tyman00

Avoid/Identify Geovision Clones

I had a friend that put an order in for a bunch of DVR Cards.

They seemed to work fine for awhile. Well now I am having issues left and right. I think it is a combo of software and hardware. I look into it and it looks like the cards are Kodicom knock-offs.

I have read A LOT lately on cards and cameras and I am thinking that GeoVision is the way to go. I don't want to get burned again so I was wondering if someone knew of a list of GeoVision Authorized Resellers. I looked around their website without much and haven't received a reply to an email I sent them.

One of my suppliers that I use for my networking products carries GeoVision. The problem there is only about half of their products are the real deal and not Chinese knock-offs. So I don't want to get burned by them. Their images match the ones from the GeoVision site, but almost too perfectly which leads me to believe that is where the image came from.

I know with the policy of the forums you can't post links to companies here so I understand. If someone would like to email me or PM me some links to some Authorized resellers I would appreciate it. I am tired of digging through so many websites wondering if I would really be getting the real deal or not. Insight from those who know would be great!

Thanks!!!

Don't totally disregaurd Avermedia... Geovision has many benefits but also lacks some basics. I sell both and you really need to evaluate the specific situation to determine which one really fits best.

I blackball anyone selling pirate stuff, so they can have Linksys stuff for a $1 on Tues and I won't budge. If they are willing to shaft them why would you think they won't shaft you too?

It's almost impossible to tell via pictures on the internet, as you noticed they just use the ones from Geo's site. I doubt they would take the time to fully knock off the packaging, real Geo hards have a holygrams on the boards. Of course once you have it in hand, it's too late.

I'm glad to see you are doing the right thing.

We currently have 11 cameras (520 lines) to the DVR. Ranging from 6ft away to 150ft, I ran RG-59 simease cable to all cameras.

We might possibly go to wireless cameras/ip cameras in the future because we want some cameras on our lot (we are a trailer dealer). I am not sure if true Geo, Kodicom or Avermedia would support that. I had myself set to needing two machines, or two sets of software running to incorporate the wireless/ip when the time came.

Edit: I should add to clarify that we will keep the current 11 cameras we have and add the wireless/ip cameras to our network.

We don't really have PTZ or plan to use it. Remote viewing (web based) is a bonus, remote management would be nice but not required (can use VNC/RDP). We currently have P4 3.0ghz and 1gb of ram (can upgrade). Two 200gig drives (Raid 0) with 180gig partitioned for the video store. I can always add another drive for the OS so we get the full 200gig for store.

I was looking at the Geo GV-800, but I am open for suggestions. What would you recommend? I can give you other info on our setup if it helps. Thanks.

We are a distributor forl both AVerMedia and Geovision. Based on your current needs and possible future needs I would lean towards AVerMedia. AVerMedia is simpler to integrate IP cameras and has all the features you would utilize at your business. Dending on your systems configuration you may be able to use it but I would add more storage. PM me if you would like to discuss further.

Cliff