nitronick

HELP! I need to set up a wireless rig.

Ouch. Our stuff is capable of 108Mbps Full Duplex. I would check your stuff. Just because it says 54Mbps, in most cases what your dealing with is 27Mbps each way. If you use MPEG-4 or H.264, you could do it with 27Mbps. I would also check to see how large of a processor is in your radios-- your AP's might not be able to handle that much data without going bonkers.

I would setup a rooftop AP array with Vertically Polarized 90 Degree sectors (4 of them) to 4 individual radios. You would then have reliable 360 degree coverage.

To do 360 degree rooftop coverage, I would have to locate the antenna array and APs to one of the buildings closer to the center of the grounds. I will lose line of sight for a couple of the more important cams.

I have no problems using higher compression, as long as I can identify faces. I will have a more indepth look at the AP information to see about the data rate.

How high would the antenna array have to be to not lose line of sight?

I'm not sure.

PSPFGrounds-1.jpg

X is the coliseum. It is the tallest structure on the grounds. I would guess it is around 50' tall. Maybe more. I believe there are air conditioners that I can mount a mast to. I'm not sure how I would go about fine tuning the antennae once it is in place.

I think building 1 and building 2 will block my line of sight to cam positions 1 and 2. I have no idea of their height. There are also some trees blocking cam position 2. I don't know if that will make a difference or not?

Mounting an 360 degree array on this building, my other concern would be cam positions 3 and 4. Since they are so close to the building, I think I would have to mount antennae on the edge of the building looking down towards those positions. That kind of kills the 360 degree setup.

What do you think of my original idea of mounting 2 45 or 90 degree sectors on the office? Do you think the distance is going to kill that idea?

I studied the manual for the AP. Other than what I have listed, I couldn't find any information of the data rate.

Anyone have any input on my option, I'd kinda like to learn something as I haven't done enough of these.

Anyone have any input on my option, I'd kinda like to learn something as I haven't done enough of these.

Well, you are better off than me because I have done NONE of these!

The system is not permanent to the facility. One of my needs is to be completely wireless, or at least all of the cams being wireless between them and the APs. A couple in your shot was wired.

I had a look at your site....where in Oklahoma are you? I'm in Edmond!

I am down in McAlester however I have never actually done an install down here.

I have done a few in installs in Edmond, I don't recognize your facility specifically. I must say though I didn't spend much time sight seeing either.

I prefer wired over wireless whenever possible, so yes rather then spend the money on individual cameras and radios I would pocket the $ and wire them together with a single access point. Alot of the ground you showed would take less then 2 hours to wire and would save several thousand dollars. I can toally understand not wanting to trench your parking lot by about the longest possible path but cameras 50' part with a sidewalk as a barrier... I wouldn't suggest it to my customers even though it would be more profitable and easier for me.

I assume this is an IP based solution?

Yes, it will be an IP based solution.

Our company is an event consulting and management firm. As an offshoot of that, we implemented a real time wireless scanning bar coded ticket system. The wireless camera setup was something always in the back of our minds as an addition to the ticketing, but this is the first client that actually brought the subject up.

The facility in the pictures is located in Texas. They have a nine day event every year, and his ticket workers are stealing quite a bit of cash from him and the gate workers are letting people in without paying. If I can get this up and running, it would be a system I could sell to our other clients. Hence why I need to keep the hard wiring down to a minimum.