juggle007

Can someone identify this DVR?

hi,

i am looking to buy a 4 channel DVR and saw a few on ebay, but would like to get the full specs. as there is no manufacturer names, i wondered if someone recognized these machines and the weblink to the manufacturers websites

the ebay links are

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3834609442

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=60839&item=5714878066&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

thanks for any help.

regards

james

The first one looks like an avtech model. Its good for the price, but its a very entry level dvr with basic features. What is it going to be used for? For home use its not a bad machine, i personally wouldn't purchase this dvr on ebay, i'd buy it of a reputable supplier, PM me if you want a couple of companies. Also if you're in the trade, i can tell you, its a lot cheaper and you'd get better tech support and warranty.

try www.avtech.com.tw and http://www.avtech.com.tw/english/product_13_773.htm

As a company however, we've stopped using avtech dvrs. Started to get too many 16 channel PSU problems, only used couple of these machines, there are certainly more stable and higher quality 4 channel dvrs on the market at slightly higher prices.

For those prices, you cannot expect to get a good DVR, but for a home user, very basic unit, it will work ok, dont expect bells and whistels, and definately do not expect stability or longativity.

Rory

it will be for home use only and i don't really need lots of function. what i do need is reliability, are there any known issues with these models? do they freeze up or crash regularly?

my budget is around 300-500 UK pounds (about $800) what would anyone recommecnd? i only need 4 channels and be able to record sound as well, and at least 25fps per camera

regards,

james

One i have tested and am selling for home users, or low end retail, is the HiSharp 4 channel DVR, hasnt crashed on us yet. Multiplexed. Remote video is simple. Around $569 US dealer cost, depends how you are buying it, and it may be more or less in the UK.

Rory

what specs does the HiSharp have? is there a website i can visit? also if i buy a DVR from the US, are the electrical specs able to cope with the difference in electrical systems ( we have 240v, i know europe and US run different electrical systems)

i've read a lot about the reliability of these PC based DVR's and wondered how often do they actually crash? is it due to them being run 24/7? what if you rebooted the device daily, would that help reliability?

it's getting confusing!!

quite honestly, the cheap linux DVRs dont seem to be much more reliable than a PC based DVR. I buy them as they are stand alone, all in one, dont need a PC, just stick it in the closet. I use Kalatel Stand alones for inustrial installs, they are very stable, never had one crash on me, very strong units, great remote software and advanced search features. But you get what you pay for. Expensive PC systems will be stable as well, and give you many features, you buy a cheap one or use a cheap slow PC, its unlikely it wil be that great, same as for a stand alone.

The Hisharp locked up once, and it was while I was connected over the LAN, same thing with the Everfocus. Im a little fast for them I think, as my colleauge has not locked them up yet, he goes around slower and has more patience, im just so used to the Kalatel units.

You should be able to buy them in the UK. Or get one that is similar, I mean I only chose it as a low end unit, as my distributor in Miami sells them and they are cheap. They are the cheapest multiplexed 4 channel with LAN that they carry All in all its a simple unit, not much search capabililty remotely, but local is ok, live remote Video is clear, has removable HD, etc. You can search this same forum (Digital Video Recorders) and you shold see a post I made on it.

Rory

Jungle007,

a more popular 4 channel dvr in the uk market is the hunt one. We've started to supply this one. There is no audio, but its a lot more reliable and we've found this dvr to be a lot more robust than the avtech and motion is easier to set up. And if i'm correct, you can buy this dvr on the net for £259 with a 120GB. Also for £40-£50 more you can get an ethernet card built in.

http://www.hunt.com.tw/Products/01.asp?adaType=H06&adaArticleID=113&txtSearch=

thx CCTVINSTALLER for the link, it's a shame there is no audio!

when you talk about these cheap DVR's as 'unrealiable' what does that actually mean? does it mean after a few years it will cease to work, or the system after some use begins to freeze or crash?

regards,

james

Most of the problems i've mentioned are associated with the 16 channel versions of this model, most 4 channels on the market aren't bad but don't let the price fool you! Once you're going 4+ cameras, you'll have to be careful what yo buy. You'd do an installation one day, next day the dvr is not working (PSU problem). Sometimes you'd switch on a dvr brand new out of the box, and it would bleep but won't turn on (never figured out what was wrong with that dvr!) .

For home use however its quite good, especially for the price. But like rory said "dont expect bells and whistels, and definately do not expect stability or longativity". I haven't sold many of these models, and all of my installations with this model are fairly recent, so still waiting for something to happen. By the way, what cameras are you going to use?

I forgot another thing, dont expect much if any tech support from the manufacturer, or at least from the distributor, besides sending it back to change it out if it fails.

Rory

it sounds like the DVR i buy won't last, will it last years or months?

i have'nt decided on cameras yet, as i'm still figuring out the DVR, once i decide on that, then i'll look at cameras.

regards,

james

for only a couple hundred dollars, its okay if it doesnt last years, if you spend a couple thousand then you should expect it to last a few years or so.

Rory

If I spent a couple of thousand on a piece of equipment, I'd want it to outlast me!

Call me old fashioned, but I always thought that one of the most important things in terms of providing security systems, is to design out any possible problems related to component failures.

Admittedly, domestic and industrial are two completely different ball games, but their is a school of thought that if you supply stable and reliable systems, you get repeat work based on reputation (rather than a steady revenue stream from constant service calls).

Apart from existing postings, it would be really interesting to see what are the most reliable (and unreliable) DVR's and which manufacturers are prepared to offer the best ongoing support?

all the big names seem to provide great support, small names just want the sale then to move on.

Appart from Extreme CCTV, who is the best tech support Ive seen with any products yet but that is cameras, GE has been very good in the DVR area, and product manuals that come with it are extensive, Everfocus, basic support, HiSharp barely any, provideo same. Everfocus, HiSharp, and Provideo all locked up the DVR while accessing on a slow LAN, GE Never.

You always pay extra for the product with better support and more stability.

http://all the big names seem to provide great support, small names just want the sale then to move on.

That is absolute Crapola..... In fact i would go as far as to say the opposite, larger companies have more customers, therefore offering less support.. Look I have used the 4ch AVtech range for some time now an only 1 has failed, You will get a load more features out of a Klatel unit but you will basically be getting the same device... The boards are very similar, just a little less well built.. Stability is fine.. mind you I have heard of issues with the 16Ch varieties, 4 ch only uses one chip so not as heavy a load and does not have to control the signal as much so is as safe as houses.

For home use go for the AV TEch, if you want better remote features and all the bells and whistles then hay buy a Kalatel, but get ready to be massively ripped of on price.

Personally I prefer PC but to get a stable one you need to spend good money so that may not be the option for you.

Reputable companies..loosely translates as .....OVERHEADS therefore the product costs more. I can say that the Kalatel is however the second best of the Standalones that I have seen but it is WAY overpriced.

As for support, there has been more complaints about GE's support on this forum than any other so that is hogwash!

thats not 'hogwash' whatever that means. Their support is the best I have encountered, among the DVRs I listed, I dont know where you are getting that their support is terrible, I have never had an issue.

I have also dealt direct with Korean DVR manufacturers recently, and none of their products have yet to give me the features of a Kalatel DVR, plus they are only like $500 less. I then also have to buy 100 units to get that price! If you look at their sales pitch, they claim 120pps or 240pps in the stand alones, but then if you look closer, that is at VCR quality, when you go to close to DVD quality, as the Kalatels are, then you get 30pps or 60pps, so they false advertise. I do wish the prices would drop, but then they are still cheaper than Dedicated Micros and Phillips and Pelco and Ultrack, so they arent that overpriced.

If you check the Kalatel prices now, you will notice their 16 channel StoreSafes have dropped by almost $1000 in price since they have brought out the new 60pps StoreSafes and the DVMRe with DVD and 120pps.

And on the other note, you are definately not getting the same unit if buying the cheap unit, I have use the cheap Linux ones, and they are crap compared to the Kalatel Units, but for home or cheap retail use they are fine. In fact I have one running here at my own appartment. Though like i said dont expect a strong unit, it is okay and pretty stable, but does not compare to a higher end unit that cost more.

I imagine as it is built in the US, the Kalatel units are going to be more expensive in Australia, so If i lived ther myself, it would not be feasable to sell their units.

DVR, what you are doing is basically comparing something like saying an AMD Duron board is similar to a Intel P4, but ofcourse one performs better.

I say gentlemen ... steady on!

At this stage of the 'discussion', it would appear that support is very variable, reliability is somewhat variable, and availability is extremely variable, depending on which bit of the globe we're sitting on.

There are certainly manufacturers mentioned that have no significant presence (if at all) here in the UK, and one would imagine, other parts of Europe; a massive number of manufacturers products being marketed in the Far East, and a small but significant number of trusted brands, covering each individual home market.

But how do the major, major brands sit in all of this. Companies like Sony, JVC, Panasonic, Sanyo, Hitachi, Philips (now Bosch), etc. etc (apologies to any I missed out). Is it a case that they are way too expensive for general use, so only the large corporate clients buy their products, or are they 'struggling' in the face of serious underpricing from the Korean / Taiwanese manufacturers? Any thoughts?

But how do the major, major brands sit in all of this. Companies like Sony, JVC, Panasonic, Sanyo, Hitachi, Philips (now Bosch), etc. etc (apologies to any I missed out). Is it a case that they are way too expensive for general use, so only the large corporate clients buy their products, or are they 'struggling' in the face of serious underpricing from the Korean / Taiwanese manufacturers? Any thoughts?

GE, whats bigger than that

Anyway, no I doubt they are hurting. Korean products are really not underpricing by that much. I was doing price checking on Asian DVRs, at least Korean ones, and found them not to be much cheaper at all, to the Units with comparable features. Didnt know Hitachi was a player?? Taiwanese is much cheaper though, like everfocus, etc. They are big sellers in the low end market around here.

Just to toss in my two cents...size doesn't affect tech support. Commitment to tech support affects it. Take dell for example. I have to call them later on a bad mobo (got beat in shipping, ram slot bent at an 80 degree angle.) The people I'm going to talk to are differant then the ones joe average would get. Why? Because we shelled out for the better gear so we get better support. There are pros and cons to small vs large. We're a small shop, and if I have a question about how something works, I can go ask our programers. Large shops can have 50 people doing nothing but stress testing.

GE who? I know they brand as Kalatel, but a household name in this neck of the woods, I don't think so.

Okay so Hitachi only do VHS and Super VHS (DVD doesn't count eh, even though it sounds like DVR), which of course shouldn't be mentioned in a digital forum, but hey, I forgot Mitsubishi as well, so they'll probably also take me off their Christmas card list this year!

There does appear to be a huge pricing differential between entry level 'Taiw-ean' and branded Japanese DVR's on this side of the pond, but as they say, you pays yer money ....

I've just had a call from someone wanting the cheapest DVR available; I think he was a bit disappointed when I said he'd have to go to Seoul to collect it.

I think Thomas you may well be right in that service support should be an attitude, and not simply an optional add on.

GE - General Electric - they are bigger then phillips, honeywell, etc.

They dont just do Kalatel, in fact they only bought them a year or so ago. Kalatel is a part of GE Interlogix, one very small portion of the company. GE makes everything you can think of.

you forgot samsung also

O.k., alright, I do know who GE are, but what I was trying to get across is that they do not have a significant presence in the U.K. CCTV market

I didn't include Samsung in my brief collection of 'Premiership Division' players, because quite frankly, they aren't.

As I said before, those that may be big name players in one country, can be virtually unknown in another.

Now I wonder ... do GE make ..... Picture in Picture units?

Now I wonder ... do GE make ..... Picture in Picture units?

the DVRs have PIP yes.