videobruce

Small, low cost LCD monitors?

I know LCD & analog CCTV cameras don't mix well, but there are advantages to LCD monitors;

1. Much less power consumption and heat generation,

2. Small footprint,

3. Very little overscan (huge problem with CRTs', especially cheaper ones),

4. NO convergence, varing grey scale or drift issues.

5. No geometric distortion.

Since they require 1 to 1 pixel mapping from a digital source (a computer with a DVI out for example) to obtain the correct image, CCTV cameras, especially the cheaper ones look terrible on them.

BUT, for non critical applications, say for an aux. monitor for a area where the viewer will be close to the screen and space is a premium, a small LCD seems to be the way to go.

After searching for hours, the two names that come up the most are Tote Vision and Marshall Electronics. Both are well known names in the video production/broadcast business for monitors used in EFP (electronic field production).

The problem is, they are very expensive. For what a 8 or 10" monitor costs, one could buy a high end 22" computer monitor.

Then I just happened to stumble across something I never thought of, LCD monitors for cars.

Small 10" and under screens designed for TVs' in cars, vans etc. for DVD players. The name that kept coming up was Lilliput (edit the 'dot');

lilliputweb DOT net/product7.html

Here is the site in the UK;

lilliputuk DOT com/products.php?cat=4

They have models up to 10". Many are 16x9, so you have to be sure of which one to choose since those are someone useless for 4x3 CCTV use. Some are touchscreen for computer use, but also have composite video in. At 1/3 the price of Totevision it was worth a try.

In the US these are sold from either e-bay or from Amazon (w/ Amazon being the better choice). The model I evaluated is the 858GL-80TV. They have a few different 8" versions with or w/o touchscreen. This one doesn't have touchscreen or a VGA input. It was $40 less than the one that did. The 10" version (w/ touchscreen) is $40 more over the 8" w/ touchscreen.

The 8" has 640x480 native resolution, while the 10" has 800x600. I didn't want/need touchscreen, and with 640x480 being close to the NTSC standard with this model made the most sense.

Pluses;

1. Cost (1/2 over 'professional' models)

2. 30 day return policy (Amazon)

3. Removable stand

4. Very efficent switching power supply. Almost no draw when off, 14 watts when 'on', 5 watts if input is blank,

5. Remote control.

Minuses;

1. Silver case (shown to be black in listing),

2. Very flimsy stand. Easy to tip over,

3. Very narrow vertical viewing angle,

4. Antenna connected to top of case without any tuner (adds to top heavyness),

5. So-so picture quality (no other small LCD to compare it to).

6. Propritary connector for video & power inputs. Long thin, fragile cables.

I have seen these smaller portable 'test' monitors sell for around the same price. With some modification the smaller versions (under 6") could/would be a possible subsistute.

If anyone else has found some other solutions, please post your finds here.

Edited by Guest

I think you have a pretty good grasp on this, the only thing I can add is you might look at Xenarc's offerings too.

Sometimes I install these small LCD above doors where the camera is on the other side. Way better then a peep hole.

indeed car monitors look promissing ... in the beginning.

Most of them fade out in quality, brightness very fast when being used 24h a day.