jsavchak

What is a GOOD residential video surveillance system??

My mother has recently had several outside appliances stolen and would like me to install a video surveillance system that may catch the crook.

Since mostly expert level installers are on this site I figured this would be the best place for the best answer.

Here's the scenario:

We need only 4 cameras. 3 will cover the entrances and 1 will cover a shed just over 100 feet away.

I would like to monitor mostly at night, as this seems to be when she gets visited. (she has an internal closed-circuit alarm to cover break in's)

Motion detection is a thought of ours but I understand it has it's up's and downs.

A stand alone dvr system has been the directions I've been going towards, with network access so that most editing could be done through the internal web server.

Could you guys lead me toward a industry standard system that would last for a while. If problems occur in the future I would like to be able to easily buy compatible hardware for the existing system.

I would like to get one for under $2000 but you guys are the experts. Lead me to a great entry level system with a budget in mind.

Thanks.......

John

If you want "catch" them you will need to get a face shot not just an overview of the scene -so be careful with camera placement you

might need a few 8 or 12mm lens`s to get up close.

z

I would;

- direct burry a CAT5 to the shed.use gel filled.

- install a IR bullet inside the shed, assuming all equipment is inside it.

- install/upgrade lighting in the areas your other 3 cameras are going to be installed. Motion lighting is best.

- install high res low light armor domes.......on house.

- DVR? shop around and demo a few to find the one you need. I recommend the Avermedia standalone types, EB1304NET should do it.

motion? Stuff works as long as you get it with the latest technology. Optiplex makes good stuff