A client wants a low-cost camera to cover the back door.

We're talking about a low light condition.

The thought of black/white TV came up and I was wondering what the technology or rather how B/W has progressed from a technological standpoint.

In other words, Although we are tallking about B/W cameras has anyone found that there is a feature "gap" or anything lacking that I should consider.

I am looking to get a lower-cost camera in a low-light situation and color is not really a necessity, but a good quality image is.

Any specific cameras you can recommend as well?

Thanks

John

I do it all the time, just use a quality camera and you are good to go.

BW can carry greater resolution over the same cable (RG59), it typically superior however you can't identify things by color (cars).

Lower light sensitivity than a Day Night camera, but daytime quality can be an issue, and of course no color identification. It still has its place though, for certain.

Hey Whizkid!

Is this indoor, or outdoor?

Is this a restaraunt, bar, or night club?

If this is indoor and it has to be on the cheap I might suggest the Eclipse ECL 374.

Great B&W camera: KT&C KPC650BH (Exview) .00003 Lux

Great Color Day/Night Cam: Samsung SCCB2391

That sounds great are you able to direct me to a data sheet that proves those figures?

I've noticed reputable camera manufacturers often list their b&W cameras as 0.03 minimum lux however with frame integration the minimum lux is reduced to .003 and I'd imagine (not sure) that electronic gain would get it down to .0003.

But when you look at their specs they only ever list .03. So basically I'd like to find out what the .00003 quoted figure relates to, Is it without frame integration and without gain?

I've searched on google but couldn't find anything but the listed minimum lux and its' very cheap price of $130

EDIT:

I found their sales pdf, they list it as .0003 which sounds more likely. Some online retailers are stating .00003 though.

http://www.viewavision.co.za/productfiles/cameras/kpc350ch/KPC650BH.pdf