yzf_andy

Indoor IR camera suggestions

I am working on a project right now where I need to install several camera's inside an office area. Some of the rooms are small in size (12 x 12 in one case), so I need a camera with a wide angle lens (definetly less than 3mm.. the closer to 2 the better).

The two biggest issues the client wants are:

1) enough resolution to see what his employees are doing, and

2) he wants the camera's to be able to see at night with no lights on in the office. (He is pretty adament about wanting them to see in zero light)

Are their any camera's with integrated IR illumination that you can suggest? I am open to any recommendations. Thanks.

Hi, I'll let others tune in on this, but first a very quick note, 4mm is approx 70 degrees, while a 60 degree IR Bulb is typically considered a flood, the widest angle on the market for IR. You will find the majority of Cameras with IR built in, will only have a 30 degree IR width, made with LEDs.

With that said, you might want to consider motion detection lighting, unless the client requires it less obvious.

Rory

The cameras and the application are hard for what your customer needs. Most IR cameras have or come with a 4mm or 6mm lens. This gets a closer picture while creating less of a halo effect on the camera.

I would suggest what Rory suggested. Get some motion detect lighting. I would use regular cameras with IR. There are some IR cameras out there that do have the 3.6mm lens and do not get the halo effect. Hopefully this helps a bit.

If you have IR on the cam it will always suck. Very few exceptions and they aren't in your price range. It sucks and should be avoided, get IR seperate.

I'm thinking even my IR floods would overwhelm the room with a decent camera. You might have to bounce them off a wall/ceiling to get the the proper effect without bleaching everything. This could also make use of a digital day/night as they aren't nearly as sensitive.

12'x12' is pretty small.

It helps if you mount the cam over the door if it's in a corner, nothing much happens there and you would capture anyone there when they come/go.

Cameras with built in IR leds - where's my big construction hammer?.

Totally useless, stupid nonsense.

Phew!

feel better now