jeromephone

anybody else having problems with Paypal?

i was notified of someone trying to use my account 3 weeks ago and I went through the drill of changing all the security stuff about 4 times and they are still locking me out of the account. The other problem is that I did not have enough money in paypal to pay for the item in question and they made an attempt to add money from my bank account. It did not work but I had to check out everything and cancel my check card

Just wondering if anyone else has had any problems or am I an isolated case?

I have been using Paypal from the start-up. Ebay since 1998. Get "Phishing" emails almost daily from sites, that I must say, are exact replicates of them both. Whomever is doing it , they are pretty good. When I get an email from either one , I send it to "Spoof@ ebay.com" or to "paypal.com", and wait for the return. If you also try to send someone money, who doesn't give you an accurate email address, or an out-of-date address, Paypal will go through fits . Never been scammed yet on Ebay or Paypal to date, but I guess there is always a 1st time!!

I was just like cachecreekcctv until last week..........

I was on a conference call and I notice an incoming email from service at paypaldotcom with "Your Payment Has Been Submitted" in the subject. I opened it thinking it was going to be one of the jillion "Dear PayPal Subscriber" type emails we all get and saw that it had my name correct at the top. Hmmm, these guys are good, I thought to myself. It went on to say that "Your payment for $800.00 to badperson at hotmaildotcom has been initiated. This payment will be completed once the recipient has accepted the payment" Now I'm getting worried....

Immediately following this I get the followup "Payment Accepted!" email from badperson at hotmaildotcom account with very convincing Transaction IDs and the payment detailing "Directory Submission Service" and a note saying "Thanks alot!". I'm freaking out now! I go into paypal and sure enough, a transaction for $800 to this hotmail account happened. I immediately called PayPal and waited for 35 minutes before someone finally answered. Basically they told me that if the transaction wasn't authorized by me that they would take care of it, within TEN DAYS! After telling them that it hadn't hit my bank yet (I checked) and couldn't anything be done, they said NO, NOTHING. Not until the 10 day "investigation" period was over. That meant that they were going to pull $800 out of my bank account and keep it for 10 Days and there was NOTHING I COULD DO ABOUT IT. I went two levels up in the Customer Service organization and finally had the manager tell me that the only thing I could try to do is get with my bank and stop payment (at my cost of $40). I did this fortunately, and PayPal is now in their 7th day of "investigation" and has my PayPal account LOCKED because my bank refused to honor the transaction. I just got off the phone with another Customer Service rep and she told me that it would remain locked until this was resolved. She also told me that their manager shouldn't have told me to stop payment as they had already paid the perp that started this whole mess. We'll see how it comes out but if I ever use PayPal again, I'll have a separate bank account for it alone.

Be Careful....

Schwazche

I have a seperate account ONLY for paypal. It is not linked in ANY way to any other account. I recieve phishing mails atleast twice a day about paypal and other accounts. I don't even open them. If I make a paypal purchase I deposit the EXACT amount into that account plus any fees if needed. Normally I'll keep only $5 in the account. I highly recommend anyone that has an online account like paypal or any other to do the same. So far it has stopped 3 unauthorized transactions in the last year. The scary part is the 3 that were stopped were to be transferred to the middle east (Saudi Arabia and Yemen).

I also have a separate checking account, which I use only for Paypal and not much else. Many times, though, I change the Paypal payment to Visa, in the payment options menu. Been "burned " only once by someone with my Visa. Got a bill for $5000 for "diet pills" all the way from China. Visa took care of it immediately, and didn't cost me anything but time to change a few details online. I am 6' tall and weigh 180 pounds, so didn't need the diet pills........not yet anyway. Get "phished" every day . Some are actually very professional looking, believe me.

I was just like cachecreekcctv until last week..........

I was on a conference call and I notice an incoming email from service at paypaldotcom with "Your Payment Has Been Submitted" in the subject. I opened it thinking it was going to be one of the jillion "Dear PayPal Subscriber" type emails we all get and saw that it had my name correct at the top. Hmmm, these guys are good, I thought to myself. It went on to say that "Your payment for $800.00 to badperson at hotmaildotcom has been initiated. This payment will be completed once the recipient has accepted the payment" Now I'm getting worried....

Immediately following this I get the followup "Payment Accepted!" email from badperson at hotmaildotcom account with very convincing Transaction IDs and the payment detailing "Directory Submission Service" and a note saying "Thanks alot!". I'm freaking out now! I go into paypal and sure enough, a transaction for $800 to this hotmail account happened. I immediately called PayPal and waited for 35 minutes before someone finally answered. Basically they told me that if the transaction wasn't authorized by me that they would take care of it, within TEN DAYS! After telling them that it hadn't hit my bank yet (I checked) and couldn't anything be done, they said NO, NOTHING. Not until the 10 day "investigation" period was over. That meant that they were going to pull $800 out of my bank account and keep it for 10 Days and there was NOTHING I COULD DO ABOUT IT. I went two levels up in the Customer Service organization and finally had the manager tell me that the only thing I could try to do is get with my bank and stop payment (at my cost of $40). I did this fortunately, and PayPal is now in their 7th day of "investigation" and has my PayPal account LOCKED because my bank refused to honor the transaction. I just got off the phone with another Customer Service rep and she told me that it would remain locked until this was resolved. She also told me that their manager shouldn't have told me to stop payment as they had already paid the perp that started this whole mess. We'll see how it comes out but if I ever use PayPal again, I'll have a separate bank account for it alone.

Be Careful....

Schwazche

I have a buddy this happened to, an employee used a keylogger to gain access to his paypal account.

I have a seperate account ONLY for paypal. It is not linked in ANY way to any other account. I recieve phishing mails atleast twice a day about paypal and other accounts. I don't even open them. If I make a paypal purchase I deposit the EXACT amount into that account plus any fees if needed. Normally I'll keep only $5 in the account. I highly recommend anyone that has an online account like paypal or any other to do the same. So far it has stopped 3 unauthorized transactions in the last year. The scary part is the 3 that were stopped were to be transferred to the middle east (Saudi Arabia and Yemen).

I do the same, I also have the bank agree to me personally authorizing all electronic (paypal) transactions. So basically it's a one way street but I don't buy anything with paypal so it makes no difference to me. I'm sure it's a violation of their terms of use but when my average transaction is several thousand dollars I don't have the capital to deal with their investigation policies. I have issued my share of refunds through paypal so they should know I'll give it back if the transaction isn't going to work properly.

-------

Oddly though the only time I've been had was through the card issuer, I ordered a new card. Within 2 weeks somebody had gone to a horse track in FL and emptied it through an ATM. Obviously they had the card and they had the PIN togther, my last bank said no fraud no refund. My current bank gave me a copy of all the related legislature and was able to get the $ back. Obviously they got my business too.

Thats pretty crazy though, the guy had the card and the pin.

LOL .. i keep my cash under my pillow ..

But how can they take money from your bank to pay something?

Or do you have money in the paypal account already?

I know my bank wont just release any funds no matter what.

Even when i receive funds it takes a week to transfer it.

With PayPal you can link a bank account(s) to your account so that you can electronically transfer money from your bank to your PayPal Acct.

Then the theif can send themselves all the money they transferred out of your bank account and the existing money in your PayPal account to themselves.

I have had my account locked before because I called and told PayPal that I received some phoney emails. I was very nervous to say the least. Now after reading this thread I decided to take out most of the money.

But if someone gains access to my account, they can transfer the money right back out of my linked bank account and still rip me off.

The idea of having a sepearate bank account for funding your PayPal account is a good idea. Don't link to your life savings account.

Up date

The fun continues I finally got my paypal fixed to where I can start using the account and I have to resend a bunch of personal info copy of utility bill etc. Account is in good standing so now I can cancel. The same day I get a call from Dell seems someone has opened an account in my name and has purchased a computer. I have to call dell but the only way I can talk to someone is to give out my SS number. I am thinking I am being setup but take the chance and sure enough I have an account. Now to cancel this I have to get a statement notarized etc. So far I have lost no money just aggraviation. I also put a froud alert on my credit reports.

Well it gives me something to do when the temp outside is -5

Up date

The fun continues I finally got my paypal fixed to where I can start using the account and I have to resend a bunch of personal info copy of utility bill etc. Account is in good standing so now I can cancel. The same day I get a call from Dell seems someone has opened an account in my name and has purchased a computer. I have to call dell but the only way I can talk to someone is to give out my SS number. I am thinking I am being setup but take the chance and sure enough I have an account. Now to cancel this I have to get a statement notarized etc. So far I have lost no money just aggraviation. I also put a froud alert on my credit reports.

Well it gives me something to do when the temp outside is -5

Glad you got it taken care of. Identity theft is a major pain in the you know what. Keep a real close eye on all of your accounts for at least the next few monthes. I would also notify ALL of the credit agencies and get a current report so they will keep an eye out as well. Good luck.

With PayPal you can link a bank account(s) to your account so that you can electronically transfer money from your bank to your PayPal Acct.

Then the theif can send themselves all the money they transferred out of your bank account and the existing money in your PayPal account to themselves.

I have had my account locked before because I called and told PayPal that I received some phoney emails. I was very nervous to say the least. Now after reading this thread I decided to take out most of the money.

But if someone gains access to my account, they can transfer the money right back out of my linked bank account and still rip me off.

The idea of having a sepearate bank account for funding your PayPal account is a good idea. Don't link to your life savings account.

My bank wont send money like that though, I can tranfer to my bank but only manually .. but I use a different type of bank (credit union), plus I dont have a social security number. .. maybe that makes a difference? To transfer money from my bank to another bank or anywhere actually, its a whole bunch of things I have to go through .. forms etc. I dont leave any money in there anyway, cant afford to.

The solution was in front of me all the time! Let them steal my id when they see the mess they are getting into they may want to pay me to take it back

Kind of like Twain's Ranson of Red Chief