rwoods

Motion Detection

Hi All,

Finally motivated to install a gv-1480 system that I have been wanting for quite some time. I am very pleased with the unit and software, but have a question regarding motion detection.

I have experimented with both the regular and advanced motion detection, and am curious if there is a way to tell the software to ignore short motion times without otherwise impacting sensitivity. It seems that every 2-3 minutes my cameras (outdoor ir bullets) get dive bombed by an insect at night (no doubt attracted to the infra-red led's) which triggers motion detection. The bugs are on screen for less then a second as they fly by. It would be nice if I could tell the software not to trigger motion unless it has exceeded a winow of time, but I can't figure out if that is possible or not.

If I set the sensitivity low enough that the bugs do not set it off, then it won't reliably pick up valid motion events. I have tried the luminance change feature in advanced motion and it didn't help.

It seems like it is a pain to review the logs and have 300-400 motion events per day, most of which are invalid because of insects or other really short motion (I see bird fly-bys a lot in the day time - again shorter then a second).

Does anyone have any tips for setting up motion?

Are most of you using the advanced motion detection settings or the regular ones. In my limited tests, regular seems to work better, but that is not conclusive.

As CameraGenius suggested, there is not a feature to fine tune for this. You could try using PIRs to trigger recording.

That is a good tip. I wonder if a low lux camera rather then a camera with infrared leds would work better, or will a reasonably priced low lux camera (I am using bullets now mounted under the eaves of my house) simply not work outside at night?

I am guessing that the bugs are attracted to the LED's. I will try putting a brighter light near the camera to try and attract the bugs away and see what happens.

Had the bright idea (no pun intended) to turn on the floodlights opposite the camera to see if they would "draw" the bugs away - no luck - see attached picture - the video right now looks like it is snowing because there are so many bugs. Is this a springtime thing, or just life with an IR bullet?

P.S. Thanks to all the people that post on this forum - I have been reading it for years trying to learn as much as I can before I put in my system.

tempcam.JPG.52a245fc1b2640fcf7dbb8a0b4dcef3e.JPG

Get a bug lamp thingy, install it away from the camera-

One of them UV ones.

I had this on a car yard once, guy never paid me the full amount, so I lost out on that one.

Turn ur sens to about7 and test it walking thru fast and slow- maybe map alot of zones so the object has to be larger to trigger. ....

It's just life with an IR bullet, bugs don't do that to plain cameras.

Do you have a webbing spider population? Spiders love IR too I've had customers that had to clean theirs weekly.

This happens to all cameras for me, ir, non ir, bullets, housed, domed etc

It seems that bugs and spiders just love anything camera shaped round here.

On one of my cams I have an army of magpies, sparrows and other assorted feathered friends that visit every single day to see if there are any bugs to eat, the magpies literally attack the camera.

My next attempt will be an electric wire that fries anything that comes near the cam, and probably blow the cams circuit board at the same time.