photys

Which CODEC for the police?

Where do I get the CODEC for:

1, Original .AVI files

2, Exported .AVI files

I will supply the police with the whole ViewLog backup and the exported files.

Also what do you supply the police for best Evidence sharing?

any video with any codec will not stand in Canadian courts

Police always take whole DVR for while if case is really serious

I have been involved in about 10 police cases and they haven't taken the DVR yet, usually they just take the CD/DVD of the incident and I have even had Police take the whole back up folder on a USB drive. If you do a complete back using the back up tools, they run the ezviewlog500.exe file, and the codecs will automatically install.

I have been involved in about 10 police cases and they haven't taken the DVR yet, usually they just take the CD/DVD of the incident and I have even had Police take the whole back up folder on a USB drive. If you do a complete back using the back up tools, they run the ezviewlog500.exe file, and the codecs will automatically install.

i been involved in few murder cases and after talking to

local police department forensic video unit that what they tell me

even more they do copy of the drive with their "own software".

I asked what they use and they politely refuse to tell me

Murders? Wow, I was only talking about Theft and vandalism and B&E's but I imagine the procedures in a murder case are much more strict.

I also asked what they use to view/edit/enhance the video and they wouldn't tell me a thing. Interesting.

Murders? Wow, I was only talking about Theft and vandalism and B&E's but I imagine the procedures in a murder case are much more strict.

I also asked what they use to view/edit/enhance the video and they wouldn't tell me a thing. Interesting.

As you know yourself any exported video is a "copy"

and "copy" will never stand in courts

but that life

Ive done backup of video (evidence sharing) for a murder before and it stood up in court. It was both on CD and VCR tape (tape is what they used in court actually). Other crimes the cops just have me copy the video to their USB drive and /or CD, in fact Im making a CD right now of a B&E for the cops.

It really depends on where you live and their individual requirements.

As to the OP's question, use the EZLog and copy that to their preferred backup device. If they want to take the DVR, have them reimburse you for a new one, or have them install a temporary one in the mean time.

No idea about canadian courts, but UK courts regard a digital copy as identical to the master, as long as chain of evidence is present and correct and its the same format as the original recording. Exporting the original recording on the hard drive to a different codec for cd use is probably a different kettle of fish, with its own possible legal issues. But as long as you export a like for like copy, in accordance with whatever chain of evidence rules are required, then in the UK at least, it should be fine. But as always, in the UK its down to the court on the day what they accept, if you get some grumpy old judge who is clueless, then you could be in trouble no matter what!

Backup and EZViewLog it is then.

The police can contact me if they need more.

ak357, 501, rory and kensplace, thank you all for taking the time to answer.