voloftn

DC Power Issue

On my 16 camera system, I have a 16-port power box divided into two 8-port supplies. It supplies a steady 11.95v to the boards that power the cameras when they are cut off. But when I turn on the power to 8 of the cameras, it's output to either one of the boards starts dropping. Again I only have one board (8 cameras) powered up. The output will drop to 8v to 10v and it jumps in that range. The lights that indicate the power to each of the 8 cameras will dim and change in intensity.

In other words, the power supply drops its voltage when the cameras are pulling from it. The power supply has worked fine for the past year with no issues. Do I need a new supply?

Thanks for your help.

sounds like you need a new power supply. Some cameras will operate as low as 10VDC but not all. Id change it. You can also just get the power supply itself without the box etc, Altronix make some of those, should be able to get one from your local electronic/electric shop, if not they can be found online easy enough.

If the box has 2 power supplies, one for each board, have you tried just using the 2nd board instead?

Unfortunately, it just has one supply that connects to both boards.

I will start my search for a new board. I bought the power supply from Digital Watchguard and it is manufactured by Preferred Power Products.

Unfortunately, it just has one supply that connects to both boards.

I will start my search for a new board. I bought the power supply from Digital Watchguard and it is manufactured by Preferred Power Products.

It may be under warranty. Check the mfg.

As Rory mentioned, if not under warantee, you can buy the transformers without the can. Then just swap them out.

I called Preferred Power Products and they are sending me a new board (completely free). Hopefully I won't have to change power supplies. They have a lifetime warranty on their products.

Thanks for all of the help!

[/code]

As Rory mentioned, if not under warantee, you can buy the transformers without the can. Then just swap them out.

Yep sorry, forgot the warranty thing .. we dont typically use them down here .. unless its like a $1000+ item ..

put a current meter on each cam sounds like one of them is drawing to much

-I have had this problem before.

z