rory

Anyone here know about Generators?

Electrical Company Generators .. the big ones ..

our island just got one they are calling it state of the art, blah blah blah ..

just looking for some info on it cause it sounds like they maybe lying to the people .. which is a typical thing that happens down here ..

Its called the D/A 13 Generator ..

Rory

Mott MacDonald got the contract for BELCO (big time global engineering consult team UK, IRE) The DA is in refrence to the upgrade/ extension here is some tech data for you on the previous DA desinated as Distribution assembly 12: MAN B&W 10K80MC-S low-speed two-stroke diesel engine (prime) and the extension upgrades info can be found here:http://www.mottmacpettit.ie/profiles/bahamaspower/ Did some work with slattery in my NY days (now slattery-skanska what else is new, all the old town cos are bought up by global players) and they did a lot of joint venture work with the North american sub Hatch-Mott MacDonald I remember guys talkin about the Bahama power job, and a lot of line men from the states went to work there after your hurricanes kicked some ass. They are not lyin to you on the upgrades but there is whole lotta downtime in boston, big time probs the tunnel specs and Mott Macdonald under Hatch (sub) is the same people doing (consulting and future) your Power plant. ok, hope this helps.

LOL yeah, well the power goes off all the time now .. its Summer. Seems that great Generator didnt do the trick it was supposed to do.

Hmmm easy solution get your customers to spend more money on UPS's

Sorry got no real answers apart from that one. We have big power issues here but have the money to solve them. We have a 20~30MW diesel power house (backup only it was replace with Natural Gas) a 20MW Gas Turbine and a portable 4MW Gas turbine. Yep portable comes on the back of 4 semi's .

Still its small and unreliable by city standards we probably have 10 > 4 hour and 20 < 4 hour outages per year.

Your most cost effective method of dealing with Power outages is a decent UPS. My main UPS is 30KVA with 1800kg of batteries and we power 8 servers, 8 workstation, 10 network devices for about 8 hours. Cost is about $23k AUD about $20k US. This is about 1/4 of the price of installing small 1kVA UPS's

Solar is way too expensive 2 cameras and one Network device (120w) cost about $15k. However it is very reliable, no moving parts.

Backup Gensets are just too unreliable. Best I found are from a mob in Canada called Mechron. They make incredibly reliable gensets/RAPS but at a price.

Guess your best option option is to argue for your mains power suppliers to install a backup prime genset with auto kick over.

yeah many people have generators down here, just like bars on the windows its a normal thing .. like having a car ..

But no I cant afford one plus I rent.

UPS .. yeah they are okay but the average consumer ones only last 15 minutes and our power is off from 1 hour to 1 day sometimes .. biggest thing here are Voltage Regulators .. cant live without them here.

The Power Company is a government Monopoly so cant ask them to do anything ..

Found 3 option depending on your budget

63180_1.jpg

63180_2.jpg

or the dulux model.

Rotarod.jpg

Didn't that last company make sewing machines.