MoneyMike

ip encoders/decoders dvtel, other brands

Hi everyone i am thinking of starting using dvtel ip encoders/decoders for my site.

Im wanting to get some history and advice on their gear.

do dvtel make all their products or do the rebagde them like other people in the industry.

what would there performance be rated compared to pelco's ip range.

many thanks

Rory has some good advice on performance although codecs change pretty quickly. I have had good reliability out of mine in a very tough environment. The server software is great. I haven't looked at any others but I can't imagine anyone doing it much better. The database is well designed, all the third party products are also done well. Very stable, scaleable and standardised.

Hi,

The DVTel encoders are rebadged Verint encoders. I dont see much performance difference between pelco and DVtel but have only seen the pelco setup the 1 time. Dvtel will give you more custom options when configuring your veiwing and recording streams.

DVTel has launched new encoders with their own encoding boards. The single-channel version is smaller than that of Verint's.

Don't buy Pleco, was told by a guy that works for Pelco and someone on this board that the Pelco hardware was made by a German company that sold out to Bosch. After that Pelco has no one working on software updates for their PelcoNet's. I just swapped out 2 pair with VivoTek and the only problem that I have had is one of the decoders came with newer firmware than the other for some reason the one with the newer firmware, the video is lower quality with the same settings. They are looking into the issue and in the mean time are supposed to send me the old version to load on it.

Problem that I was having with the Pelcos is that I have a wireless link between the cameras (about 3 miles) and the DVR and when the wireless would drop packets from time to time (as any wireless network does) they would sometimes stutter and drop connection to the decoders. All I would have to do is go out and power cycle the encoders but sometimes it would do it 3 hours later or 3 months later. Have had the VivoTek's in place for 2 weeks with -2 degrees weather outside of the enclosure and no problems. We will see around -25 here in Colorado before the winter is over and 100+ this summer so we will see how things work.

yup, Pelco got their initial encoders from VCS (a german manufactuer, which was bought out by Bosch in 2004/5) - and they named it PelcoNet.

Then Pelco introduced the Endura system - and they made it so difficult for dealers to sell. A Dealer has to pass a NETWORK exam, before they can sit for a Pelco Endura training. And the software runs on Linux - this is a soft-spot for a lot of debate. Suffice to say, how many engineers can be readily find that can support a surveillance application running on LINUX?

Yes, DVTel encoders (some) are from Verint. (Verint bought SmartSight years back). Pelco does not make their cameras as well - they just assembled them, and did a great job making them good.

The camera modules in the CCTV market is dominated by Sony & Hitachi anyway.

So who's to say they make their own camera module....