GunRunner1

night vision questions

what's the best way to get quality images at night outside with out the use of normall lights? Cost is a issue.

I have a IR LED I bought on e-bay, will it work with a regular black & white camera?

Whats the best kind of night vision light?

Any thought's or idea's?

Thanks,

I was planning on using a Black & White box camera in a enclosure. and the LED IR in another enclosure mounted on top of it. The area I want to view is totally dark and about 300' away from my DVR.

If you dont mind spending the $$, Extreme CCTV has the best Infrared Gear, check out the UF500 IR Bulb, goes up to 500'+.

Hello,

This is a big question when it comes to night vision. There are several different factors you must include when buying. You need a night vision camera with a true IR cut filter. You also need a good quality camera in order for the night vision to work properly and not be blury. Hope that helps a bit. Contact me if you have any other questions. Thanks

I want to situate a camera to look out of the window to view the front of the house. If I get a camera with infrared built in, will this work through a single pane of glass?

Will the IR pass through the glass?

Will the glass diminish the IR at all?

Will I end up with a glare on the screen from the IR bouncing off the glass?

Thanks

Bryan.

You will end up with one big bright spot, being the IR reflecting back from the glass. If you can get the camera lens right up on the glass touching it, or close enough and have a foam ring or something around it to block the IR, then it may work, after all the IR is still just light; but with an all in one IR camera you may find that difficult to do.

Agree with Rory. It's highly unlikely that you will achieve good results from an IR cam inside a window looking out. This is why most IR cams tend to be housed in weatherproof enclosures, so that they can be mounted outside.

It's to keep an eye on my car on the street. I live in a terraced house and I prefer people to not know I have a camera at all. So far I've been using a pair of board camera's which has been great as you cant tell they're there and there is enough street light so even during the night I can still see everything.

Thing is the current camera's are A)black and white, and B) only 320 Tvl...so I can see what's going on, just not really able to identify anyone. This is why I was thinking of splashing out on a new camera, from what I've read something around 550 TVL should give a clear picture. Trouble is the car is parked about 15 meters from the front of the house / camera so I'm hoping upping to a X-Vision PCC425 will make a big difference.

Can anyone advise if this is a good camera and what would be the best lense to add to this to view a 15ft area from 15m in detail?

This is a big question when it comes to night vision. There are several different factors you must include when buying. You need a night vision camera with a true IR cut filter. You also need a good quality camera in order for the night vision to work properly and not be blury

I cant say I agree with the above... You dont have to have an IR Cut filter camera, you could just go Black and White and the back focus or focus shift is not alwys related to camera quality.

If I get a camera with infrared built in, will this work through a single pane of glass?

Yes, However most cameras with built in Leds (not all) are fairly week and cheap, the IR wont go very far, you can t control the IR Beams focus, thats why the UF100's are brilliant, you can choose the area you want to cover and spread your IR where you want it, they are also very good equipment.

Will I end up with a glare on the screen from the IR bouncing off the glass?

In Cheaper models you may have this issue, also when the glass gets dirty!

Bike is right you will need to zoom in a bit, or run a second car battery and charge a spare one and record onto a car DVR this way your closer to the object, you may be confusing resolution with field of view, you need a face to take up 30% of the screen for identification purposes