up considerably. Most consumer products dont have that requirement ..

Anyway there are alot more but if you post the camera's specs then we can go through them. .

I havent used a Pano myself, yet, but ive used others and I know that most of the time, the more it costs, the better it is, but that is not always the case. I have used quite a few Day Night cameras though, including Extreme CCTV. But really just because it costs alot doesnt always mean it is better than one that costs half the price. Its really important to read the specs and understand what the features represent. Most cameras under $200 dont generally do much of anything in the way of Decent Day Night video though.

Rory

Rory wrote: But really just because it costs alot doesnt always mean it is better than one that costs half the price. Its really important to read the specs and understand what the features represent.

I could not agree with you more on that statement Rory. When I started messing with this stuff about five years ago, learning what the specs were and meant was the first thing I did. And I must say it was not that difficult. I learned about resolution, lux levels, db noise level and so on. Simply, what the specs were on the product sheet. From there, I matched the resolution, for example. If the camera is 480 then, the monitor should be 480 or above. The DVR should produce at least that in live view. Note that I said live view. I believe play back is a whole different ball game because there are frame rates, compression, and other factors to deal with as well. However, that is an area you have to work with for max performance within your means as well. Many of the good CCTV sites provide information on what it is all about.

Anyway, my system may not compete with Vegas, but it will knock your sox off when comparing it to most local stores, bars and so on.

I used a Samsung Hi8 camcorder as my GeoVision input for years!

DriveCam1.jpg

To get it to give me a video signal out, I had to:

Turn the camera on, with no tape in it, and leave the cassette door open.

I had the ice cube power supply adaptor powered from a UPS.

That way it remembered focus ( I used manual focus option ), and other settings that would change on me when power went off.

At night I would shut off the camcorder, and in the morning I would start it back up.

This sometimes caused an accidental change of the camera position.

The new CCTV camera I replaced it with remembers everything with power loss.

That is a big improvement for me.

The picture quality of the CCTV camera is better.

It took me awhile to get the focus right, but I am a noob at this stuff.

Towards evening, my CCTV camera will see better longer then the camcorder.

And if/when I add some IR to my target area, the mechanical cut filter on the CCTV camera will give me a reason to leave the camera run 24/7.

Overall, I am pleased with my change from the camcorder to the CCTV camera ..... and I am sure a properly trained and experienced CCTV installer would be able to make additional improvements.

If you have a quality camera, your problem could be simply finding the right ajustments/settings.

Hey Arockerdude, When I take the tape out of my Sony Hi 8 (TRV318) and connect the power cord, the camera stays ON. It also will display a yellow icon in middle of screen with an X through a tape (to let you know tape is missing). I pressed the "display" button (not in menu, button next to my counter reset) and that yellow "no tape" icon disappeared.

Meanwhile, I have similar question. What is the very best picture quality color CCTV camera out there? Let's say I have $1,000 to spend. I also need at least a 10X and perhaps 20X optical zoom (lens) on this CCTV camera. Is there anything out there that looks as good as my Sony 1 Megapixel MiniDV, or my Sony Hi8 camcorder?

Thank you,

Gary