drewliebs

BULLET CAMERA INSTALLATION

Hi guys

I just quoted a job where I will be using (4) IR bullets to cover the back area of a shipping/recieveing dock. can anyone give me suggestions for installing the cameras, as the concrete wall is 12 inches thick, and does not allow me enough clearance to pull the video/power pigtails from the camera inside the dwelling.

Is there a box or some sort of housing that I can mount the cameras on, and also put the excess wiring inside..... Any tips would be helpful.... Thanks.

Hello! Is this a cheap bid install, or is this a high dollar, or a high end install?

If I were doing a cheap budget install I would drill one hole, and run the wires along the outside wall. I would take the camera leads and fold them up "like a bow" and zip tie both ends of the bow, and the center of the bow. To tighten the slack I just pull on the bow to pick up the slack. Now the connectors are exposed to the elements, or you can use heat shrink to cover the connectors.

On a high end job or where expectations suggest that the wire should be secure I would use a PVC double gang box on the wall. I would drill through the wall and bring the inside wiring to the outside and place everything in the box. You can mount the camera on the box, or to the side of the box. I hate doing this to some degree because the wires are bent at very sharp angles at the connectors. This may cause problems down the road. It is possible to lose the wire out of the connector. With the box it makes it easy to get to it, and since you left a little extra wire for service it is easly fixed.

I would make a large hole to handle the bnc and power connectors at each camera. I would have the wire folded up with a couple of turns to make a bow, and leave the slack inside the the hole that you drilled. The connectors are not exposed to the weather, the wires are not exposed and looking "sloppy".

You can put foam spray in both ends of the hole, not all the way just enough to provide some insullation if there is HVAC on the inside. Everything is on the inside of the hole, and secure.

If you had to, you could make an extension to bring the camera wires to the inside of the building and then have your connections there at the hole to connect to the run. I would not recommend this as you have way to many connections on one line. On the inside of the building you have two connectors with a bnc adapter, and you have one in the hole with a bnc connector, and the camera connection. You also have the same with the power side of the wiring as well.

Time / Budget / Customer Expectations.

Oh yes! Have fun drilling all of those holes!!!!

weatherproof PVC single gang box (only need a single for 1 camera, in fact 2 cameras can fit in one single). Buy it at the local electrical store.

http://images.orgill.com/200x200/6910186.jpg

Drill a hole and pull the wire through that, and put the box over that hole matching the holes up, and bring the wire into the box. Mount the camera on the side or near it, if you can hide the camera cable even better. Bring the camera cable into the box, and make connections.

Using Bullet cameras is already a budget job, just make the best out of it.

Ive also mounted the camera to the box before, didnt like it, and havent done it since; to get into the box, you have to basically move the camera, which sucks for maintenance issues.

Another thing you could do, depending on the size of the bullet cameras, is cut the camera cable inside the bullet, then splice in your own cable, or if it uses standard screw type terminals inside the camera (not soldered as many are) then replace it with a longer cable. Depends how well versed you are with the camera though, as you could end up damaging it somehow. This would essentially do away with the need for the box on the wall, though unless you splice in the Siamese cable, you still need somewhere to tie the 2 connections together. I'd go with the first mentioned method myself.

thanks everyone for your assistance. I think i am going to go with the Gang box, as i want the job to look as good as posisble......

I will keep you informed of my progress and post pics after...

have a great Day.