JT

What Motherboard? GIGABYTE GA-945PL-S3 or ???

I should ad, I want to record 8 cams @ 720x480 with 4 CH audio all on 24x7 recording.

Edited by Guest

I have assembled what I think should work with this GV-800 card. Do any of you good folks see any conflicts?

GV-800

All from NewEgg .

CHAINTECH VGA512C-SE76GS GeForce 7600GS 512MB GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

Item #: N82E16814145132

ENERMAX EG495AX-VE FMA ATX12V Ver 2.2 485W Power Supply - Retail

Item #: N82E16817194015

Kingston HyperX 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 (PC2 4300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KHX4300D2K2/1G - Retail

Item #: N82E16820144176

GIGABYTE GA-945PL-S3 LGA 775 Intel 945PL Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Item #: N82E16813128025

Intel Pentium D 945 Presler 3.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80553945 - Retail

Item #: N82E16819116255

$583.96 Total

Ive had problems with GA motherboards recently, id get an MSI or ASus.

Also, look at the ATI cards instead .. doesnt have to be ATI, just the ATI chipset. Though NVidia should work .. had a card before which didnt work with Geo.

Memory is fine, in fact gV800 will work with 256MB, 512MB+ preferred.

Never used the Pentium D with Geo, cant say. Though used the P4 5xx series (with HT) that worked great.

Thanks. Well as to the NVIDIA V card, I have had so many issues with ATI drivers in the past on NON geo systems I just gave up on them And NVIDIA has been stable 100%. I am looking for a stable system that will ensure 24x7 720X480 with 4CH audio performance. IE the whole package..

JT: I hear ya on the ATI problems. I've been building systems for years now and started out using ATI video cards. They were always my main problem area. Switched to nVidia and never regretted it! My systems weren't Geo systems though, they were just high-end AMD desktops.

I'm at the same point you are right now putting my house Geo system together. I got a 1240-8 Geo board, matter of fact I just got home from work and it was laying next to my door - didn't even open the box yet. I planned on buying the rest of the components tonight from NewEgg.

Here's my system:

Motherboard: ASUS P5W DH Deluxe #N82E16813131025 $215

Memory: Corsair XMS2 2GB # N82E16820145033 $364

Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad $199 (best power supplies on the market)

CPU: Inter Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13Ghz # N82E16819115004 $220 (should easily be able to OC this CPU to 3Ghz).

Total $998 almost double the cost of your system!! This system will be a dedicated 24/7 GeoVision video server, but it will be used as a workstation on occassion. My system isn't mission critical so I can afford to experiment with settings, OverClocking and other fun things. I enjoy learning new stuff.

Video: Not sure yet, only thing I know is it will be nVidia.

Video Hard drives: I have 2, 250GB WD Caviar drives from my last system that I plan on using in a RAID 0 Config. These drives will be just for video.

OS Drives: I have 2, 34GB WD Raptors from my last system that I will use in a RAID 0 config. I usually partition these drives into C: Operating System; D:Downloads; E:Programs; F:Data.

I have all the other components I need laying around from other systems. If you or anyone is interested in a PC Power & Cooling 510w ATX power supply let me know. I don't need it for this system, I need a 750w so I'm going to sell it.

Camera's:

2 - Nuvico NVCC-HW38951R36N-A

2 - Extreme WZ20

1 - Extreme Moondance Metal PowerDome PTZ Camera - IP68

Might look at this.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813131088

About a quarter of your budget, better brand and it has everything on board just add your CPU, RAM and a HD.

Spend the extra ~$140 on a good UPS.

Would this work with a gv-1120 6 camera system? Getting 1 gig of ram and 3.2 intel processor. Also would it need any additional video cards or I can just use the one on board (if so whats the cheapest nvidia card I can go with).

I am sorry for so many questions but im really stumped on choosing the perfect motherboard.

Thanks!!

Might look at this.

About a quarter of your budget, better brand and it has everything on board just add your CPU, RAM and a HD.

Would this work with a gv-1120 6 camera system? Getting 1 gig of ram and 3.2 intel processor. Also would it need any additional video cards or I can just use the one on board (if so whats the cheapest nvidia card I can go with).

I am sorry for so many questions but im really stumped on choosing the perfect motherboard.

Thanks!!

Ive built a 1120-16 channel system with 512DDR2 and a 3.2GHZ P4 5xx

Ran Perfect. Actually used on board video, but then I added an X300 ATI Card anyway, though didn't notice any difference.

Might look at this.

Thanks!!

Ive built a 1120-16 channel system with 512DDR2 and a 3.2GHZ P4 5xx

Ran Perfect. Actually used on board video, but then I added an X300 ATI Card anyway, though didn't notice any difference.

thanks rory !

and the board I used in that case was a cheaper MSI 865 Chipset Mobo also .. still had the Intel 950 video and after updates it was great.

Rory, I did a lot of research on Intel chipset MB's. Narrowed it down to the P5B & P5W. After reading several reviews and looking at the manuals I decided on the P5W. Here's a link to a really good review of the P5W P5B and other Intel MB's:

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2797&p=3

Not saying my selection is the best, just had to make a decision and I selected the P5W.

this is what Im going to be using next .. for a micro case version.

http://www.directron.com/p5lmx.html

and then this one for the full server version

http://www.directron.com/p5bdeluxemb.html

http://www.directron.com/p5lmx.html looks like a good choice. is 1gb of ram enough and can I simply use the onboard video. Read people had success with onboard video

yep .. with this case

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/directron_1929_557119746

Note im going for size now .. last few jobs it had to be micro cases .. the large cases just wouldnt fit ... in fact the last one i did, I gutted an Emachine case just for the DVR ..

this is what Im going to be using next .. for a micro case version.

http://www.directron.com/p5lmx.html

Hello Rory. I'm looking at that same micro board as well but I can't decide between the p5l-mx and p5l-vm.

I wouldn't mind paying the extra $19 for the p5l-VM as it has a NewEgg 5 star rating versus the 4 star p5l-MX. (I live by NewEgg ratings, can't help it - to be fair though, the VM only has 23 reviews compared to the MX 27 reviews). I also only buy Asus boards and will never switch.

VM:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131046

MX:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131041

Anything wrong with the P5L-VM for a Geovision GV-650 that you can think of (or any reason the MX would be the better choice versus the VM if the $19 isn't too much of a concern)?

It's for my home system that I'm upgrading. Probably pair it with the E6300 (unless I splurge and get the better value E6600).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115005

Anything I'm not seeing with the VM that I should be that would make it not be a good choice for a GV-650?

Cons: LAN shuts down around 320fsb which severely limits OC'ing. WinXP Standby/Hibernation were intermittently inhibited due to using PCI video since BIOS does not completely disable onboard video.

Cons: LAN shuts down around 320fsb which severely limits OC'ing. WinXP Standby/Hibernation were intermittently inhibited due to using PCI video since BIOS does not completely disable onboard video.

Read that but I won't be overclocking this board and I was planning on running Windows 2000 or 2003 server on it and I never use hybernation or standby modes on any servers. Anything else I might be missing though for running the GV-600 on it? (Note: earlier I said GV-650 but I keep forgetting I still only have the GV-600-8cam v3). The 650 is what I wish I had.

BTW, any descent upgrade paths from a GV-600 to a GV650 or GV800 that can do Version 8.1?

My GV-600 only does 7.x and I missed the upgrade promo they had a while back plus I don't know how good the promo was (you could trade in your old cards for new 8.x cards or something but my vendor never got back to me with pricing info on the upgrade promo).

you can run the GV600 or 650 or even 800 for that matter, on much less of a motherboard .. so dont worry too much about it. I havent looked at all the specs on that other version mobo yet .. plus i never go by reviews,. because alot of the times there are other underlying causes for a problem which the user did not take into consideration.

In fact, I have a 1120 running on a cheap MSI motherboard with not one issue , and an 800 with a 2.6 celleron, SIS chipset, and 256MB ram from a year and a half ago ... no issues once again.

You are better off spurging on a decent UPS with Automatic Voltage Regulation. Without some form of voltage Regulation even the best mobo in the world could be rendered useless.

Thanks. I already have several UPS's. I guess I'm wondering more from a point of problems issue on the board with GV cards than performance.

My last GV system was running a board with an AMD processor and it was fine for speed (AMD XP2000 which I think was only around 1.6Ghertz). Could only run the GV-600 since most others would of had the Glint\Via issue, which at the time, I should have just bought the 650 and upgraded to a different motherboard but I wanted to make my old AMD board last a couple extra years which it did, but now, going forward, I mostly only use Intel\Asus combo's.

When are you going to order your MX?

I'm on the fence between that and the VM at the moment.

I'll have to research it further I guess.

Also, what don't you like about the P5GZ? That looks like a good board as well for a Core 2 Duo system (That's the board Collin recomended above in this thread, just wondering what you like more about the 5L over the P5GZ?). I can't remember the difference between the 2 chipsets (GZ versus G).

thats the board Directron has .. i dont use New Egg.

It has everything we need.

Actually should be placing an order for a system over the next couple days.

Rory

thats the board Directron has .. i dont use New Egg.

It has everything we need.

Actually should be placing an order for a system over the next couple days.

Rory

Cool. You'll have to give us an update on how it goes.

It's starting to look like the only advantage the VM has over the MX (besides the 5 stars) is the 1394 firewire support which I won't be using anyway so now I just have to decide between the P5L-MX and the P5GZ-MX since it seems like the VM extra $19 is just paying for the firewire I won't need (can anyone confirm there isn't much else the VM adds over the MX?).

The only thing I don't like about the GZ is the reference in the specs:

*Due to chipset limitation, Intel® Core™ 2 processors can only run at a maximum speed of 800 MHZ FSB on this motherboard.

I heard this was addressed in a BIOS update but I haven't confirmed it.

Collin, were you eyeing the P5GZ or did you just quickly pick that board because it met the specs that JT was looking for? Have you used the P5GZ before? What do you think between it and the P5L-MX?

Both boards look very good and the price is almost exact ($10 difference maybe).

Which do you think is better and why?