JT

What Motherboard? GIGABYTE GA-945PL-S3 or ???

Remember im uising this for compact systems .. with and without an X300 Video card .. im going to try one .. if it sucks then Ill just sell the ones below .. but should be fine

Id be using this for the larger systems with more drives ..

http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=185&model=515&modelmenu=1

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/directron_1929_777998513

with a Dual Core 3.4

and this one for the higher end system ..

http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=307&model=1295&modelmenu=1

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/directron/ds3141ssbk01.jpg

with a Quad-Core CPU BX80562QX6700, 2.66 GHz, 8MB

this is the one im looking at for the budget systems ..

http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdetails.asp?model=865G%20Micro%20775

with a 15" LCD, 2.66 Celeron, i can get this under $400. Enough to run a GV650.

And before anyone mentions it, that Biostar Mobo is alot better than the mobos found on most of the mainstream Dells, HPs, etc.

Hey Rory. Check out New Egg's website today, they just added the OEM version of the board you want to get.

It's only $51. I'd post the link but I keep getting a posting error. Just go to New Egg's site and search for p5l, it will bring up the 3 boards (The MX retail, MX OEM, and VM).

Collin, were you eyeing the P5GZ or did you just quickly pick that board because it met the specs that JT was looking for? Have you used the P5GZ before? What do you think between it and the P5L-MX?

Both boards look very good and the price is almost exact ($10 difference maybe).

Which do you think is better and why?

I like the P5GZ-MX because:

1. It's and Asus

2. It has lot of hackability for an OEM system builder.

3. It has on board video, the Intel graphics accelerator has proven to me to be comparable with ATI and Nvida for CCTV DVRs (may well take my home theater business too). No for gaming, not at all!

4. It's actually cheaper.

All of those things are also in common with the P5L-MX, I would expect it to perform great as well.

Hey Rory. Check out New Egg's website today, they just added the OEM version of the board you want to get.

It's only $51. I'd post the link but I keep getting a posting error. Just go to New Egg's site and search for p5l, it will bring up the 3 boards (The MX retail, MX OEM, and VM).

thanks, yes larry is checking into the link errors.

Rory

Anyone running VISTA with the GEO software?

I dont think anyone would want to .. ive heard it is such a slower OS ..

the cost of parts to build the DVR would make it too expensive to resell to clients, and to maintain the new OS .. that wont be ready for quite a while yet, ive heard it is much different.

Turns out i just today had to swap a MSI board that was causing issues, at least everything was changed and still causing issues, so only thing left is the mobo (well CPU also but doubt thats it).. anyway all they happened to have in the local store that wasnt over $300 and had an Intel Chipset, was a P5L-MX

Loosing money on the job but at least now I get to test this mobo ..

with a GV1120 also

Its all been swapped but still have to attach the power switch cables, etc, boot up, and load Windows and Geo. Will let you know how it goes ..

Oh yeah, im going to use onboard video for now ..

I think you'll like the P5L-MX. I picked one up and turned it into a media server \ home arcade system (MAME and other emu's). I originally was going to use the P5L-MX for the home surveillance server but I became hooked on some old school games and chose to do that one first but I want to order another P5L-MX to upgrade my GEO system with.

I have to see if they will let me upgrade my GV-600 rev 3 to the ver 8 one but I don't know if they will. Has anyone had any luck with the trade in program?

You'll have to let us know how you like the P5L-MX. I think it's pretty good, older ICH but it's more proven. It's hard to go wrong with ASUS.

Thanks, so far so good ..

Its a 945 chipset BTW ... so not too old ..

they had the 915 as an option actually .. but I didnt want to use that in this case ..

I may actually just get these for the home PCs too, instead of the 965's ..

Since they are quite a difference in price .. for us down here at least.

Besides if we ever upgrade to a quad core CPU, then thats going to cost anyway, and they will have a new version motherboard/chipset out by then.

Ok! The system has been running for some time now and working perfectly!.