juggle007

Can someone identify this DVR?

http://GE - General Electric - they are bigger then phillips, honeywell, etc.

They dont just do Kalatel, in fact they only bought them a year or so ago. Kalatel is a part of GE Interlogix, one very small portion of the company. GE makes everything you can think of.

This is true but boy oh boy do they charge you for it, come off it Rory, half the people do not need any more features than the AVTECH supports and the twomachines are made in the same fashion with an embedded OS, in fact I would have to say the AVtech has less chance of crashing than the Kalatel.

Once AGAIN The Kalatel is not made in the US only assembled there it all comes from ASIA, this is just a branding ploy, Kalatel gear is average to good, the Storesafe is pretty good for a low end model, hardly sells here because of the low frame rate.. As for pricing of the Kalatel, I was offered very low pricing for the gear, OOHHH and yes thats Australian made considering it is assembled here.

Thomas.. I take your point about commitment, but not all companies do this, especially if you are a small installer and they have many large accoounts to handle.. I read many posts on how bad kalatel and GE were to deal with and I can comfortably say from my own experiences that they are absolutley useless here!

http://GE - General Electric - they are bigger then phillips, honeywell, etc.

They dont just do Kalatel, in fact they only bought them a year or so ago. Kalatel is a part of GE Interlogix, one very small portion of the company. GE makes everything you can think of.

This is true but boy oh boy do they charge you for it, come off it Rory, half the people do not need any more features than the AVTECH supports and the twomachines are made in the same fashion with an embedded OS, in fact I would have to say the AVtech has less chance of crashing than the Kalatel.

Once AGAIN The Kalatel is not made in the US only assembled there it all comes from ASIA, this is just a branding ploy, Kalatel gear is average to good, the Storesafe is pretty good for a low end model, hardly sells here because of the low frame rate.. As for pricing of the Kalatel, I was offered very low pricing for the gear, OOHHH and yes thats Australian made considering it is assembled here.

Thomas.. I take your point about commitment, but not all companies do this, especially if you are a small installer and they have many large accoounts to handle.. I read many posts on how bad kalatel and GE were to deal with and I can comfortably say from my own experiences that they are absolutley useless here!

They would like to hear from anyone that claims they are not made in the USA, they are very commited to the fact that they build them in the US.

StoreSafe 60pps, thats not slow. Im sorry the aussies are not getting a good DVR. AVTEch i would imagine (without looking at the web site) is embedded linux, a completely different OS from the ones used in Kalatel's and others. Linux sucks for stability, I have used 3 of them lately and they lock up alot. They require a PC Watchdog. Kalatel never lock up. Ive been using multiple Kalatel DVRs for the past 3 years so I would have locked them up by now if they were going to, these others locked up in the first couple days. I still sell them though as they are budget DVRS.

Another thing you need to check with your Linux DVRs, when they claim 240pps that is in VCR quality, it is then 60pps in DVD quality, or if it is 120pps then it is 30pps equivelant, so they are just as 'slow'. ANd most of them are only 640x not 700x like in the Kalatels. Id like to know your opinion of the next best DVR above the Kalatel, if its DM then you havent used either much side by side. I tested the DM a couple times over the past month, doesnt compare to the equivelant Kalatel unit in many features, including speed.

Once again, this is from first hand experience over the past 3 years, not just from buying one and saying it is 'like this' or 'like that'. I dont know what products you are getting over there, or even if you ever actually got one of the StoreSafe units, as you dont know anything about it from all your posts on it.

Im not defending GE or Kalatel or anyone as noone pays my bills, I am just telling the facts as they have been for 3 years now. I think your predujice to Kalatel stands with the Sales Agent in Australia, not with the actual company. US Tech support is great, then again it is a US company.

They would like to hear from anyone that claims they are not made in the USA, they are very commited to the fact that they build them in the US.

Assembled and Built are not the same thing, there is not one true CCTV Manufactorer in the US that I know of it ALL COMES FROM ASIA... here is a good quote from a good website

This can get very confusing to those who are not familiar with the products on the market. But this can be more confusing when the company in which you "trust" tell's you that they "manufacture" the product they sell - when in fact they do not. Most of the companies that claim to "Manufacturer" their own DVR Card product cannot even give adequate technical support let alone answer simple questions about the products capabilities. We love to see the successful growth of the United States economy but, the sad fact is that there is not one single DVR Card manufacturing facility in this country. Let me say this again, there is not one single company in this country that manufacturers DVR Card products. Anyone who tells you, "We manufacturer this DVR Card product" is lying. They do not. Nobody in this country does & we have Taiwan and Korea to thank for that. (Hey, that's what import is all about, right?)

Rory, even Alan told you they don't manke it but you beleive the hype buddy!

I am so over you Rory, the Kalatel crashed many times when I tested it, there are plenty of good standalones here but the Kalatel is just way too slow and way oevrpriced...Youa re paying for a name and you are very wrong, I have sold manymany AVtechs and yes they arent as powerfull as the Kalatel but they cost nothing near it and most of the functions ytou speak of arent needed, god knows if they were Geo would be everywhere.. Why have none of mine crashed?????? and are you SURE the Avtech is an embedded linux, actually never checked because... NONE HAVE EVER FAILED.. (well 1 has actually) but I suspect it was bashed

no PC watchdog in the AVtech!!!

I didnt claim the the DM was faster, just better value and easier to use, none of them aree worth that amount of money there are many better that I have seen now there are some that do full pall at 480FPS

Dont get cute on me RORY, I tested that ****ty unit and you know I put a full report on here, you are a really arrogant bugger mate and I am sick of you sprouting off about how bad PC's and how wonderfull your kalatels are, how many DVR's have you sold mate... not many hay.. pays to do research.. and unless your selling them offshore!

The kalatel is a good unit but not worth the money at all and No i never would have said anything negative about it at all except that yo so often and proudly make notes that PC's are unstable and poor qualioty machines

Assembled and Built are not the same thing, there is not one true CCTV Manufactorer in the US that I know of it ALL COMES FROM ASIA... here is a good quote from a good website

This can get very confusing to those who are not familiar with the products on the market. But this can be more confusing when the company in which you "trust" tell's you that they "manufacture" the product they sell - when in fact they do not. Most of the companies that claim to "Manufacturer" their own DVR Card product cannot even give adequate technical support let alone answer simple questions about the products capabilities. We love to see the successful growth of the United States economy but, the sad fact is that there is not one single DVR Card manufacturing facility in this country. Let me say this again, there is not one single company in this country that manufacturers DVR Card products. Anyone who tells you, "We manufacturer this DVR Card product" is lying. They do not. Nobody in this country does & we have Taiwan and Korea to thank for that. (Hey, that's what import is all about, right?)

Rory, even Alan told you they don't manke it but you beleive the hype buddy!

I am so over you Rory, the Kalatel crashed many times when I tested it, there are plenty of good standalones here but the Kalatel is just way too slow and way oevrpriced...Youa re paying for a name and you are very wrong, I have sold manymany AVtechs and yes they arent as powerfull as the Kalatel but they cost nothing near it and most of the functions ytou speak of arent needed, god knows if they were Geo would be everywhere.. Why have none of mine crashed?????? and are you SURE the Avtech is an embedded linux, actually never checked because... NONE HAVE EVER FAILED.. (well 1 has actually) but I suspect it was bashed

no PC watchdog in the AVtech!!!

I didnt claim the the DM was faster, just better value and easier to use, none of them aree worth that amount of money there are many better that I have seen now there are some that do full pall at 480FPS

Dont get cute on me RORY, I tested that ****** unit and you know I put a full report on here, you are a really arrogant bugger mate and I am sick of you sprouting off about how bad PC's and how wonderfull your kalatels are, how many DVR's have you sold mate... not many hay.. pays to do research.. and unless your selling them offshore!

The kalatel is a good unit but not worth the money at all and No i never would have said anything negative about it at all except that yo so often and proudly make notes that PC's are unstable and poor qualioty machines

... Most of the companies that claim to "Manufacturer" their own DVR Card product cannot

Its the same for board manufactorers as well the board for the Kalatel is manufactured in ASIA it may be assembled in the US but that does not make it US made

Strewth!!!

I try and get a few hours sleep and look what happens!

Isn't it amazing how a simple thread about identifying a DVR, can rapidly descend into an intercontinental incident.

To the best of my knowledge, provided a product has a certain percentage of home manufactured components incorporated into the design, the manufacturer can claim it's built in a particular country, even if to most casual observers it just looks like a final assembly job. After all, that's why many of the Far Eastern manufacturers ended up building hugh assembly plants within the European Union (avoiding import duties, receiving subsidies etc. etc.).

If the worst we have to worry about is whether a product is 'manufactured' or 'assembled' in a particular country, then hey, what's the problem?

On the issue of standalones v. PC's, their are rubbish standalones on the market, and some very poorly built PC's. Any disagreement on that?

The CCTV industry (globally) has grown at a breathtaking rate in recent years, and inevitably their are a great many people struggling to come to terms with the technology, who rely on experienced 'experts' to help them out when the need arises; that after all is what makes this site so enormously valuable.

So maybe, on the odd occasion when highly knowledgable (and respected) individuals have a strong difference of opinion, they should perhaps choose their moment and simply agree to differ.

Thomas, ever considered a career change? perhaps a professional referee?

I'm with you on this one.

Ive got stray dogs dragging my garbage out into the middle of the road every night; everynight wondering who's going to trip my alarm beams and whether it will be another violent conference with an armed robber, whether going to get shot or chapped with a machete arriving home every day/night, armed police getting gunned down let alone neighbors getting raped and robbed in broad daylight in their own home, price of gas, price of everything, bills up the wazoo, 3rd world fatigue, finding something to eat out besides fried chicken and BBQ ribs, hot weather, more hot weather, insects not know to human science yet, flatenned carcas of a dead cat run over and over for past 48 hours in the middle of the main road outside my appartment, UMMMM, I can go on but you get the point, YEP, there are more important things to worry about FOE REAL.

On the issue of standalones v. PC's, their are rubbish standalones on the market, and some very poorly built PC's. Any disagreement on that?

none what so ever!

look I admit I gave it to him both barrells, but so often he has stated that PC's are unstable and that they fall over, and that is garbage, due to people like this making these statements (and I dont blame him, thats what GE and others use to market their product) poeple fear PC machines and the only reason they do it is to sell more of thier product which is not as good (in my opinion)

This really annoys me (gee can you tell) the fact remains that some companies brag about US Made...Stable AS....Better than a failing PC and yet they build standalones with components that I would never use in a pink fit.

I am not angry at Rory more at the manufactorer that breeds this hype.. and then the distributor that echoes it without knowing any better.. simple fact is that if PC's broke all the time and were as unstable as Rory says then I would be out of business because the thousands that I have sold now would most definately have brocken by now and I would have alot of angry customers... but for some reason I do not!

Rory,

I really don't think this part time job with the Bahamas Tourist Board is going to work out - you'd better stick to what you're good at

(and stay safe!)

DVR Expert Australia,

Thank the lord you're not angry with Rory, otherwise I'd be trying to get the window locks off by now.

There's more than enough dis-information in the market place; we can't be right about everything all the time, but at least if we can respect others opinions, right or wrong, and spot a load of old marketing hype when we see it, then hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

May the sun shine (gently) on us all!

There is always a grey area in where something is made. Our card is fabbed in Asia, but our software is coded in the US. Our tech support and testing are in the US. So what do we count as? We're in a global society and it doesn't matter so much where something is made anymore.

ILL SAY ONE LAST THING IN THIS THREAD - NOWHERE - NOWHERE HERE DID I BRING UP ANYTHING ABOUT PC BEING LESS STABLE THAN STANDALONES OR VICE VERSA OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT AT ALL - STOP BEING PARANOID...JUST LIKE KALATEL OR PHILLIPS OR ULTRACK YOU ONLY CARE ABOUT SALES ALSO.

AND ITS MY OPINION WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT, FROM EXPERIENCE OVER THE PAST 9 YEARS FROM USING WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEMS. LIKE IT OR NOT, IM ALLOWED AN OPINION JUST AS YOU ARE SO I WILL ALWAYS STATE IT REGARDLESS OF HOW SOMEONE ELSE MAY FEEL ONE DAY TO THE NEXT. LOVE IT OR HATE IT, I REALLY DONT CARE. peace.

You may not have stated it in this thread, but lest bring up the other 400 threads were you clag off on PC machines, for someone that knows so much baout the stabilty of windows and uses ME (need I say more)!

You may not have stated it in this thread, but lest bring up the other 400 threads were you clag off on PC machines, for someone that knows so much baout the stabilty of windows and uses ME (need I say more)!

I USE ME AS MY POWER MACHINE - I USE XP DAILY ON SEVERAL OTHER PCS AT THE OFFICE AND HAVE FOR A WHILE PLUS I SERVICE/INSTALL BOTH XP & ME PCS.

YOU JUST LIKE TO KEEP BRINGING IT UP - ITS ALL YOU - YOU ARE PARANOID AND ONLY CARE ABOUT SALES FOR GEO. YOU DO NOT CARE ABOUT SECURITY

Very wrong indeed, I like good products, I hate the way geo does business and if there was a better product I would drop them in a heartbeat! In honesty I cwould love to change from the dishonest way that geo does business but unfortunately I cant becuase they still are the best, hay as I said the Kalatel is the second best DVR I have seen in standalone and I do not change my opinion on that.

I like to be honest.. Hell Is ell Ganz and it is awesome, but not a patch on Ikegami or Sanyo and I sell neither of these.

I just doen make false statements about things that I know nothing about.. PC Machines are stable and you know it.. but everytime someone suggest it in here you slag it off as unstable and breakable.. you slag off at windows all the time and you are wrong... by slagging off at PC based machines you carry that garbage hype that people spread and it affects business so why can I not slag your product off?

Christ, neither of you is going to convert the other and this arguement is making both of you look like fools.

Christ you may be right, but the 'DVR expert' knows it all

im outa..

ps. i sell some pc DVRs also. just fyi...