rory

Questions to ask when quoting a CCTV system

Im making a script that will 'help' make a decision for a CCTV system, based on user input, such as types of cameras, from issues like lighting, outdoors, vandal resistant, hidden, etc, number of cameras, and ofcourse the ever so controversial, DVR type.

Anyway, will break it down into 2 sections, Cameras, and System (DVR etc).

To start with im looking for typical questions asked when quoting cameras for different applications. All ideas, comments are welcome.

Once the script is complete, it will be available to anyone interested, no charge, to use on their web site, in classic ASP, which almost every Paid 2000, XP, and 2003 hosting company supports.

It will also be available in a PDF format, and maybe other downloadable media types.

Thanks

Rory

i toyed with this idea some time ago, good on you for doing it.. for what it is worth.

1/ What is the longest distnce from camera to recorder

2/ How many users will access the system

3/ What is in your roof

4/ Descretion or deterant.

5/ Do you leave lights on at night.

6/ Do you want redundancey

7/ How many days recording do you want

8/ Are your premises air conditioned

9/ Do you hose near your cameras.

10/ Will you want remote access

11/ What POS system will you have

12/ Will you want to renevate and extend in the future

13/ Do you want battery back up?

14/ On a scale of 1 to 10 what is your PC literacy

For each camera location, I'd ask:

- dummy camera okay?

- night viewing (low-lux or zero-lux?)

- discretion/appearance concerns?

- covert?

- resolution requirement(need to spot someone, recognize known faces, or identify unknown faces)?

- weather resistant (outdoor)?

- vandal resistant?

- fixed or PTZ?

- fixed focal, varifocal, or zooming?

- fixed, manual, or auto iris?

If the answer to the first question is Y for all locations, the client may show me the way out:-)

One minor correction:

- fixed or PTZ?

should read:

- auto pan-tilt?

because the zooming requirement is captured in the next question (fixed focal, varifocal or zooming?).

I know it's a bit clumsy, but the intention of separating the PT from the Z requirement is that sometime we do want PT only without Z.

Thanks.

yeah, never did get into it, yet. I have lots of ideas, but nowhere to go with them, yet. Maybe when I get off this rock Ill be able to take care of all those ideas finally!

For now im working on 2 new web sites and a couple other web applications, lots of code. Ill see inbetween if I can throw this idea together to see how it would work.

Rory

BTW, update, will get started on this as soon as I have finished a web application im developing right now, maybe next week or so..

Also, have some other ideas such as a web area dedicated to online demos for multiple DVR/Remote video, basically will represent EVERY manufacturer out there. Just want somewhere people can go and easily test out single or multiple demos of remote software, DVR or Network Servers, doesnt matter. Maybe have a registered and non regiestered users area, so reg users get free scripts such as the one mentioned in this thread, they can view more than a particular number of demos, or a particular number in one day, etc, but both will be free. Minor advertising (no pop ups - I hate them, banners only), then there will be sign ups for contributors who earn $$ % shares for contributing to code, scripts, or whatever .... Sound good?

Perhaps a FAQ for manufacturers, searchable (im writing a script right now that is a FAQ manager), search by Manufacturer Usage in the world, ratings, polls, NO FORUM, that is what this place is for!

Any other ideas???

Will start work on this/these as soon as I complete my current web project, like I said, by next week, or the following. All functions/Subs I am writing now are reusable accross all types of web applications dependant on the app. basically a library of the best/easiest/most usefull functions and subs, all contained in their own seperate file. They are all in classic ASP code BTW, ASPx is for dummies@! There is nothing that I cannot do in classic ASP, trust me, or ask me to prove it ....

Rory

Rory,

Don't know if it is what you are looking for or not but I have a spreadsheet with a LOT of live cameras that are out there and what type of system/cameras they are using.

Let me know if it will help you out.