Kermit1654

I Need to keep an eye & ear on my Mom

My mother is in her 80's and has mild alzheimer's disease. She lives alone and is very independent and won't consider going to an assited living community. I'd like to keep and eye and ear on her 24/7 to make sure shes ok. I have a cctv system monitoring my home and thought setting up a system in her home that would allow us to monitor her over the internet could help us keep her safe.

I'm looking for preferably, some type of embeded DVR with a web server built in, that would allow us to keep eye on her and also allow us to HEAR her over the net if something happens. I'd like to have 16 channels available, along with as high a live fps rate and picture quality over the web as possible.

From what I've researched, a embeded dvr that offers realtime audio over the web seems to be hard to find. Most of the dvr's I've seen will record audio but won't stream it over the web when your viewing the cameras realtime. Can any one recommend a dvr that would fit the bill?

you will need a good amount of bandwidth at her house to stream the audio and video same time......just something to keep in mind

She doesn't have anything yet. I was going to set her up with either a Cable modem or DSL and then have only the DVR running on it. I guess I was figuring one of these would provide enough bandwidth for both the video and audio?

i'd install a 4 channel DVR with mpeg4, audio. most decent dvr now have streaming audio, both ways. all of mine are installed with audio and I can view 4 cameras & audio with no issues via dsl. one channel with audio is no sweat.

I'd also recommend installing a simple wireless router and a Axis207MW. comes with audio installed. No wires to run and the quality will blow away any analog system. Purchase some IP recording software, like Video Insights, and record off-site. I am recording the mother-inlaw in Idaho via a Pixord (outdoor camera & PTZ) and a Axis (indoor) via a Linksys router that is connected to a microwave dish that communicates to a ski resorts dsl link. all works great! since it is IP I record all the video here in SC.

There are some standalone dvrs can completely fit your request. 16 channels, with h.264 compression,with audio realtime, support network function, can control ptz cameras, etc. you can trough install high quality high speed dome cameras with such kind dvr, then knowing everything from internet, caring your mom very well.

i'd install a 4 channel DVR with mpeg4, audio. most decent dvr now have streaming audio, both ways. all of mine are installed with audio and I can view 4 cameras & audio with no issues via dsl. one channel with audio is no sweat.

I'd also recommend installing a simple wireless router and a Axis207MW. comes with audio installed. No wires to run and the quality will blow away any analog system. Purchase some IP recording software, like Video Insights, and record off-site. I am recording the mother-inlaw in Idaho via a Pixord (outdoor camera & PTZ) and a Axis (indoor) via a Linksys router that is connected to a microwave dish that communicates to a ski resorts dsl link. all works great! since it is IP I record all the video here in SC.

Thanks for the info, it helped a lot. I found a Nuvico DVR Model NVDV316250 250gb hd online that looks like it would work and has the audio capability, but in reading through the owners manual, it looks like it would be a pain in the butt to get everything set up. That Axis system you recommended sounds like it might be the easiest (more plug & play) way to go since I haven't had a lot experince with networking. I think I'm leaning toward going that way. Thanks again VST Man.

I am recording the mother-inlaw in Idaho via a Pixord (outdoor camera & PTZ) and a Axis (indoor) via a Linksys router that is connected to a microwave dish that communicates to a ski resorts dsl link. all works great! since it is IP I record all the video here in SC.

Whats the Microwave dish? I need something for my parents in the outislands here .. how far does it go and what kind of licensing is required?

Thanks!

Rory

I was curious if you had a deal with the resort to use their internet.

What kind of deal did they give you? Let me guess; you get the internet for free, but you had to install some cameras for resort?

Rory....http://www.niwb.net/

Intermax provides internet to the resort, I pull a connection from there and pay Intermax.

Kermit...if you need help PM me and I'll give ya my phone number. Setting up a router to handle wireless is easy and I can talk ya thru it or remote into the router and set it up...after I'm gone you can turn off the remote on the router and change passwords if your worried about "me"....but many can vouch for my professionalism and client confidentiality.

you will most likey also need a auto Dynamic IP updater (done inside the router and updated by http://www.dyndns.com/ I can talk you thru that also.

You may want to consider this Powermax+ security system as a simple alternative. Besides the normal door and window sensors, you can add a panic button that can be used to trigger the alarm. When triggered, the system can call out to any phone or call a monitoring company. If you have it call you, you can answer and listen to what's happening at the other end, plus you can talk over its loudspeaker. It acts like an auto-answer speakerphone. Other good things - you can access the unit via the web and receive alarms or control it. It also has integrated IP cameras that you can view via the web same web interface, that will record when the alarm is triggered. One limitation - you have to use their IP cameras. And the update rate and picture quality are not great, but it gets the job done.

I'm very happy with my system.